CD Projekt Red has acknowledged the existence of a rather nasty issue with Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, specifically on PS5. While it's unclear just how widespread this problem is, you can find plenty of (understandably devastated) posts about it on Reddit and social media.
Basically, save files are somehow being corrupted, preventing players from loading them up as they potentially lose hundreds of hours of playtime. "We are currently investigating an issue for PlayStation 5 where save files may get corrupted after playing Phantom Liberty for some time using the base game save," the developer writes on its official support page.
"We recommend not to overwrite the existing base game saves when playing Phantom Liberty," it adds. "Thank you for your patience while we're working on a fix."
Thankfully, said fix is "coming soon". CDPR has announced patch 2.01, which includes a fix for the aforementioned save corruption bug. The update also packs a few welcome improvements, like louder radio audio, the ability to cycle to your arm weaponry, and improved technical performance (particularly in the DLC's Dogtown district).
Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.01 Patch Notes
- The distorted effect caused by selecting a specific dialogue option when talking to Johnny at the end of Automatic Love will no longer persist on the screen.
- V will no longer die in The Heist by falling through the elevator when riding to the 42nd floor with low FPS.
- Fixed an issue where the UI could show controller inputs when playing with keyboard and mouse.
- Made it possible to properly switch to arms cyberware by cycling through weapons.
- Gig: Breaking News will be properly triggered after approaching the quest area.
- Vehicle radio volume will be adjusted so it's not too quiet when compared to other sounds in the game.
- Addressed the issue of corrupted saves on PlayStation by increasing the maximum save file size limit. Note: this won't fix the saves corrupted before the update. If you're experiencing the issue, keep a working save (e.g. resave it as manual save) till 2.01 arrives.
- Performance improvements for both PC and consoles, especially in the Dogtown area.
Dare we ask if you've ran into this awful save corruption issue? Wait patiently for update 2.01 in the comments section below.