Capcom has updated its lengthy list of Platinum Titles to reveal the Resident Evil 2 remake from 2019 is now the best-selling entry in the series. As of 30th June 2023, it's sold 12.6 million copies, which surpasses the game that previously held the accolade in question: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard at 12.4 million units. The remake originally released for PS4 in 2019 and was then handed a PS5 version last year with a free PS4 to PS5 upgrade.
Monster Hunter World remains the best-selling Capcom game of all time at 19 million units sold, then followed by Monster Hunter Rise with 13.2 million, but the top 10 list is then dominated by Resident Evil. The only other IP to sneak into the top 10 is Street Fighter V with 7.3 million copies to its name. The recently released Resident Evil 4 is making its way up the list, currently sitting on 4.9 million units sold. The list of best-selling Resident Evil games looks like this:
- Resident Evil 2 Remake — 12.6 million
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard — 12.4 million
- Resident Evil 5 — 8.8 million
- Resident Evil 6 — 8.8 million
- Resident Evil Village — 8.3 million
- Resident Evil 3 Remake — 7.6 million
- Resident Evil 2 (PS1) — 4.96 million
- Resident Evil 4 Remake — 4.9 million
- Resident Evil Remake — 3.9 million
- Resident Evil 0 Remaster — 3.8 million
As a whole, the Resident Evil franchise has now sold over 146 million copies worldwide, but the next instalment out of Capcom remains a mystery for now. Resident Evil 4 will receive a PSVR2 mode in the future — and a Separate Ways expansion focusing on Ada Wong is likely too — but a new game or remake isn't official yet. What do you want out of the horror series next? Share your wishlist in the comments below.