Guerrilla Games has deployed the latest Horizon Forbidden West update to PS5 and PS4 today, bringing the game up to version 1.18. The patch introduces a new face paint for Aloy to wear, which is a Pride Flag called Mark of Pride. You can take a look at it in the lead image above. For example, the paint across her forehead represents the Transgender Flag.
In order to get the Mark of Pride face paint, head to a Painter in Scalding Spear, Thornmarsh, or The Bulwark. It's also usable in Photo Mode. Patch 1.18 also addresses a long list of main quest, side activity, and UI issues. The complete patch notes can be viewed below.
Horizon Forbidden West Update 1.18 Patch Notes
- Introduced “Mark of Pride” Pride Flag Face Paint.
FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
- Fixed an issue in Main Quest “Faro’s Tomb“ where the Hunter Merchant could be missing in Thebes.
- Fixed floating weapons in the cinematic following the “Talk to the Tenakth Marshal” mission objective of Main Quest “The Embassy”.
- Fixed an issue in Main Quest “The Kulrut” where Hekarro was practicing his pantomime skills and got blocked behind an invisible wall.
- Fixed issues related to players not being able to enter or exit The Base.
- Fixed an issue where a Kotallo callout could play inside The Base without Kotallo being present.
- We now keep Riverhymn’s settlement icon on the map after completing Side Quest “The Roots that Bind“.
- Fixed an issue where Porguf would not provide the option to start the Errand Quest “Broken Locks”.
- Fixed an issue in Side Quest “The Deluge” where players could ride their ground mount through a lake.
- Fixed an issue in Side Quest “Signal Spike” where the player could be unable to progress after the “Search the Canyon for the Source of the Signal” objective.
- Fixed an issue in Chainscrape where, before completing Side Quest “The Bristlebacks”, the Herbalist would have an icon above their head but will not be interactable.
- Fixed an issue in Salvage Contracts “Mine Launchers” where progression could become blocked when the player sets Custom Difficulty Settings for Easy Loot.
- Fixed an issue in which after completing all Salvage Contracts in New Game Plus, the player could obtain the Oseram Artificer outfit twice.
- Fixed an issue in Rebel Camp “Devil’s Grasp” where the objective “Search the Command Center” could become blocked after restarting from save.
- Fixed an issue in Rebel Camp “The Hive” where the objective “Destroy the Weapon Caches” would not update after destroying all the caches.
- Fixed an issue in Rebel Camp “Breached Rock” where the Rebel Champion would not have the Bunker Key in its loot if the player left the camp after killing the rebels.
- Fixed an issue in Cauldron CHI where a puzzle room had distracting shadow flickering.
- Fixed an issue in Machine Strike where the health of a piece with the Sweep Skill could go to 255 instead of dying.
- Fixed an issue where players remained stuck at 99.42% completion after completing all Rebel Camps.
- We are blasting off
againno more! Fixed an issue in Gauntlet Run “Cliffs of the Cry” where upon completing the race, the player would launch into the sky.
- Fixed an issue where the player was unable to complete “Relics From Ruins” in New Game+ due to already having the Ancestor's Return weapon from a previous playthrough.
- Fixed an issue in Sunken Cavern “The Shining Wastes” where the player would get stuck if they investigate an Oseram corpse while swimming.
- Fixed an inaccessible Supply Cache located in Las Vegas that was placed under the ground.
- Fixed an inaccessible Supply Cache located northeast of Rebel Outpost “Stillsands South” that was placed under the ground.
- Fixed an issue where Audio Datapoints were getting aborted on specific player actions.
- Fixed an issue where Audio Datapoint 37 could not be collected due to Veter being noninteractive.
- Arrows ready? We made the Dreadwing more likely to attack when fighting in a forested area.
- Additional VFX for Tremortusk’s “Shatter Swing” and Thunderjaw’s “Laser Blast” attacks.
- Fixed an issue near Fall’s Edge where a non-functional and low-resolution Thunderjaw could spawn in.
- Fixed an issue where the “Stalker Primary Nerve” was listed as a Loot for the Ravager’s Antenna.
- Fixed an issue where setting a Job for the Stalker Primary Nerve put the waypoint in Ravager areas instead of Stalker Areas.
- Fixed an issue where Behemoth and Apex Behemoth list "Bellowback Primary Nerve" as loot instead of "Behemoth Primary Nerve."
- Fixed an area in Sheerside Climb where the player is unable to fly away on a flying mount.
- Fixed an issue where Apex Shellsnapper Hearts were listed under “Valuables to Sell” despite being used for upgrades.
- Fixed an issue where the job system will not direct the player to Apex machine parts.
- Fixed a camera issue where, when aiming with a Blastsling weapon and rotating the camera, the projectile parable would jitter.
- Fixed a camera issue where activating Concentration zoom during a normal zoom would have a jarring snap back.
- Fixed an issue where the Hunter Bow could not be upgraded in New Game+.
- Fixed an issue for Light Arrows of Level 4 Carja's Bane which had an incorrect amount of Tear damage.
- Fixed an issue where upgrade Level 3 of the Rain of Sparks warrior bow switches perks from “critical hit chance” to “multiple enemy damage”, and then back to “critical hit chance” at Level 4.
- Fixed an issue where the player could not use Melee Combat after fast traveling from a crawl space.
- Level 3 of the Toughened Valor Surge has Melee Damage Resistance reduced from 50% to 35%.
- Plant Forager now works on Medicinal Waterweed.
- Fixed "Pickup Animation" to reset to "On" in Settings when the "Reset" action is pressed.
- Fixed an issue where the Job description in the Jobs menu in Quest Log always displays Level 1 regardless of the actual level of the Job.
- Fixed an issue where the Custom Marker was not visible in the 3D space if the waypoint was marked on the location of an inactive quest.
- Fixed an issue with the subtitles being out-of-sync in the opening title sequence.
- Fixed an issue in the Machine Catalogue where unscanned machines can be viewed when they are adjacent to scanned machines.
Performance and Stability
- Made improvements to TAA for PS5 Resolution Mode and PS4.
- Fixed several instances of Aloy’s armor model jittering when playing in Balanced Mode.
- Fixed an issue where geometry appears low resolution when skipping the opening title sequence.
- Introduced “Mark of Pride” Pride Flag Face Paint.
- Fixed an issue where starting the game via Activity Cards could start a new game in New Game Plus, instead of starting the selected activity.
- Fixed an issue where the “Auto Heal” setting does not fully heal Aloy after leaving combat for a short time.
- Fixed issues where the player ended up underneath the terrain or got stuck inside geometry.
Will you be using the new Mark of Pride face paint in-game? And does this patch fix a problem you've been having? Let us know in the comments below.
i sold this trash heap months ago
Man, this just shows how complicated and large games have become. All this time later and only now are these issues showing up.
And, to answer the question, no, I won’t be using the pride face paint. Have nothing against it, it’s just not aimed at me and, in all honesty, even if I was gay, I don’t think I’d want to bring even the hint of real world politics into a fantasy setting to take me out of the experience.
@thefourfoldroot1 Seems meant to be a symbol of personal expression here much more so than a political statement…
Great game but I already beat it a month ago. Cool that they're still adding stuff to it.
Why cant we just leave all this out and let games be games? I've nothing against transgenders or anybody/anything else but come on now lets get a grip here...
Really enjoyed this. Hoping we get some dlc news soon. Funny seeing ppl triggered over a face paint option😂
I never used face paint the entire time I played the game. I don't know I guess it just clashed with Aloy as a character for me since she is this character that knows basically all the religions in her world are a complete farce and realizes she is pretty vital to saving the world. I don't think she would take time to stick some paint on her face.🤣
But for the people upset about the pride thing you could just...you know...not equip it...like me!
@thefourfoldroot1 Dude I was thinking the exact same thing. It's the year 3000.
I love my country but if I saw an update allowing me to paint my face with the American flag I'd be like wtf.
@Korgon i'm not upset i just dont understand the need to represent every diverse denomination of human existence in a video game..now lets put the shoe on the other foot for one minute while i ask for a "i'm a white heterosexual male" flag or something like that i can sport in the game..i think i'd be hounded untill the ends of time..
@LimitedPower Indeed it is, but it's a symbol from the 21st century. I don't think it's political at all btw, my personal opinion.
If you absolutely have to have a symbol for sexuality in the game, it would have been cooler if it was invented in-game as part of a side quest or something like that to give it some meaning that makes sense in the world instead of carrying over symbols from a time that has no meaning to the game characters.
I know you weren't upset I guess I could have been a bit more specific so my bad on that. For the record I agree it does seem pretty silly that games do this sort of thing all the time but at the same time it is the devs game at the end of the day so it's their decision. I guess I've just become kind of numb to it all at this point.😅
I got this at launch and my game was plague with bugs.
Had a really bad FPS bug that made the game run at below 15 and it was horrendous. Really ruined the experience and I just can’t get back into it :/
@Northern_munkey Yeah you probably would, because white heterosexual males aren’t an oppressed minority. Please don’t use the Push Square comment section of all places to stir something up like that
@Jacko11 You should try to get back into it. It runs very well now. The new option btw that's in between resolution and performance mode is a sweet spot and it looks and plays great.
I will admit though that I wasn't as awed as I was with the first one, though I still had a great time playing it and completed literally everything in the game.
@GreatAuk Interesting point. An argument can certainly be made for it to feel like pandering more than anything when the context feels so removed from the established world and its rules. It’s a fine line to cross; I’m not very familiar with the Horizon games at all but I haven’t heard much in the realm of meaningful representation pertaining to sexuality in these games. Throwing in something like that just to pat themselves on the back is an unsettling idea, but I’m hoping that’s not the only reason they chose to include it.
Still haven't picked it up, waiting on what I'm assuming will be dlc at some point.
@LimitedPower lol really? Try and understand the comment and the context it was in please..
@GreatAuk this i agree with..adding it afterwards to try and appeal to a certain movement is quite sad..
@Northern_munkey It’s entirely possible that adding the pride face paint was a small but important gesture for some of the folks who work at Guerrilla. Not sure why its assumed that every instance of outreach is cynical and doesn’t represent people who work for the companies behind it. Then again, maybe Guerrilla only employs white heterosexual males.
Is this properly ready to play now, from people's experiences with it? Or should I wait on maybe a few more patches to start this adventure?
@Northern_munkey id wear a white heterosexual male flag in all games if I could, because I'm proud to be one,maybe there's a pin badge I could buy off ebay,with my hard earned heterosexual white male privilege cash 😁
@tallythwack isn't that missing the whole point in pride and movements perhaps? It's stating you are proud after years and years of being told you should not be.
Whereas the "white heterosexual male" has always been toted as "normal" which is just stupid. There is no idealistic normal, people are people.
"I have nothing against this" but proceeds to list reasons to be against it.
Some sense would be appreciated for once in the comments.
@Amnesiac thats a fair enough comment and one i'll take on board but its a very cynical world we live in now more than ever and its very easy to assume that a move like this could very well be a cynical after thought..
@tallythwack i can see you are trying to be funny and points for trying but you kind of missed the point i was making..👍
Sure, but identity politics, and this flag, does hold political baggage, and I was just saying I’d rather avoid that. Like the guy above said, if they offered me the chance to have my country’s flag as face paint I’d avoid it for the same reason. But I’m not saying it’s wrong for them to offer it or for people to wear it. Not at all. Just answering the question posed about whether I would. For me the game has incredible lore and this type of thing would just remove me from that.
I got the ps4 copy, recently. I put I into my ps5, picked the ps5 version and started downloading. But now everytime I put in the disc, etc, it always has the ps4 version "paused"/queued up. Is there a way to get rid of this? Besides getting the ps5 disc version to begin with.
@Ravix Its not shocking that straight white males have been the leaders in countries in which have been almost exclusively white until very recently.
Just like it's not shocking that straight ethnic Chinese males are the leaders in China and straight black males are the leaders in Nigeria.
Most of the globe outside the Western World is still very patriarchal and very anti-LGBT so it's not surprising. So the leaders or "normal" was going to be whatever heterosexual males are found in those countries.
Most countries outside the Western World are still very homogenized.
I long for the day where you can be a male and introduce your boyfriend to someone and no one gives a damn either way. That's when you know it's been totally normalized.
@GreatAuk yeah, that's why I say there is and should be no "normal". I'd love for other people to get that one day too. But deeply ingrained in our tribal roots is "stick with your own to survive, everyone else is a threat" and that can apply to so many different things, but also we're evolved enough now to realise we don't need this instinct to survive any more, and all hatred based on these perceived differences are based on something that is no longer required.
And it's almost exactly like the plot of Horizon: Zero Dawn... 😱 Tribes with significant differences in both beliefs and lifestyles, all coming together for the good of both themselves and the planet that they share 😱😱😱
Making adding things like this completely not worthy of the "should they, shouldn't they?" discussion 😅
@Northern_munkey easy to assume its a cynical move, but if you've played the side missions in this game you will see they are not afraid to tackle more difficult subjects head on, including gender issues. I thought the way they handled subjects like autism and dementia were really nicely balanced and I appreciated their inclusion.
I'd rather pride face paint than the carja make up options which seemed a sop to those complaining of Alloys looks!
I don't see the need to have it, but im in a privilliged group so I guess I wouldn't and im certainly not annoyed or upset that those that will enjoy this, can use it. More power to them!
@Northern_munkey not really
@Ravix I get the point but don't really care enough to comment seriously
@Titntin if the dev is going to show support for the pride movement then they should show support for everybody else too..i suppose logistically having some form of cosmetics in game for everybody is a nightmare but only having 1 group of people represented is a bit poor..i've been criticised before because i took umbarage towards comments that showed disdain towards so called "christian" shovel ware games and the call for them to be taken off but its perfectly ok for us to have certain movements in society rammed down our throats at every given chance..i'm not transphobic,homophobic,racist etc but this constant barrage of woke,diversity etc in just about all media is getting a bit much..why the constant need to be represented and why cant people say it ticks them off? So just so everybody is clear on this i dont have anything against the pride movement i just dont see why it has to be included in everything..
really ? a face paint ??
when alloy needs a complete makeover ? what about a OG HZD skin ? or that one mod nessisonett posted where she looks like a disney princess.
Is the game worth buying? I would be getting it on PS4 pro
@Northern_munkey it’s a shame you gotta disclaim and state those things that you’re not for protection, because of others lack of empathy and self-centered emotional rampage .
i agree with you btw
LMAO, the internet being set on fire because of a face paint is a new low. You don't want the pride flag? don't use it. It's that simple. There nothing to be upset about, and now if you are upset it clearly shows you have a problem with the people that flag represents or why else would it bother you so much? It's just that easy.
I'm glad Guerrilla Games continue to stand their ground regarding these things and representing people accurately as they wish in their game. Kudos to them for having empathy. Not even remotely in the LGBTQ+ myself, but I know I'll be rocking that flag the next time I launch HFW.
Its about representation mate. Those of us that are white straight males might not get it cause we are 100 % represented in just about everything.
Young people outside of this group often want to play characters that mean more to them and I get that. I also dont like such options 'pushed upon' me, and there are groups and companies that take it too far id agree.
But this is simply one option of very many and I doubt you or I would even be aware if we were not reading all the patch notes.
I dont think this game pushes too far in that direction myself, so being critical of this one small addition seems pretty unbalanced when there are so many more titles which do push this stuff too sanctimoniously for my tastes.
In short: I agree with you but dont think this title is guilty 😀
@Darylb88 Yes mate. If you enjoyed the first, im sure you will enjoy it. For me it was game of the year contender thats only been narowly beaten by Elden Ring. Its the best looking open world game to date, and it tells a solid story. Its well worth jumping in and seeing for youself! Hope you do and you love it too!
@nomither6 thanks for getting it..we dont usually see eye to eye on things we discuss so this means a lot..tis a shame that others only think i have a problem with the people and cant see its the media manipulation of said people to make themselves look more in vogue with the snowflake generation..👍
@Titntin as always you have the intelligent response which can be sorley lacking on these comments sections and its not just this game thats guilty its pretty much all media thats jumped on a bandwagon in the past few years or so..
@Titntin I'm a white male and I actually prefer to play as women characters. Maybe it's because I like to look at them lol. I don't need to be represented to enjoy something.
I don't know why everyone needs to see a carbon copy of themselves in the games they play. I thought people enjoyed to pretend to be something they're not.
And even if a character happens to align with your race and sex, it doesn't mean much at all. For example, I don't consider myself to have almost anything in common with Nathan Drake except for the love of exploration. But it was his love of exploration and not his appearance or his sexual preference that made me want to play those games!
Basically, it boiled down to am I going to have a good time playing this game? Never have I thought to myself for example, well Aloy is a woman, there's no way I can enjoy this.
I think it's a generational thing with the ascension of avatars and the need for ultra customization.
@XOF brilliantly written!
@Cyrus29 Everyone seems pretty calm and discussing in good faith, I'm not sure where the "internet is being set on fire."
Sounds like hyperbole to me.
And no, a couple of random tweets is not evidence of the internet being set on fire, no more than Kim Kardashian's butt "broke the internet."
I know this kind of thing comes from the whole online games mtx costumes/skins thing that the kiddies love, but it just seems so strange. If you spend your days and nights in the digital post-apocalypse trying to kill stainless steel t-rexes running on a psycho AI with a handmade bow and arrow and fending off war clans who can wield stainless steel t-rexes, who's worried about if their face paint reflects their sexuality to passers by? Pretty sure if you pass by the stainless steel t-rex your going to get effed up no matter its gender. It's such an immersion breaker at odds with the actual setting of the game. Obviously it's just an "option" but I don't get the appeal of such options in general. It's bad enough in online games (cat armor for Halo, etc) but just....why in a single player game? There's something to be said for games sticking to it's own universe and not trying to just be a sticker book for giggles .
But then again....the game does take place in San Fran.................. It's kind of surprising the stainless dinos don't have horn-rim glasses and unique tail armor from Etsy.
'Will you be using the new Mark of Pride face paint in-game?' .. no as a straight white male I have nothing to be proud of & must feel ashamed of the way I was born
@NEStalgia i mean spider-man and batman have customization and theyre both amazing , i love customizing , it’s just a preference
@nomither6 but can your Batman dress as a hippy with tie dye and a yellow Daft Punk helmet? Customizing with in-universe themes content I can understand. It's breaking the continuity of the universe that seems so wrong. I know some people love breaking the continuity like that, but at some point it just seems self defeating to break a carefully made aesthetic like that.
@NEStalgia i hear you . it’s the same issue COD had with adding rainbow gun camos in a WW2 setting , it gets to a point where it breaks immersion and seems ridiculous.
leave that kinda stuff to modding
@PhhhCough the game also auto downloads both patches for both ps4 and ps5 with no choice which one to download 1st
Removed - offensive remarks
Looks like they're still crushing alot of bugs, so I'll hold off on playing this until next year...going to be unavailable in September and busy playing multiple games from October to February.
At first they did "Pride Month" during June and I was like "ok" because, I mean, what's the issue? People want to celebrate something. Go for it.
Then Pride seems to be every month and there's parades and events all over, all the time.
Now, I'm starting to get adverse to it. Don't get me wrong, people who are out and proud (or, you know, just proud) have pride in that all year round and why should they be forced to constrain themselves to a single month?
It's the same deal with black history month. You can't consign black people's history to a single month.
But, why does Horizon need a pride face paint at all? It's set a thousand years into the future. "Pride" is irrelevant in this setting. We don't really need every game having relevant pop culture in it.
I'd rather they create a "face paint creator" feature within the game, maybe using the touchpad on the controller (or mouse for PC) and leave the rest up to the players. That gives people the freedom to do what they want and still be accurate for the fantasy setting.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not homophobic or transphobic. I'm just saturated in gay pride these days and I don't know why everything ends up with a rainbow logo slapped on it at some point. Creepy corporate stuff.
@Ravix that's not entirely true.
Idealistic "normal" is a man and woman performing intercourse to ensure the human population and genome continues.
Without that, there's no human race. Two men or two women cannot conceive a child on their own and cannot continue the human race.
But, I personally, entirely agree with "people are people" and that people love who they love (and that hasn't got anything to do with anyone else).
@Would_you_kindly again, missing the point in pride. No one has oppressed the straight white male in the west, and told them it is wrong to be just that, so there is no need for any movement.
People focus on and single out the definition of singular words to argue against positive movements all the time, but it has to be called something. And an individual saying they are proud to be gay in a world where they have been told they should not be is a way of expressing an end of that overwhelming feeling of hatred and oppression and a freedom to be who you want to be in public and share that with like-minded people
If you do support the oppression of all peoples, so be it. But you probably don't, I'd hope you don't, anyway 🌈
And you do realise straight white males (or anyone at all) can support pride and wear pride gear and be proud too right? Be proud to not hate people for no reason, support this slight relief of an oppressive culture?
For whatever reason, despite liking the game early on, I put it down and never really felt the need to go back. Didn't get hooked like I did with Zero Dawn. I think I'm just getting tired of the way most 'AAA' games are these days. Hoping God of War: Ragnarök snaps me out of that.
More political nonsense being put into games by soyny. So sick of this stuff. Be whatever you want, but keep that out of games and movies ffs.
I don't think anyone here played the two horizons, because they are the purest political juice. Wait! It's just that this kind of policy can't be discussed, right? I have a suggestion for those who are bothered... Have you ever heard of Mario? ;-D
@RedRiot193 HAHAHAHAHHHH... How old are you, 14?
@neitan Ah, the good old "I have nothing to respond with so I'll vent on the internet by making fun of a random age number HAHAHA"
@GreatAuk Im not sure you understood the point I tried to make, I probably explained myself badly.
Of course you are not looking for representation, you are represented by default in anything you consume, so youve nver felt that feeling of never getting an option you might want.
A young black child growing up in the past would look at a sucession of white male role models and surely feel that only white boys could be heroes.
I love F1, but if you are a talented female driver (and there are many), youd be forgiven for thinking F1 can only be won by men.
If I were young and identified with the pride movement, it would make a big difference to occasionally be able to identify with that in a game, just now and again.
For those reasons I dont see this particular addition as the 'thin end of the wedge'.
I have concerns elsewhere, but not with this games addition.
Not sure ive explained myself any better tbh, but Ive tried 😂
@Darylb88 Wait until you have a PS5..
They'll throw in a remove or add penis option next.
Tap here to load 63 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...