The latest PlayStation 5 firmware update is now available to download and install on your console. System software version 21.01-03.00.00.38 is ready to roll, and it's the biggest update to PS5 yet.
Sony announced yesterday that this firmware update was coming, and it's packed with quality of life changes that will make some things a little easier. Here are the major changes and improvements introduced with this update:
- You'll be able to store PS5 games on external USB drives
- Share Play support between PS4 and PS5 consoles
- Request to join Game Sessions
- Improvements to Game Base
- Quick options for disabling Game Chat and adjusting voice volumes
- Pre-downloading game updates
- Customise and search your Game Library
- Improvements to Screen Zoom
- New Trophy settings and stats
After installing this update — which clocks in at 902.3MB, by the way — you can store PS5 games on USB drives, which is great for freeing up precious real estate on your console's SSD. You can't play PS5 games installed on external devices, though, so you'll have to move them back across when you're ready.
If you want a little more detail on some of these new and improved features, click through here. It's likely there will be other hidden changes and fixes, so we'll let you know if we find anything worth sharing.
So, time to get your PS5s up to date. Are you excited for these changes? Tell us in the comments section below.