Red Dead Redemption managed to shift 1.5 million copies in the US across both the PlayStation 3 and XBOX 360, with a decent proportion of sales (567k) coming off the PlayStation SKU. UFC Undisputed 2010 was the other PlayStation 3 game listed in the top ten, managing to shift 192k copies on PS3.
PlayStation 3 hardware was unfortunately down 15%, although the NPD's Anita Frazier noted that "the PS3 platform has enjoyed the greatest percentage growth, with platform sales across hardware, software, and accessories up 32 percent for the month, and 28 percent year-to-date." Not all bad then.
Well, yes really. The PSP is really beginning to struggle now. In May it managed to shift just 59k units, down 10%. To be honest, despite some good software offerings this year, we can only see that falling further. We still believe a price-drop and good packaged software (Eye Pet, Invizimals) could do wonders for that platform but it looks like Sony are sticking to their guns.
With the Wii and DS still dominating the charts though, its easy to look beyond Sony and Microsoft's micro-battle. In the macro, both companies are getting obliterated month after month, and it's hard to see what either company can do to topple the mighty Nintendo. And no, Move and Kinect are not the answer.
Full figures after the jump.
- DS: 384K down 57K (-13%)
- Wii: 335K up 58K (+21%)
- 360: 195K up 10K (+5%)
- PS3: 155K down 27K (-15%)
- PSP: 59K down 7K (-10%)
- Red Dead Redemption Xbox 360 Take-Two 945.9K
- Red Dead Redemption PS3 Take-Two 567.1K
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii Nintendo 563.9K
- UFC 2010: Undisputed Xbox 360 THQ 221.1K
- UFC 2010: Undisputed PS3 THQ 192.3K
- Wii Fit Plus w/ Balance Board Wii Nintendo
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii Wii Nintendo
- Alan Wake Xbox 360 Microsoft
- Pokemon SoulSilver DS Nintendo
- Skate 3 Xbox 360 Electronic Arts