Is the PS5 backwards compatible with the PS4? Can you play PS4 games on the PlayStation 5? One of the biggest questions regarding the PS5 is whether you can play PS4 games on it. As part of our PS5 guide, we’re going to explain how PS4 games work on the PS5 and whether they'll be improved.
PS5 Backwards Compatibility: Can You Play PS4 Games on PlayStation 5?
Yes, PS4 games are playable on the PS5, meaning that the PlayStation 5 is backwards compatible with the PS4. This means that you’ll be able to download games that you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store on PS4 and play them on the PS5. You’ll also be able to insert physical PS4 discs into the PS5 and play them on the next-gen console. You won't be able to use physical media on the PS5 Digital Edition because it doesn't have a disc drive, and you can learn more about that through here: PS5 Digital Edition vs PS5: What's the Difference?
PS5 Backwards Compatibility: Which PS4 Games Will Work on PS5?
The "overwhelming majority" of PS4 games work on PS5. While the vast majority of PS4 games will work flawlessly on PS5, there are a couple of exceptions. Below is a list of all PS4 games that don't work on PS5 as well as all PS4 games that may exhibit errors on PS5. You can rest assured that unless the game is listed below, then it'll work without any problems.
All PS4 Games That Don't Work on PS5
At the time of writing, there are just 6 PS4 games will not be backwards compatible on PS5. On the PlayStation Store, these titles will be accompanied with a description reading "Playable on: PS4 only". The full list is as follows:
- Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma Volume One
- Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
- Just Deal With It!
- Robinson: The Journey
- We Sing
All PS4 Games That May Exhibit Errors on PS5
While the vast majority of PS4 games will work on PS5 without any errors, Sony has marked some games on the PlayStation Store with the following warning: "When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour and some features available on PS4 may be absent." It's important to note that any PS4 games carrying this message will load and be playable on the PS5, but they may exhibit errors like minor graphical glitches or bugs. The full list of all PS4 games that may exhibit errors on PS5 is as follows:
- A Summer with the Shiba Inu
- Active Soccer 2 DX
- American Ninja Warrior: Challenge
- Anomaly 2
- APB Reloaded
- Ape Escape 2
- Arcade Land
- Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India
- Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: Russia
- Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: Trilogy Pack
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate
- Assetto Corsa
- Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition
- Atrapa La Bandera
- Batman: Return to Arkham - Arkham City
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
- Chicken Police
- Clan N
- Close to the Sun
- Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade
- Dead Island Retro Revenge
- Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
- Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune
- Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune Free-to-Play Version
- Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Scarlet
- Deliver Us The Moon
- Dino Frontier
- Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King
- Doki-Doki Universe
- DOOM VFR
- Dungeon Rushers
- DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 Empires
- DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 Empires Free Alliances Version
- DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
- EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone
- Everybody's Golf
- Feral Fury
- Filthy Lucre
- Frisky Business
- Game of Thrones
- Gensokyo Defenders
- Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
- Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered
- Hardware: Rivals
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition
- Kickbeat Special Edition
- Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
- Left Alive
- Let's Sing 10
- Let's Sing 2018
- LittleBigPlanet 3
- Mafia III The Complete Edition
- Mafia III: Definitive Edition
- Metal Slug Anthology
- MLB 14 The Show
- MLB 15 The Show
- MLB The Show 16
- MLB The Show 17
- MLB The Show 18
- MLB The Show 19
- NBA 2K19
- NBA 2K20
- Need for Speed
- NHL 19
- Nobunaga's Ambition Souzou
- Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
- OKAGE: Shadow King
- Operation Warcade
- Paddle Vs. Paddle
- Pinball Arcade
- PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 LITE
- Project CARS
- Project CARS GOTY Edition
- Pure Hold'em
- Pure Hold'em - World Poker Championship
- Pure Pool
- Realm Royale
- RIGS Mechanized Combat League
- Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul
- Sea of Solitude
- Season Match 2 HD
- Season Match 3 Curse of the Witch Crow
- Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal
- Senran Kagura Estival Versus
- Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash
- Shuttle Commander
- Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
- Space Junkies
- Star Ocean Second Evolution
- Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time
- STAR STRIKE ULTRA
- STAR STRIKE ULTRA VR
- Star Trek: Bridge Crew
- Super Kids Racing
- Super Stardust Ultra
- Super Stardust Ultra VR
- Survive Said The Prophet VR Experience
- Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan
- Tennis World Tour
- The Golf Club 2019
- The King of Fighters 2000
- The Surge
- The Tomorrow Children
- The Walking Dead: Season 1
- The Warriors
- Tooth and Tail
- True Fear: Forsaken Souls Part 2
- Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
- Valhalla Hills
- Velocity 2X
- Werewolves Within
- WRC 8 FIA World Rally Championship
- Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
PS5 Backwards Compatibility: Will Physical PS4 Game Discs Play on the PS5?
Yes, physical PS4 game discs will play on PS5. You'll be able to insert physical PS4 game discs into the PS5 and play them, as well as download digital software you've purchased from the PlayStation Store. Note that you won't be able to use physical game discs on the PS5 Digital Edition (See Also: PS5 Digital Edition vs PS5: What's the Difference?), as it doesn't have a disc drive.
PS5 Backwards Compatibility: Will PS4 Games Purchased from the PS Store Work on PS5?
The PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4 software, so this means both physical and digital software will work on the current-gen system. Assuming you’re using the same PSN account on PS5, you will have access to all of your PS4 purchases from the PlayStation Store. This includes PlayStation Plus titles – but you will have to ensure your subscription is active in order to play these.
PS5 Backwards Compatibility: Will PS4 Games Play Better on the PS5?
PS4 games will play better on PS5 through the use of a "boost" mode, however this may cause compatibility issues and may not apply to every single game. You also might need to ensure that your PS4 games are installed to the PS5's SSD (See Also: PS5 SSD: Why It's Better Than HDD), although you will have the option to save space by using a more traditional external HDD (See Also: How to Use an External Hard Drive on PS5). Any games stored on the latter, of course, will not benefit from the speeds of Sony's super-fast SSD. For more information, check the following: Best PS5 and PS4 External Hard Drives and Which SSD Drives Will Be Compatible With PS5?
Here's what Sony has to say about PS4 games running better on PS5: "We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers." You can find out more about any potential improvements through the following link: PS5 Game Boost: All Major PS4 Game Improvements.
PS5 Backwards Compatibility: Will PSVR Games Work on PS5?
PlayStation VR and its games are fully backwards compatible with the PS5, meaning that you’ll be able to plug your current headset into the next-gen console and experience virtual reality. As the PlayStation 5 is also backwards compatible with PS4 software, this means that you’ll be able to play PSVR games on the PS5 – regardless of whether you own them digitally or physically. You will need a free PS Camera adaptor in order to connect your existing PS4 camera to the PS5, as the new HD Camera is not compatible. You can find out How to Get a Free PS5 PlayStation Camera Adaptor for PSVR through the link. For more information, refer to the following: Does PSVR Work on PS5? and All PS5 Games with PSVR Support.
PS5 Backwards Compatibility: Will the PS5 Play PS3, PS2, or PS1 Games?
The PS5 is not compatible with old copies of games on PS3, PS2, and PS1. However, Sony is gradually adding modern ports of certain retro games, accessible via a PS Plus Premium subscription. You can find more information through here: PS5 Backwards Compatibility: Can You Play PS3, PS2, and PS1 Games on PlayStation 5? and All PS Plus Games.
Will you be taking advantage of PS5's backwards compatibility with PS4 games? Take a step back in the comments below, and check out our PS5 guide.