Forums

Topic: Recent Retro & Other Gaming Purchases? (Non PS4)

Posts 941 to 960 of 994

KratosMD

@FullbringIchigo Are you going to be getting the "side" games as well, like Four Swords Adventures, TriForce Heroes, Hyrule Warriors etc?

KratosMD

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD i have Hyrule Warriors already, it was a digital purchase but yes i will be getting as many as i can

"Don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history make it's own judgments"

Rudy_Manchego

Has anyone tried Apple arcade? I have an iPhone for work and decided to take out the free month trial and there are some fantastic indie titles included. Played What the Golf and now into Mutazione and both have been fantastic.

I have never been interested in mobile gaming because, at the end of the day, I just can't be bothered to find out which games are worthwhile and which are just cash grabs or mindless timewasters. However, this curated list of games with no MTX's etc. are really good.

Not sure I can afford yet another subscription service (think it is £4.99 a month) but I would say that this is a pretty good offering from what I have seen.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Thrillho

@Rudy_Manchego I have the same problem of picking the quality from the quantity of iOS games. Kairosoft games (makers of Game Development Story) are mostly good fun and have a good mix of easy to play but with some depth to them and I like the pixel graphics too.

New Star Manager is a great game too if you like football and Pocket City a neat no micro transaction or online component city builder.

I used to play a lot of Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes but I refuse to now play any games that rely on you logging in or constantly playing to get upgrades.

Thrillho

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego I've been generally a bit suspicious about it given it's Apple and considering some of the more gushing press coverage really does look entirely 'sponsored' with sentiments to the tune of 'mobile gaming didn't exist before'.

It is a good idea in a market where mtx models are king; It feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy to some extent. Because people en-masse didn't want to pay for decent game experience, mtx mechanics took hold, then mtx became almost the go-to business model and the quality of promoted games took a steady nosedive until now - where a subscription service swoops in to look like the best option.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Thrillho

@KALofKRYPTON My favoured model would be free but with ads with the option to pay to go ad free if I like the game.

Thrillho

Rudy_Manchego

@Thrillho Cheers, I'll give those a look in.

@KALofKRYPTON I can completely see where you are coming from with regards to now having to pay subscription to get a decent game. It is a little like the whole first party thing - Apple are now flinging money at good devs to get good fully fledged titles on Apple Arcade which can result in good games but then you have to tie yourself into an ecosystem to experience them.

The other thing is that I am not sure if the splurge of great titles are all launch purchases to build hype up. I mean, Mutazione was a game I wanted to play and is like £13 on PS Store and I bought Sayonara Wild Hearts for £10 on Switch eshop and both are available on Apple arcade. If this quality keeps up then it might make sense. Being able to connect a DS4 is also pretty appealing to.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego I'm awaiting the backlash when it turns out that dev's being paid for 'time played' was a bad idea/doesn't work/gets exploited

It's interesting though. There have been some pretty incredible mobile games and experiences over the years - I do think the scope of mobile gaming has dwindled a little in the face of mtx mechanics and Android being almost universally laggy with bt controllers (and my personal distaste for touch screen gaming) - it will be interesting to see what hardware comes of it.

I loved (LOVED!) my Xperia Play and would totally buy another one put together with a bit more thought (it was pretty under-powered when it came out).
There's a Vita-style Chinese phone out there (I forget what it's called) that looks like it performs really well that is very tempting!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KratosMD

Yay an online retailer finally got more copies of Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth in stock so I ordered it immediately! I haven't seen this game in stock since it came out four months ago, so it feels so surreal to have finally purchased it. I'm really glad that I did since a) I've been loving the first Persona Q, b) I love Persona, c) I love playing RPGs on a portable device and d) it's one of the last good games that I've been meaning to buy on the 3DS. I still have a few left that I need to get such as Dragon Quest VIII and Ever Oasis. But my collection is starting to feel more complete with each purchase, especially now that I have Persona Q2 and the Mario & Luigi games. Hopefully I'll be able to snag a cheap copy of Dragon Quest VIII soon too!

KratosMD

Rudy_Manchego

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah good point on the payment. I HOPE that I am supporting good devs by using the service but you never know.. look at Spotify.

RogerRoger

I went looking for a specific PS2 game on the PS3's Store the other day, hoping that it had gotten the PS2 Classic treatment; alas, it has not. Whilst there, however, I noticed that a couple games had been given discounts recently, so I grabbed Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas and its sequel. I'd considered them before, but they were over £20 each; now they're half that. Much less of a risk.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KratosMD

@RogerRoger I used to play Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 all the time with my brother for over five years, it's our favourite game to play together. We really loved the mode "Terrorist Hunt" where you have a set amount of enemies to take out and you need to work together in order to win. The game is very much a tactical FPS so it's definitely not like CoD or Battlefield with mindless shooting. Playing the game like that will only make you lose every time, which is why we loved Rainbow Six because you can take your time and be more strategic.

Although the games have aged quite a bit, I'd still give them a shot, especially if you're able play with other people. I honestly don't like playing the games that much in single player, so I highly recommend playing them with someone else. They both support split-screen multiplayer, so maybe you can play with your partner or something. If you're going in with an open mind then I can guarantee you'll have a great time!

KratosMD

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Thanks for the vote of confidence; I'm glad I got them now!

Unfortunately I'll only ever be able to play them by myself, but I'd seen a few brief clips of the campaign on YouTube and it looks functional enough. I tend to like Tom Clancy stuff for the atmosphere more than anything, so taking a bit more time and fiddling with squad commands shouldn't pose a problem.

Nice to hear such fond co-op memories, though. Rainbow Six is a franchise tailor-made for those kinds of experiences, I reckon. The modern ones seem to be doing really well.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Just bought Ys Origin on Steam for $5. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I couldn't really resist at that price.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

KratosMD

@Ralizah I loved that game, it's actually one of the few times in recent memory that I've gained a strong attachment to a video game and that I have very fond memories of. I remember sitting at home playing the game during Christmas last year and just having a wonderful time. The gameplay is so addicting, the music is top-notch and the story is fairly decent as well. It's very much worth it at that price.

Just ordered Astral Chain on Switch for €40. I was initially going to buy this game at launch over a month ago but I decided against it since I wasn't going to have any time for it. I'm glad that I did wait though since this second-hand copy arrived today at an online retailer and I had to order it immediately. It looks like a game that I would really enjoy!

It makes me sad though that most of my Switch purchases are second-hand since I'd love to buy new copies of these games and support the developers, but Switch games are always so freaking expensive. Not only that, but the online retailer I ordered from usually receives second-hand copies of newly released Switch games within months of their release, so it's fairly common to see games that usually go for €60 to get priced at €40 used right after release, which in my opinion is a better price point. I can accept €50 at most but €60 is pushing it, which is why I rarely buy Switch games at launch.

KratosMD

Ralizah

@KratosMD I liked Ys VIII a lot, so I've been wanting to try out one of the more isometric, old-fashioned ones. It'd have to be pretty bad to not be worth the price.

Ralizah

belmont

By the way YS Origin is cross-buy on the Vita-PS4. I play YS VIII now and Origin is the only one officially released that I have not played yet.

belmont

DerMeister

I ordered one of the few fighting games I haven't gotten into: BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger. Ordered it last week and it came in yesterday. It was specifically a limited edition that also has a soundtrack and an extra blu-ray disc. It was $12, so I figured I'd go for it, hey?

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Ralizah

For $12 on Humble Bundle, you can snag PC copies of the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot remastered trilogies. So I did just that.

There's also a recent-ish CoD game that I got along with them, so I figure I can try out the single-player campaign in that. I haven't touched a CoD game since Modern Warfare first released.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

belmont

@Ralizah Just a heads up... I am assuming you get Steam codes that you can gift?

belmont

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic