Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 941 to 960 of 1,585

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yikes, even more complex, then... I knew the series was popular back in the day, but monthly gaming magazines rarely touched upon behind-the-scenes stories like this.

Nowadays, a developer can't sneeze without some blogger offering a tissue. We know so much!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Ha ha that's very true @RogerRoger 😅

Silicon Knights were no saints themselves mind (Though granted this was over 15 years later).

They went defunct in 2014 or so thanks to them trying to sue Epic Games... Only to have been found out that they ripped the unreal engine 3 code and were trying to claim it was their own original code and ended up being counter sued which caused them to collapse.

Not really relevant to Soul Reaver but not everything is as it seems...

I think the rest of what Genrou said is correct more or less? I only really read about Blood Omen and Soul Reaver's development so the others I know nothing about.

I remember reading that Soul Reaver is apparently in some Square Enix Initiative for developers and older Ip's but no-one has come up with an idea for it sadly

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Not at all. I think it was a similar situation to Rise of the Tomb Raider, where Microsoft felt that they didn't have anything to directly compete with Sony (Lara versus Nate, Sam Fisher versus Solid Snake). They'd watched the previous entry from each franchise underperform, so backed a dump-truck of money up to their studio doors. The difference is that Conviction wasn't a timed exclusive, and people tore them to pieces for it, which I think is why PS4 eventually got Lara back.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Oh, now that's a story I've heard of, absolutely! People used to mention Silicon Knights in hushed whispers of reverence, at least as far as I recall. What a downfall.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD the scale of the game is slightly misleading apart from when you encounter the odd regular human.
The Space Marines are generally over 7 foot tall genetically engineered hulks; built to be interfaced with the armour. Of you think less 'guys in suits' to cybernetic killing machines, it makes more sense 😊

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

After swearing I'd never purchase from them again, I just snagged two more Limited Run Games, specifically region-free PC copies of Star Wars: Dark Forces and Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II. I think these are the last of their promised LucasArts haul, and are stone cold classics, with the latter giving The Phantom Menace some serious competition for my "best ever Star Wars game" crown.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I loved Jedi Knight until it randomly deleted my save file after the bloody invisible boss. It’s a great game though, I’ll go back to it at some point when I stop being traumatised 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Eek! Hate glitches like that. I've never had an issue with Jedi Knight, though. Which boss were you up to? Several of the Dark Jedi can use a mind trick to disappear.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger It was the brothers and it took me ages to kill them so I just wanted to cry in a corner. It’s not that far into the game but there were a few nasty levels beforehand.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Oh yes, Gorc and Pic. They're supremely annoying, not least because you constantly have to aim at your feet to land any kind of hit on Pic. The refuelling station and cargo ship levels aren't my favourites, either. That whole malarkey in the ventilation system can do one!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Hope I didn't steer you wrong on Syphon Filter 2 there! Enjoy!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Oh, sweet! Didn't know that about the analogue stick support, having played the original back in the day when D-Pad directions were the rule of thumb. I've been keen to replay the trilogy, so it'll be interesting to see whether I wanna switch to sticks in the second and third games.

Glad you enjoyed what you played, because the second is most certainly more of the same (like, a lot more of the same, spread across two discs).

Making It So Since 1987

R1spam

I just went and bought myself the 360 version of bully. Really enjoying gta4 at the minute and have max payne 3 to play in a rockstar retro binge! Dont know when I'll get to play them though, life is pretty mad!

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Yikes! Definitely protect your console, yeah. The resolution flickering is at its worst when playing a PS2 Classic on PS3, it changes it two or three times whilst booting up, and I'm always a little cautious as a result. Haven't ever had an issue with a PSone Classic (which I type with fingers tightly crossed, as I'm currently playing a PSone Classic on PS3) but the older my console gets, the more likely it'll become. Hope it doesn't happen to you again!

Making It So Since 1987

Anti-Matter

Non PS4 games, eh ?

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction PS3
Ratchet & Clank: QForce PS3
Untitled

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

@KratosMD Mirror’s Edge is fantastic, I really hope you enjoy your time with it. As you said, it’s a nice change of pace and it’s not too long either.

mookysam

@KratosMD Second the praise for Mirror's Edge. It's one of the best titles of the 360/PS3 era. Such a unique game with a great visual style and tight level design. I love that it's short enough to be completed in a single sitting.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

Oh man, Mount and Blade 2 is finally here. I've been waiting literally 8 years for this moment, it's downloading now!

rafitafi

@KratosMD Mirror's Edge - such a great choice. Not too heavy, but also stylistically pleasing.

rafitafi

carlos82

So I've started collecting for the Saturn and this week completed my Panzer Dragoon collection for it. That's just one copy of Saga (and its demo) with a spare repro slip case but yeah that is by far the most expensive game I own and really good fun from the first couple of hours
Untitled

Edited on by carlos82

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic