Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 841 to 860 of 1,585

crimsontadpoles

So, since I'm new to the Nintendo Switch and lacking in games for it, I'm taking advantage of the black friday discounts. In particular, there were two Switch games that I was rather interested in playing, but didn't want to pay full price for.

First up is Splatoon 2. I had a lot of fun with the original Splatoon on Wii U. However, the Splatfests already being over in Splatoon 2 made me more hesitant to pick it up. Once I get going with it I'll probably really enjoy it.

And secondly is Pokemon Shield. I'm conflicted with this game. I've agreed with a lot of the complaints about it, but at the same time I do rather enjoy playing Pokemon. This was discounted to £37 on Amazon UK (and Curry's PC World, but out of stock near me), which is decent for a two week old major Switch release. Pokemon Sword must be the more popular version, as it's still at around £45 in most places. Shield was the version I wanted (shield doggo is great), and I might have skipped the Pokemon Switch games entirely if Sword was discounted instead of Shield.

Anyway, once they arrive I'll then have four Switch games in total. Been having a lot of fun with Super Smash Bros Ultimate (trying to main Joker since Persona 5 is excellent), and Super Mario Maker has been alright so far.

crimsontadpoles

RogerRoger wrote:

plus Chronicles has no "back to Windows" exit option anywhere, meaning you have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete your way out of the game.

@RogerRoger To exit to windows in Tomb Raider Chronicles, you need to press "P", which takes you to the pause menu, which also contains statistics and options. Yes, that's a horrid design choice. I was using Alt-F4 to close the game for a long time before figuring out what the "P" key does.

The old Tomb Raider games do have plenty of faults, but I still love playing them.

Ralizah

@crimsontadpoles Realistically, the Splatfests were cool, but the game is jam-packed with content otherwise (assuming you engage with the online content, that is). I'd highly recommend grabbing the Octo Expansion DLC at some point. It provides a secondary single-player campaign that is, imo, a lot more challenging and fun than the base game's campaign.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@crimsontadpoles You're my hero. Thank you so much for telling me about this!

I've been wanting to play The Last Revelation (which uses the same interface) for a while now, and having the prettier PC version to hand made me consider it over the PSone Classic I have installed on my PS3, but the lack of an obvious pause / quit option made me nervous.

Will have to re-map my screenshot shortcut (which I made Ctrl+P) but that's no issue. Cheers!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Haruki_NLI

Well, with Numbers vember being a quiet month for pick ups, December is wild.

Pokemon Shield for streaming
Bubble Bobble 4 Friends Special Edition
Shovel Knight amiibo Three-Pack

Devil May Cry 5
Final Fantasy 15 Royal Edition
Wipeout: Omega Collection

Purple and Orange Joy-Con (SPYRO!)

Also got my sister Spyro and Minecraft for her Switch Lite, since she asked and it's Xmas.

And for retro stuff...well...

After finishing the Battle Network series I've moved on to Castlevania.

So this month I have Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow coming, to sit alongside Aria, Mega Man 4 (Game Boy), Bubsy 3D (Don't ask), and Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

RR529

I ordered Luigi's Mansion 3, and I should get it sometime this week.

Never played any in the series before, but I always hear good things.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Go ahead and play that Phantom Menace PSone game, and then we can talk about my taste!

In all seriousness, I hope you enjoy, and that the Switch version holds up!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i still have my copy of that game, i still play it from time to time as well

but Jedi Power Battles was a much better game

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I'd say they're both equally great, but for different reasons. It's a shame Jedi Power Battles doesn't work properly on my PS3. Almost makes me wanna go and buy a Dreamcast!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i have the Dreamcast version actually, great little system

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I was always jealous of Dreamcast owners, because they got the best versions of both Jedi Power Battles and Star Wars: Demolition. Ah well.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger oh i have Demolition on the Dreamcast too

the Dreamcast also had the best version of the original Resident Evil 2

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo ...and apparently Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, and Tomb Raider Chronicles as well, at least from a graphical standpoint. It was quite the powerhouse in its day.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger the Dreamcast was and still is an awesome little system but it just came out at the wrong time, it pioneered many things that consoles use today such as online gaming and DLC

it was a hell of a system for SEGA to go out on

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I always remember the little handheld console you could plug into the controller, which would play you little animations whilst saving your data. Wasn't it called the VMU or something? Such a brave idea. Even when the Wii U tried that, it didn't quite stick the landing.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah it was the VMU and it was awesome especially on Resi 2, it showed you your health and ammo without having to keep going into the menus all the time

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo And for Sonic Adventure, you could use it like a Chao Tamagotchi, feeding and playing with your Chao whilst away from your console, if memory serves.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yep, it was a great little system

Tasuki

@RogerRoger @FullbringIchigo The Dreamcast is still one of my favorite systems. To me the Dreamcast marks the beginning of modern gaming. Games looked like actual games that you played in the Arcade or in the back of your local pizzeria. It had online connection. It just felt so more advanced then any other system at it's time.

I still have two of them and break them out every so often for a game of NFL 2K, Fur Fighters and a few others.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki i still have it hooked up to my old tube TV and still play it regularly

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic