Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 7,201 to 7,220 of 7,477

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah I've run into a few of em outside and maybe two in caves. The rest were underground. I can't tell if they're random or not.

But I do want Guardians back.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

LtSarge

@Ralizah Yeah the cursor is definitely annoying. I try to use the d-pad as much as I can in order to avoid it, but obviously you still need to use it when exploring environments.

Do you mean when you'd die if you picked the wrong dialogue choice or just in general? I can see why based on the former reason, but I didn't really think much of it. I thought it was scary not knowing what the other person could do. However, you don't really get punished in this game or at least not in the first act. So I guess the game does lose a bit of its horror feel in that regard.

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge It feels like a game that was designed around PC and then dumped on Switch with a minimum of optimization. Considering it's a Switch/PC release, I suspect this is exactly what happened. Not the biggest issue in the world, but yeah.

No, I mean the edge of the supernatural horror is dulled when I'm getting into silly Shounen Jump battles with other curse-bearers.

Of course, the game's tone is sort of off-beat in general. I like what I've played, but I just need to adjust my expectations, I think. That initial arc reminds me more of Death Note than anything. You know, where it thinks it's edgier and a lot more clever than it actually is, but this just turns out to be part of its charm.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

The Tarrey Town quest was really great once I worked out I could bomb trees to get wood. I did some quest that I assume was part of the DLC as well where I had to run around the Great Plateau with a one hit kill stick. I guess I’m in the point of the game where I can go to Hyrule Castle whenever I want, but it’s not time for me to go beat the game yet, I still have more to do!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@Ralizah Ah I see what you mean, but I think it's like you say that the game's tone is off-beat in general.

I've played a fair amount after the first act when the story "actually" begins and I haven't seen a moment like that yet. In fact, it feels like they've cooled down with the showdowns. Maybe they just went all out in the first act in order to draw people into its story. Hopefully it gets better after this point.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@Ralizah I’ve wandered about a bit looking for them but I’ve mostly got the ones near landmarks that I recognise!

Ralizah

@LtSarge Sounds good. I stopped playing after that initial arc, which was sort of like a self-contained death game.

I'll be glad if the story expands more after that, and it's not an action movie with a horror-tinged gimmick.

@nessisonett Some of them can be tricky tbh. TotK makes its version of memories a fair deal easier to spot, thankfully.

BranJ0

About 25 hours in to TOTK, and I'm only just now approaching Eldin now to do my first story segment. I don't like my games to go on for too long, so I'm hoping the gap between this dungeon and my next one will be smaller, but needless to say this game is massive, and I feel like everything I do sidetracks me to do 5 more things. I still think there are fairly big issues: combat hasn't really been improved, eating food in the menu is a rubbish system that definitely shouldn't have been implemented a second time, the enemy variety is better but still not good enough, etc. I'm nervous about the dungeons as well, but keeping an open mind! The thing is though, whilst these complaints aren't unsubstantial, I can't deny just how much fun I'm having with this game. 2 hours feels like 5 minutes and I love it.

Nintendolife just posted an article asking if people wouldn't mind using the same Hyrule for a third time, and most staff members and commenters seemed quite keen for that. I was wondering what people here thought, because I honestly think that would be a huge mistake. They've got away with it for this game - the world feels different enough, and having an overworld you vaguely know the layout of makes it easier to orient yourself when exploring the sky and the massive depths, but personally I think a third time is far too cheeky

BranJ0

nessisonett

@BranJ0 I think there’s almost a 0% chance of Nintendo using the map a third time. For better or worse, it’s incredibly rare for Nintendo to have even made TotK a direct sequel and it still seems to be wildly ambitious and do its own thing. With the rumours that Aonuma’s stepping aside for the next game as well as the very real possibility that it would be developed for a console that doesn’t completely resemble the Switch, I could see them developing a new engine and going in a different direction. What that direction would be though, I have absolutely no clue. Part of the fun with Nintendo is that you really don’t know what you’ll get and sometimes they create games that you never knew you needed until you played them. Still maintain Wuhu Island deserves to be fully explorable in a game but that’s why I don’t work at Nintendo 😂

Haruki_NLI

@BranJ0 The one thing I feel that holds dungeons back in this game is that while they are grander in scope than BOTW they are still limited by the fact the game doesn't load them. They exist as part of the world you can go to at almost any time, like everything else except for shrines and fast travel.

@nessisonett Id say they'd develop a new engine...if TOTK wasn't already running on a different engine to the first game. I believe the only games to use that engine are BOTW and Ring Fit, whereas TOTK shares it's tech with Splatoon 3 and Switch Sports of all things.

Then again, these could just be newer forks of the Lunchbox engine they used for Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing and others.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

BranJ0

@nessisonett I'd like to think so too! Whilst I'm adoring totk, I can't QUITE get rid of the feeling that I would like something brand new, and I'm sure the Zelda developers are aware that they can't get away with this a third time. No idea what direction it would go in - I do imagine it'll maintain this completely free open world approach though. I'd love for them to develop both types of 3D Zeldas, the more linear ones with puzzle box dungeons, and these more open ones. I'd also love for more original 2D Zeldas! But we unfortunately can't have everything (not even an explorable Wuhu island!)

@Haruki_NLI Yeah this is a good point, and as a result it ends up not quite fulfilling the wonderful open world freedom or the tightly designed puzzle boxes of older games. That said, I'm judging too early as I've yet to do a single dungeon yet, so maybe I'll be happy with them!

BranJ0

kyleforrester87

I managed to play a fair bit this weekend finally, did the wind shrine and I’ve been exploring a lot of the depths. My earlier impression of the depths was kinda meh, but actually it’s a lot of fun going from light root to light root, uncovering the map as you go.

Look, I’m never going to finish this game - it can be really, really good, but I won’t be able to stick with it for as long as it requires and once I have forgotten the controls I am not sure I will go through learning them again lol. Or maybe it’s one I will keep coming back to, controls be damned. Glad I went digital so it is always ready to go, I suppose.

Have we spoken about DLC yet?

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

Considering it'll be late in the next console's lifecycle before another Zelda releases, I'd imagine they're going to build a new world with the improved hardware in mind.

BotW and TotK are games that feel like they're designed to get the absolute most out of the Wii U and Nintendo Switch hardware, respectively. Same will be true next time as well.

@kyleforrester87 The Depths have surprisingly in-depth sidequests and a ton of cool stuff to find. There's even an optional rune, if you haven't found it yet, that makes building vehicles about 100x easier.

I hope there's not DLC. This game really, really doesn't need it, lol.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

Man, that last memory in BOTW was pretty grim. I quite liked that it actually feels like a love story for once as well. Can’t believe Fi was acknowledged either, although I guess Skyward Sword was the previous main series game sort of.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I really, really need to play Skyward Sword lol.

Speaking of, wasn't that game pretty explicitly a love story?

nessisonett

@Ralizah Yeah, the characterisation was a lot stronger than previous games for Zelda but Link still came across like a massive dork because of the silent protagonist thing. With BotW, it implies Link talks offscreen a lot but it does still kinda take away from the narrative.

Ralizah

@nessisonett The funny thing is that if you look at Zelda's diary in Hyrule Castle, an in-universe explanation for why he's so quiet is offered.

nessisonett

@Ralizah I did find that when I went to get the memory near there! It’s a nice thought that there’s an attempt to explain him being so quiet because the dialogue when you talk to NPCs is amazing. Especially Link being a total kleptomaniac and saying things like ‘gimme those boots’ to the simp guy with the nice boots.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic