Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 661 to 680 of 7,479

Octane

@Ralizah I use it because it's there, but I don't miss it when I play my PS4. If that makes any sense. It's neat, but I don't use it enough for it to be a big deal.

Octane

Tasuki

@Ralizah But again unless you travel alot the portability of the Switch isn't going to be worth buying a game you already have on PS4 and that's the problem I am having.

I already played and beat Skyrim on the 360 years ago same with LA Noire and I have Doom on PS4. I rarely go anywhere but work and I am not taking my Switch there since my breaks aren't long enough. So besides the portability factor what's the point in buying the same game on the Switch?

As I said before it's great for Nintendo fans who don't own a PS4 or Xbox One or travel alot and want their favorite game on the go, but other the that the system is just Meh.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Ralizah

@Tasuki I disagree. I don't travel a lot, and the portability of the Switch is its biggest draw to me. Portable systems are just much more convenient and comfortable, and being able to play a game like Stardew Valley wherever I am without fixing myself in front of a TV for hours is irresistible to me.

Obviously, if you don't value hardware versatility, then the system won't have as big of a draw on you. There are people who are incredibly enticed by the notion of playing a game in 4K as well, but nothing about that entices me, which is why the Xbone X and (probably) the PS5 will probably not really interest me.

For me, there are two types of gaming machines: boxes that sit under TVs and require me to carve out a chunk of my time to dedicate myself to playing them, and systems that are portable and that I can easily integrate into my life, no matter how things happen to be going. I don't really care what stationary box I play a game on (I'd never be tempted to repurchase a game on PS4 that I also have on Steam, for example, or visa versa), but the notion of being able to play my games in a way that is more comfortable and enjoyable for me, like on the Switch, will get me to repurchase them if I like them enough.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Tasuki

@Ralizah I guess then that's what it comes down too personal preference. I have never been a huge portable gamer, even as a kid. Yeah I had a Gameboy but the only time I played it was on the good ole family road trips. Even now I own a 3DS but the last time I really played it was when A Link Between Worlds came out.

I have just always preferred playing games on a big screen controller in hand on a comfy couch or chair.

My Backlog

Haruki_NLI

I think the portable nature of Switch does lend itself to certain games quite well. Simulations like Stardew or bigger games like Skyrim that, yes, I have 4 systems that can play that already, but that is a game Im unprepared to sit down for a while just to progress a little in.

Actually I can say that about a lot of western games.

But then thats preference just like if you prefer a DS4 or XBO controller.

What I have seen is what effectively amounts to a three way venn diagram between consoles, pc and switch. Very very few people are in the overlap between all 3, but there are a lot of overlap between PC and Switch and some between consoles and Switch.

Consoles and PC? Probably some overlap.

And then youve got the groups on their own with just one system.

In reality I expect the overlap between the consoles and PC is small. Its a weird three way thing really all dictated hy preference. I just dont agree when insults get thrown because of that.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Tasuki

@BLP_Software I would also like to see a diagram of the age group of Switch users, PS4, PC.

I might be talking out my butt here, but I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the Switch owners are in the younger age group, not necessary young kids but those who have had a tablet or cell phone since they were young and that was how they were introduced to gaming or even ones that there first gaming system was a DS or GBA. Where they are more use to a smaller more portable gaming system. Where as someone my age was introduced to gaming on a home system and thus are more comfortable with a system like a PS4 or Xbox.

My Backlog

Rudy_Manchego

@Tasuki @BLP_Software Agree it would be interesting to see demographics for the Switch. I really like my Switch and find it complements my PS4 and other consoles pretty well. I am married with two kids and I find that the Switch does fit in quite well with my life because I don't always get the main telly but I can just pick up a game. It is how I managed to fit in so many hours into BOTW while still playing/completing other games on my PS4 because I used it when I couldn't get to my PS4. Of course, it is all down to lifestyle and that is just my personal circumstance.

I think it fits in with people like me, PC gamers who have a soft spot for Nintendo or also want something portable and also families/people with kids where it can keep kids quiet!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

@BLP_Software Well, I like (single player) adventure games a lot, so I gravitate towards Nintendo and Sony consoles. I don't own a dedicated gaming PC, because I need a laptop for uni/work, and I think that having to PCs is a bit redundant. My laptop is still pretty decent, not suitable for high-end gaming, but it can play the things I want to play on PC. But that's mostly retro stuff, with a few RTS games, tycoon sims or card games here and there. There's a place for everything, but as you said, I don't think the overlap between PC and PS4/Xbox One is very big.

@Tasuki It could be me, but I'm under the impression that Nintendo has the older demographics for once. I expect the majority of Switch owners to be at least 20 years old, probably between 20 to 30 years old. And for €330, I can't see many young children being able to afford the system. Most of them are into Minecraft, COD and GTA anyway (ok, well Minecraft is on Switch I think, but you get my point). I still remember that the 3DS barely sold when it came out, and it was because of the €250 price tag. It didn't do great until they dropped the price to €170 later that same year.

Octane

BAMozzy

I still think the Switch has a much larger demographic appeal. I can see Kids getting one for Birthday/Christmas and these are also the most likely to use them in handheld option - mostly because they don't drive and the main time I used my Gameboy was on the school bus or whilst being driven to places. I can see Kids being more likely to get-together outside of the house too. Again that's not to say some adults won't use them in portable mode whilst on the train/bus to/from work or during their lunch breaks or, as @Rudy_Manchego states, whilst at home and with limited access to a TV.

As a Parent, I can see the 'benefits' and its cheaper than buying a PS4 and a Handheld. As I have stated before, I can see its 'benefits' to hardcore gamers and how it compliments PC/XB1/PS4 gamers. I know that a lot of gamers have more than 1 device but for those that can only have 1 for whatever reason, its unlikely to be the 'priority' device. On the other hand though, those 'more casual' gamers (much as I hate that term) will be more interested in the Switch because of its 'versatility' and games that may not take 'heavy time investment' - a good alternative to the mobile/tablet/3DS - something they can put in their bag and take on holiday (an alternative to Kindle or eBook for non-avid book fans). If you look at how popular Pokemon Go was - and not just 'hardcore' gamers, the Switch is aimed at those 'gamers' too. I don't think it has quite the demographic range that Wii had with its motion sports/fitness appealing to elderly - maybe not 'directly' but the fact these appeared in 'elderly' homes to encourage more mobility in a 'safe' environment. I know many 'non-gamers', ones that would never buy a console owning a Wii for sports/fitness/party games - even my daughters who hated the idea of 'gaming' on consoles bought a Wii to access fitness and dance games. When my daughters left home, they had a Wii for these and often had house parties with a 'Dance' game for 'entertainment'. I don't know if Switch can recapture that demographic but it does have the potential I guess...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Ralizah

@Tasuki I could actually see the Switch appealing to older gamers. People with more responsibilities such as work, children, etc. aren't going to want to be tied down to one spot when things need to be attended to throughout the day. Maybe little Suzie is watching Spongebob Squarepants on the TV, but since you have a Switch, you can squeeze in a little bit of Zelda/Mario Kart time.

Ralizah

@Tasuki It's not that they only have one TV. It's that you can be wherever you need to be at any time without parking yourself in front of a TV somewhere and still be able to play console-quality games. It's also that, if you want to play with someone else, the Switch easily allows for multiplayer, with or without an extra controller, whenever the need arises. It's having as few obstacles as possible between myself and the game I want to play.

The PS4 demands that I sacrifice chunks of my life to play on it. The Switch is able to fit in to whatever environmental and situational niche I need it to. And that's why I appreciate its design so much.

Tasuki

@Ralizah I guess. Honestly I have never felt that way. It's just like if I want to watch TV or a movie. I guess I just never felt confined is all. Then again as I said I enjoy playing a game on a big screen TV with the surround sound and all that. Stuff you just can't get from a handheld.

My Backlog

Shellcore

@Ralizah Think you've hit the nail on the head there. Everyone has different requirements and commitments which they are forced to fit their free time around. For those who travel a lot or cant command premium lounge space when they need it, the Switch is a dream. The opposite of that are people who have far more free time in the home (maybe after work) who only share their space with their significant other (or enjoying the single life : )). For these people, it would be more about the quality of the experience, as portability just isn't important for them. I'm not commenting on the games, just the portability/in situ discussion.

PSN: Aleks-UK

Shellcore

@Tasuki When I lived with my parents, we had two (lounge/my room). Years later, just me and my partner, one TV does the job. Even though we do different things sometimes in the evening, we still like being in the same room. If my wife wanted to use the tele (she prefers her iPad), I would certainly be more likely to game on Switch.

PSN: Aleks-UK

JLPick

I own the system, and have had nintendo since the Atari 2600 era (yup, I'm that old) with the Donkey Kong game. The NES, Super NES, N64 and Gamecube (the last being my favorite nintendo console to date) were great systems, and have games that keep you coming back and playing...the Wii was fun for a while, but it's still a system that has great games. The Wii U (when I had it before I ended up selling it) only had a few titles that I played...Mario 3D World and Yoshi Woolly World...the rest just felt like rushed and quick-play games that didn't have the appeal of what nintendo usually puts into their games. I have a Switch, but bought it at the wrong time for myself (I also bought the Playstation VR at the same time). That being said, that the VR and PS4 are played a lot more (basically due to the game genres and varieties...but the Switch still is young and can catch up rather quickly), I'm not finding the new Zelda to be as great as Ocarina Of Time, the Original or Twilight Princess...Mario And Rabbids is fun, but the repeats throughout it, make it old. I never thought Splatoon or Arms looked good...my wife bought the Splatoon 2 game and I was right...it's boring to me and she didn't care for it either. Then there's Mario Kart 8, which I've played on the Wii U, so it's nothing new (and I'm really hoping that it's not going to be the only Mario Kart on the Switch...because they usually only make one Mario Kart per system). I am excited for Mario Odyssey (or Sonic Adventure repeat), but after that, nothing else really coming out for a while. I guess I can't wait to see what after the holidays holds...at least I'm hoping for a proper Pikmin, Animal Crossing and an early release date for the Kirby and Yoshi games!!!! And I'd love for the virtual arcade to finally come to the E-Shop as well.

JLPick

PSN: JLpick

PS_Nation

My Switch is here, now I'm ready for Super Mario Odyssey. =P

PS_Nation

Tasuki

So take this with a grain of salt, but today I was talking with a Nintendo Representative at Best Buy during a Mario Odyssey event and according to him the Switch won't have a VC. Instead when Nintendo launches their online service and people pay the yearly fee, they will also have access to a catalog of older games that they can stream instead of download so basically something like PS Now.

To me it made alot of sense, it encourages Nintendo fans to pay for online service, something that they haven't had to do before, where as they not only get the online service but also a whole catalog of old NES games.

Definitely an interesting thought and would explain why there's no VC on the Switch yet.

My Backlog

Rudy_Manchego

@Tasuki Hmm interesting idea and while, sure, this is a rumour, I think Nintendo are completely rethinking their VC strategy and this would make sense too.

I have always thought that the whole NES and SNES mini 'limited' run thing was to actually drum up interest in old games to make whatever their new VC plans were more attractive. I also think that they have put a lot of their classic titles on Wii, Wii U and 3DS VC's already (I know not later gens are really included) and a lot of people have either complained about buying for a third or fourth time or still have those systems. People buy something once, Nintendo makes a one off sale but a subscription service would mean people who only want a few titles have to subscribe rather than cherry pick. Not only that but I think it might help with licensing costs with third party publishers on classic games

I wonder if it would be more of a download rather than stream but you still don't own it but are renting it.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

BAMozzy

From what I gather, I thought Nintendo's online subscription would be offering 'classic' games on a 'rental' type basis. Every month you get access to a couple of games for free that are playable for that month only and, as they are 'rented' as such, you replace these with their next month's offerings. Whether they will also sell those games for you to keep permanently, I don't now but wouldn't be surprised. At least that's how I understood it anyway

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic