Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,681 to 1,700 of 7,479

Rudy_Manchego

Hmmm - I'm still on the fence about getting for Switch or PS4. I may wait until closer the time to decide because I'm happy to wait for Switch if it gets a solid release date as I'll probably still be playing God of War or maybe Detroit by then but at the same. Part of me wants it on PS4 so I can complete the trilogy on one platform with trophies, the other part of me wants to play Dark souls using the Pro controller or on the move with Switch.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Tasuki

99 Vidas is coming to Switch. Played it last night on the PS4 since it was free this month and I enjoyed it. It reminding me alot of the old school beat em ups.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

redd214

@Tasuki cool news. Have been playing thru it also with my sons last couple weeks. Def2calls back to Final Fight Streets of Rage etc.

redd214

JohnnyShoulder

Will be getting Dark Souls for the PS4 but was gonna double dip and get it for the switch too. Course can still do that it just won't be at the same time.

Something sadistic about being able to play Dark Souls while having a poo.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Haruki_NLI

Time to see if NIS America is justified on their support for Switch over PS4 line. Disgaea 1 Complete is launching on both in the West this Fall.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Tobiaku

LRG is doing Night Trap for Switch

Tobiaku

Rudy_Manchego

So I've now put a few hours into Skyrim on the Switch and I must say, so far, I am really impressed with the Switch version. To caveat, apart from watching a friend on the 360 play through some of it, I've never partaken so can't comment on the various versions. It looks great handheld and is a fit for portable, a little like I found Zelda BOTW. While my main focus is God of War, I managed another hour or so yesterday when the other half was using the main TV which is exactly how I like to use the Switch when I can't play docked.

With Doom, I found the experience in handheld not as good as when docked but can' see a noticable difference with Skyrim.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Haruki_NLI

My friend in America is upgrading to his first home console ever with the Switch soon, upgrading from 3DS with a list of accessories he needs to buy.

He said he's getting Xenoblade, Crash, Spyro if it comes, Ys VIII, and maybe Mario + Rabbids and DOOM of all things.

He predicted being a handheld gamer he'd be almost entirely away from the dock.

I asked him to let me know a month in because he wont stick to that. As @Rudy_Manchego says, its a game by game person by person thing.

Rudy_Manchego

@YummyHappyPills Do share what he ends up doing as I've heard lots about those who prefer home console gaming picking up Switches but not necessarily handheld gamers picking up the Switch. I did Zelda fifty fifty docked, Mario Kart and Odyssey almost all handheld, majority of Doom docked and I see Skyrim being fifty fifty again.

On a separate note, a few of us at my work have (almost) managed to persuade the powers that be to fund getting a Swtich dock for the office so we can do some Mario Kart tournaments with our respective Switchs and joycons.

Haruki_NLI

@Rudy_Manchego I'll share when he makes the plunge. Told him to nab a screen protector (Well he asked for recommendations, he was gonna buy one like he does for all devices!), an SD card size and carry case.

I think he will play mostly handheld, game dependant. I played Binding of Isaac either or, its fine. DOOM I can do either or as well. Same with Zelda. Mario, not so much.

What I'm curious about is how will I play Pokemon? I cant see myself playing that on a TV

Ralizah

I take back any shade I've ever thrown at Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The game is incredible, even with its flaws. The best game Monolith Soft has ever made.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Tasuki

@Rudy_Manchego Yeah as I said many times the Switch port is done really good. Graphic wise I put it in between the 360 version and the PS4 although in handheld mode you can't really notice it's when your docked at least that's what I have seen in comparison videos.

Personal experience though I do noticed that when docked Skyrim on Switch does remind me of last gen game though a bit better graphically wise.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 In a cruel twist of fate, I had to leave for work right after losing to the Malos/Jin fight in Ch. 7 (it's tough, so I'm betting it's the chapter ending fight). Once I complete the chapter and get Pyra back, I'm going to do some major sidequesting. Unfortunately, a bunch of side-quests apparently require her presence, so I had to hold off on my plan to power-level a bunch of my blades. Once I get her back, I'm doing a bunch of work on my blade stable so that I'm not utterly gimped if I lose her again.

And yes, the music is brilliant. The best OST in the series, by far, and it rivals Persona 5 as the best JRPG on a musical level this gen. The presentation overall is utterly engrossing. I'm both impressed and a little shocked that all of the rare blades apparently get so much story development as well.

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah yeah, it can be kind of bothersome to find the best time to stop and level/do side quests as it often seems like a member of your team is unavailable or something else is happening that pushes you toward doing more of the story. Oh well!

Glad you are enjoying it. I really did love it. Although I have struggled to do the side quests because there is a bit too much faffing round in the menus swapping blades in and out and hitting walls because you don't have the required field skills. It's like you can get half way through a quest then need a field skill for a blade you don't have yet which can only be obtained through RNG. I don't HATE it because of that, but it can be a bit of a downer. But then there is always something else to do while you wait for the appropriate blade. If you could just use field skills without having to actually equip the required blades it would really help, IMO. But unloading your team to equip 6 earth blades just to take them all back out again is a bit of a chore I think! I am doing a NG+ though and fully intend on getting the DLC. Nice to know there are plenty of blades and quests waiting for me to do in the future, too. And the QoL updates keep coming.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 The hitting walls with the field skills thing is what aggravated me for so long. Fortunately, merc missions help a lot with leveling these up for normal blades, so that, combined with some proactive development of my rare blades opened up most of the sidequests for me.

I also need to figure out how to optimize Poppi and unlock her third form.

Did you change up your drivers throughout the game? Because I've just stuck with Nia and Tora whenever possible.

Well into Ch. 8 now, btw.

I won't be buying the DLC until I know what's in it. It's half the price of the game!

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

Are you guys literally hitting walls with blades in the game, or is that just a figure of speech?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah I swapped Tora out for Morag (edit: I said Zeke, dunno why, had him on my mind but never really used him! All the main characters are good tbf! I liked Morag because she reminded me of Beatrix from FF9 who I always thought was a brilliant character!) and never looked back, but Poppi is bloody brilliant. Some of her one liners kill me, especially when shes ripping on Tora. I will wait to hear whats in the DLC before paying of course, absolutely no reason to pre-order it blind, but it would have to be really bad for me to pass up on. As long as it has at least a few hours gameplay and some new voiced cut scenes I'm down. I do expect it will be more significant than that, though.

@JohnnyShoulder literally driving blades into walls.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 There is some hilarious battle dialogue. My favorite exchange so far:

Nia: Poppi, what's your body made out of?
Poppi: Poppi could tell you, but then Poppi would have to kill you.

I'm finally at the point where my entire team has been reunited, so I'm going to assume this is probably my last good opportunity to diverse from the main plot. This is where the Switch's versatility will come in handy: I'll switch to primarily playing other games on the TV and then grind subquests/merc missions/affinity nodes/heart-to-hearts/etc. while I'm on the computer at night. I can use tabletop mode to prop my switch up near the monitor so that I can do work/browse the internet/etc. in the meantime.

I'll switch back to the dock when I'm ready to tackle the rest of the main story chapters in this game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

Love that trailer btw. Wonderfully violent.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic