Forums

Topic: Gaming's pet peeves

Posts 461 to 464 of 464

Yousef-

Hmmm I didn’t know this thread existed. I suppose I’ll lay down my biggest annoyance in gaming:

• conveyer belts
    I wish I was joking…

“One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.”
-Max Payne

54 days until Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster.

Donut Drake did nothing wrong.

Th3solution

@Malaise It’s a great question. The relative creative deficiencies of the industry are definitely something I find interesting. But honestly I do think the interesting and innovative stuff is out there, but you’re right — financial risk is too high for many projects to get off the ground and many are just too unnoticed to make a dent in the public consciousness. At least that’s what I assume.

I’m probably guilty of feeding the graphical and technologically demanding beast. I enjoy having games that push the tech, but it is very concerning that they take longer and longer, cost more and more, and then create larger and larger volatility in the space, and then layoffs, closures, etc, etc when they don’t sell.

It’s paradoxical in a way, because the “time to triangle” as Mark Cerny puts it (time to render a triangle on screen) is so much less now, but developers have taken the tech to the nth degree to make games prettier, flashier, and faster. They could make those early Final Fantasy games in a few months back in the day, now it takes 5+ years.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Ravix @Yousef- I can’t disagree on either of these points.
I can put up with some illogical design sometimes to meet a gameplay endpoint, but usually there’s a simpler more logical way that the same gameplay activity could have been realized.

I hate conveyer belts too. And underwater levels.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Yousef-

@Th3solution man don’t get me even started on underwater levels. The real plague of my existence. Sure, some are fine. But ignore the good some and you’re left 65%-ish stinky levels.

Truth be told, I despite virtually all manners of control being pulled from me. That would include, but not be limited to, a camera randomly panning out of you to displsy some tutorial thing ahead of you. Random camera movements actually disorients the heck out of me and I’d need half a second to mentally readjust which is incredibly annoying when it constantly happens.

“One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.”
-Max Payne

54 days until Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster.

Donut Drake did nothing wrong.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic