423 Blocked

You have been blocked for security reasons. This server understood your request, but will not service any requests from your IP address.

function checkViewport () { if (document.cookie.match(/device=desktop/) || (navigator.userAgent.match(/iPad/i)) || (navigator.userAgent.match(/Safari/i) && !navigator.userAgent.match(/iPhone/i) && navigator.userAgent.match(/Version\/(13|14|15)/i)) || (navigator.userAgent.match(/Android/i) && screen.width >= 800 && screen.width > screen.height && !navigator.userAgent.match(/Mobile/i)) || (screen.width > window.innerWidth && screen.width > 800 && !navigator.userAgent.match(/Android|iPhone/i))) { document.getElementById("viewport").setAttribute("content","width=1275"); } else { document.getElementById("viewport").setAttribute("content",document.getElementById("viewport").getAttribute("data-original")); }}; checkViewport(); window.addEventListener('resize', checkViewport);if (!document.documentElement.matches('.light, .dark')) { if (matchMedia('(prefers-color-scheme: dark)').matches) { document.documentElement.classList.add('dark'); } else if (matchMedia('(prefers-color-scheme: light)').matches) { document.documentElement.classList.add('light'); } }

Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 5,641 to 5,649 of 5,649

psmr

Metonymy wrote:

if you’re looking for something to get truly lost in!

Aye that’s exactly what I’m after right now, so it seems I’ve made decent choice in that case. I’ve on;y had an hour or two with it so far as I had to sort a few things out today but I’m enjoying what I’ve played so far.

Might not feel like it but these are your glory days.
The "salad years" you know?
Nothing is going to beat who you are now.
You can't see all the ****ed up 💩 that's looming on the horizon.
Enjoy this dude

Metonymy

Silent Hill: Townfall - As a preface, I read yesterday that some people are having significant trouble with a certain enemy’s A.I. and also inconsistencies with the cover/detection system. I didn’t encounter these issues in my play through, so I can’t speak to them.

This is a different but inspired take on Silent Hill, one that really worked for me. I found it to be absolutely nail biting and stressful as hell, in the way only the most effective survival horrors are able to elicit. Make no mistake, this is a hardcore survival horror experience, with a massive emphasis on stealth and puzzles, far more so than I was expecting.

What impresses me the most is the way in which its puzzles are integrated into the overall immersive design, more along the lines of something like Myst. Large sections of the game can be one sprawling puzzle, almost like a puzzle set-piece, if you will. One of the simpler ones has you attending to a patient: noting vitals (hope you know your systolic/diastolic parameters), calibrating the medical camera in order to take proper x-rays, collecting medications from around the hospital then deducing and administering the proper dosage by referencing patient info from the nearby computer and whiteboards and finally intubating the patient all while a pessimistic and condescending senior surgeon berates your efforts over an intercom. Oh, and mistakes result in taking damage.

The final puzzle is an absolute doozy. If I can offer some direction, it would be to take the orders extremely literally. The note on the desk sets things up: command/equipment/id. When the printer prints out orders, such as the first order to “Open Valve B,” ‘open’ is the command, ‘valve’ is the equipment, ‘B’ is the ID. Set the camera to valves A-C and zoom in to find valve B’s identification. Then use the console to push the buttons that represents ‘open’ then ‘valve’ then enter the ID. Then so on from there. The hardest part is the symbols, just don’t overthink it!

Combat, if/when you encounter it is straightforward shooter territory. Besides long reload times, there’s nothing here besides point and shoot. It works. Stealth is the name of the game, and I found it very well implemented. The crtv implementation is brilliant, creating a lot of tension as you tune from enemy to enemy while moving through areas. You’re forced to use everything at your disposal, from bottles and bricks (which can also stun enemies if needed) to hiding spots and dead bolting doors. And if you inevitably get caught, there is a revival system ready to save the day.

Narratively, this is a different beast. Less introspectively psychological, Townfall’s themes are broader, though guilt remains a predominant focus. Without spoiling too much, I’ll say that I think survival horror generally works best from one perspective, and I stand by that after playing through this, though the game presents its perspective shifts more as vignettes with definitive beginning and ending points, which works wonders for the uphill battle such perspective shifts create for its pacing

Lastly, the presentation, from graphics (the texture work here is next level) to audio is all phenomenal. At times oppressively dark, the atmosphere can go from openly dilapidated to crushingly claustrophobic and back again. I did have some sporadic slowdown during gameplay and some consistent stuttering during cutscenes, which is disappointing.

If the thought of stealthy, hide and seek gameplay, one hit kills, banging your head against walls figuring out yet another puzzle sounds like a bad time, stay far away from this. @Tjuz not sure if you’d like this one, based on what I’ve picked up from you but I’d hate for you to miss out on a fantastic survival horror experience based on presumptions. Hopefully I’ve given enough information here to help you.

I preferred this to Silent Hill f, which I also highly enjoyed. Though I think f had the more thought provoking narrative, Townfall just hit better for me. I love that we’re getting these different takes on Silent Hill, the franchise feels fresh and exciting. I hope they keep swinging. I won’t be going for another ending right away as I need a break 😅

[Edited by Metonymy]

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” -C.S. Lewis

Metonymy

@psmr Here’s hoping it scratches that itch for you!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” -C.S. Lewis

psmr

@Metonymy I haven’t been particularly taken by what I’ve seen of SH: Townfall but write-up there has made me interested. More so than the various state of play exposure and skimmed reviews, I’m gonna have to take a second look I think.

Might not feel like it but these are your glory days.
The "salad years" you know?
Nothing is going to beat who you are now.
You can't see all the ****ed up 💩 that's looming on the horizon.
Enjoy this dude

Metonymy

@psmr It’s marketing has been woeful. Even as a Silent Hill fan, I really had no idea what I was getting into with this one. Now that I’ve finished it, I’m seeing a fair amount of negativity surrounding it, which is surprising to me. This game feels like Silent Hill through and through to me, and really nails the fundamentals of this style of survival horror. I guess it largely depends on what one considers fun. It does a great job of making the player feel under the gun, in constant danger, behind the 8ball and overwhelmed by what’s going on around them. Hardcore survival horror takes a lot out of me, but I’m looking for that experience. This game made my brain hurt and my pulse race and just generally stressed me out quite a bit, but I respect that not everyone is into that type of experience. It’s a hard one to flat out recommend, but I’m glad I’ve peaked your interest. If it helps, I’d give 2Remake a 10, f a 7/7.5 and Townfall a solid 8.

Think I might have time to fit Wolverine in before Control Resonant, so I’ll likely start that next. I saw you really enjoyed it, it was nice to see that cut through the overwhelming pile-on the game was subjected to.

[Edited by Metonymy]

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” -C.S. Lewis

psmr

@Metonymy good to know… and glad that you seem to have gotten what you wanted from it.

Yeah I did enjoy Wolverine, though I do think all the negativity probably helped with that as I wasn’t expecting much. Felt a bit like a God of War (2018)-lite to me… and I love that combat style. As I alluded to with the ‘lite’ it doesn’t have quite as much going on as Kratos’ reboot once he’s fully upgraded (particularly in Ragnarok) but I still really enjoyed it. Hope it connects with you when you give it a go.

[Edited by psmr]

Might not feel like it but these are your glory days.
The "salad years" you know?
Nothing is going to beat who you are now.
You can't see all the ****ed up 💩 that's looming on the horizon.
Enjoy this dude

Werehog

"If I let not knowing anything stop me from doing something, I'd never do everything!"

Tjuz

Tjuz

GirlVersusGame

[Edited by GirlVersusGame]

These violent delights have violent ends & in their triumph die, like fire & powder Which, as they kiss, consume.

Bluesky: justkoshechka.bsky.social

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic