Forums

Topic: E3 2018

Posts 1 to 20 of 375

Decoy_Snake

It's just around the corner and like every year I'm getting pretty hyped for what's shown at every presser (even though I'm PlayStation exclusive I still watch Ninty & Microsofts shows), below are a few hopes of mine that I'd love to see at this year's show.

Borderlands 3 - seems like I've been waiting ages for any news on this a teaser/trailer would be great

Batman Arkham 5 - the rumours of it being shown last year had me hyped the fact it never appeared sucked, can't see WB letting it die as it's a money spinner hopefully news at the show

DOOM 2 - the best single player shooter since 2007 needs a sequel

Dark Cloud 3 - I live in hope that it will one day be announced, fingers crossed

Horizon Zero Dawn sequel or another DLC expansion - this for me is the finest exclusive in Sony's stable, over 100 hours in and I can't stop playing it more HZD is needed!!

Edited on by Quintumply

Decoy_Snake

Twitter:

Decoy_Snake

I was thinking the exact same about God Of War having an expansion makes perfect sense if it's more open worldy than before

Decoy_Snake

Twitter:

KALofKRYPTON

I'm hoping that the fabled Rocksteady Superman game shows up....

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Kidfried

Hopes and expectations for E3:

• Shenmue HD
  • God of War DLC
  • New Japan studio game
  • Devil May Cry
  • Hollow Knight for PS4
  • Shadows Die Twice
  • Rocksteady game

I think Sony has enough in the works to blow the competition out of the water. Although we pretty much know all of the above to be in the works, I can see them saving up some announcements for later.

Kidfried

Octane

Every year it feels as if there isn't a whole lot Sony can announce, simply because we already know about a dozen or so games coming to the PS4. Yet they manage to release at least half a dozen of solid games each year, if not more.

Anyway, I expect Japan Studio is working on something that will be revealed at E3. I hope it's more of the Gravity Rush and Last Guardian calibre than Knack.

Octane

Decoy_Snake

Like to see something on the Resident Evil 2 Remake as well,

@Octane Ghost Of Tsushima came out of nowhere for me Sony will always have something to show, you can't really knock the exclusive output over the last 20 off years

Decoy_Snake

Twitter:

Decoy_Snake

PSX for me wasn't like it had been because Sony had that show at Paris Games Week, I think that was the original E3 presser until Microsoft didn't show to much to worry them

Decoy_Snake

Twitter:

Octane

@KratosMD Well, that's partly because they do three to four big conferences each year. And they don't big a big deal out of new trailers, they seem to drop at random on their YouTube channel. So all the big news, teasers, trailers, first gameplay look, etc. happen at E3, Gamescom/PGW, TGS and PSX. So that inevitably means that they have to spread their game announcements across four conferences, and fill the rest with trailers of games we already know about. It's not a big issue. But it makes it difficult to announce three new games at one conference whilst also making the other three worthwhile watching.

Octane

Decoy_Snake

kyleforrester87 wrote:

A new Resident Evil (2 remake or 8) would be a big moment for me.

still haven't played 7 haha it's only £15 but I just don't wanna gamble hated the demo

Decoy_Snake

Twitter:

BAMozzy

@Octane Most people seem to focus purely on the 'new' AAA titles and not those VR or Indie games and therefore think that Sony can't have a 'lot' to show us. We all knew what the studio's were working on last year with the exception of Sucker-Punch so E3 2017 didn't really surprise - the Surprise was more that Sucker Punch didn't show up. The main 'big' game that surprised would probably have been SotC remake - other than the VR games like Moss, FFxv Fishing etc.

Of course there were other games - either VR (as mentioned) or Indie that cropped up at the various Shows but the only new AAA game was Ghost of Tsushima. Thematically a surprise but people had been expecting a Sucker Punch reveal for over a year by the time it did turn up.

3rd Party Studio's can bring a new AAA 'surprise' too - like FromSoftware and a new Bloodborne for example - but when most people consider Sony and what they could bring, they look first to the 1st Party studio's. The more Japanese games don't tend to get much coverage at the western shows so people look at the more western studios and most have games we are still waiting on. It would be too soon for the God of War Devs to announce a new game and maybe too soon for GG too - although a sequel to H:ZD could be an option as they are not building it totally from scratch having spent years building the robots and AI for these for the first game. Its not surprising then that people feel E3 may not hold too many new surprises.

Bluepoint though could also offer a surprise - a remaster of a classic PS exclusive, VR and/or some Indie games can still surprise and offer more 'New' reveals but as we still know what the majority of the Studio's are working on (or just released), the surprises are at least unlikely to come from the 1st party AAA devs. But that doesn't mean Sony can't still have half a dozen or so 'new' games to reveal...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Tasuki

I just hope Sony announces games that are coming out this year not 5 years from now.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Kidfried

@KratosMD To me Nintendo is doing the same. They've already announced Smash, Prime and Fire Emblem as well. I don't think it's a problem at all, but it's not very different from Sony's strategy.

We already kind of know what to expect from Nintendo's game as well. The first gameplay of Ghosts and Death Stranding? Way more exciting to me at least.

Kidfried

Haruki_NLI

Well we know what Nintendo is going to show and what Sony is going to show. We will see Yoshi, FE16, MP4, Smash, all with final names or dates and are games we will have known exist for either 18 months to only a few months at that point.

I think with the exception of Yoshi, it will all be "first gameplay" and looks at games we knew existed but never got anything concrete.

I think the reason people are looking to THAT more favourably than what Sony is doing is where Nintendo has these games announce up to 18 months prior, Sony is still showing games they announced in 2015 and 2016. Some of their games are going for their third E3 if not more, let alone a far greater number of years since reveal.

So while their strategies are largely the same...they are at extremes. Nibtendo is treading the fine line of "mid term announcements" that will be a year or two off that they can say are coming but not apoil the surprise of a full reveal. What Sony has done is actually almost reminiscent of the Jan 2013 Nintendo Direct where they announced a new Xenoblade, Zelda, FE Crossover and more...and we didnt get those for 3, 4 years.

I think its a matter of time. Yes its the same strategy but you cant announce something TOO far in advance. So sure something like TLOU2 and Ghost will get gameplay reveals, but in the case of TLOU2 we saw that at PSX 2016. Thats how long we have known. Thats the same time as Fire Emblem now by the time we see both games in action.

Then ask about FF7, Shenmue 3, KH3, will they be there? What about Dreams, a game from around the time the PS4 launched?

This is the kind of situation it is. Neither strategy is particularly bad, but the ball is definitely in Nintendos court due to timing their announcements in a way that by this E3 they wont be worn down or viewers wont be sick of seeing them yet again.

Thats what hit Sony last year throughout its show season. 3 instances of "We've seen this before at last E3/This E3/PGW".

Fatigue.

Are people fatigued or tired of seeing MP4 being brought up, or Smash yet, or Fire Emblem? Or Yoshi? No. They were mentioned once and not since.

Sony took every chance to trumpet games theyd mentioned or revealed already...but they were years out so we kept seeing fatiguing content.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Kidfried

@KratosMD Different opinions then. With Fire Emblem for Switch, we kind of know already what type of game it's going to be. Same with Smash. It's just another game in the series. They are great games, but hardly surprises to me.

We know close to nothing about how Ghosts and Death Stranding will be gameplay wise. To me, that's a way bigger surprise. Also... new franchises.

In the end it comes down to you and @YummyHappyPills are more excited about Nintendo, but I'm not, though.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Haruki_NLI

Im not more excited about Nintendo.

What excites me is Smash as the gaming worlds most insane (And after Smash 4 ANYTHING can happen) crossover event.

Metroid Prime 4 is a sequel to a game from 10 years ago we enver thought we would see and could go in a new direction.

Fire Emblem is the first HD instalment of a franchise I give no damns about but its cool for them to see what they can do with this new scope. Same with Pokemon.

Sure, Sony is showing gameplay to new franchises, and that's good, but Nintendo is showing gameplay to new entries to franchises that have never had this freedom before.

Depends on your desires - do you want nothing but new names and new gameplay, or to see the classics revived in a new scope not seen before for the series.

Haruki_NLI

Well speaking of Nintendo they just confirmed that on the Monday and Tuesday of E3 (weird for them) there will be the final to the Splatoon 2 tournaments going on currently, and a Super Smash Bros. Invitational.

Smash will be shown off potentially BEFORE their usual showcase. It is listed first so may be that Monday...

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Ralizah

@YummyHappyPills Makes sense. If it's basically just Smash 4+, there's no reason to waste time on it in the showcase. Just have a tournament with people playing the new additions.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

So, Sony changed their approach to PSX last year. For sure, it got lukewarm reception and their E3 show will probably not be a developer round table, but... does anyone think they might make change up the show a bit? Or can we expect a traditional conference?

Kidfried

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.