Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 781 to 800 of 1,285

QualityGeezer

Supposedly my opinion on Nintendo being a kids console and lacking the talent to make any kind of game that appeals to grown up players and not just about pushing jump is unpopular but I genuinely believe it. I got nothing against ppl liking Nintendo but please don't class it with PlayStation or Xbox, it's like lego and duplo

Edited on by QualityGeezer

QualityGeezer

kyleforrester87

@QualityGeezer An unpopular opinion is fine but it's fundamentally wrong to say that they lack talent to make any kind of game that appeals to grown up players since a whole bunch of adults thoroughly enjoy Nintendo games, myself included. Maybe your wording is just off.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

QualityGeezer

@Kyleforrester87 that's fair enough mate not a knock just honestly can't stand Nintendo I even think Mario is as boring as it gets. If you enjoy it that's cool mate but they have nothing that would hold up against uncharted for example and that's not even the best game on playstation

QualityGeezer

kyleforrester87

@QualityGeezer That's fair enough, it's personal taste at the end of the day. In my opinion BOTW destroys The Witcher 3, and Mario Odyssey is leagues ahead of Uncharted!

I would say it's probably not too unpopular to feel the way you do though, a lot of people dont like Nintendo games.

kyleforrester87

redd214

I'd put most of Nintendos 1st party games above the whole Uncharted series and that's coming from a primarily Playstation player.

redd214

QualityGeezer

@Kyleforrester87 yeah mate that's fair enough shows we have different tastes, the witcher 3 in my opinion is the greatest game ever but it suits what I'm looking for in a game, BOTW for me was like watching CBEEBIES but like I said that's not my bag and I know it's popular it's just I can't enjoy Nintendo games they seem too lack everything I like in a game

Edited on by QualityGeezer

QualityGeezer

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 His wording isn't off. He's saying exactly what he means. What he's saying just happens to be quite foolish.

The funny thing, of course, is that Nintendo's primary demographic is 30+ years old at this point.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

QualityGeezer

I knew my opinion would be unpopular just honestly dislike Nintendo. @Ralizah each to their own

QualityGeezer

DerMeister

The idea that Nintendo is a "kiddy game maker" has been around since at least the Gamecube era. I've personally dealt with it so much, I don't really get upset by it anymore. They really don't challenge that perception too much themselves, if I'm being honest. They market themselves as family friendly, have products like Labo to reinforce it, and don't have much success or representation with more "mature" games, despite having titles like Fire Emblem or Octopath Traveler, which are more in the middle.

I do roll my eyes whenever people feel the need to throw shade (as they're calling it now) at Nintendo fans, especially on here (@QualityGeezer isn't doing this, I'm just talking about in general). It just serves no point and brings nothing but fanboy arguements that derail actual discussion.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Ralizah

@QualityGeezer Look, I don't think anyone cares if you dislike Nintendo's output or not. But saying they "lack the talent to make a game about anything other than pushing jump" isn't really an 'unpopular opinion,' it's just sort of a silly thing to say. It's not reflective of reality and just shows that you haven't made an attempt to engage with most of their output. How is Pikmin, a real time strategy game, a "game about pushing jump?" Zelda? Fire Emblem? Splatoon? I could go on.

If you want to say: "I don't like Nintendo as a company and don't care to try out their games," then... you know, whatever. I think it's a shame, but people will do what they want. But generalizing about something so obviously untrue probably isn't a great approach. Just my two cents.

Edited on by Ralizah

QualityGeezer

@Ralizah @Kyleforrester87 @DerMeister sorry if my point has come across wrong wasn't meant as an insult or slight if you enjoy what they offer then winner. @Ralizah maybe this wording explains it better. I enjoy narrative driven emotional and engaging games. I don't find any Nintendo games too have this depth. I agree before you say they have depth in other ways but not in what I'm looking for, like I said I having played countless Nintendo games the stories at best seem like they were written by 5 year olds and that's just not what I'm into

QualityGeezer

Ralizah

@QualityGeezer I can absolutely see why someone attracted to narrative-driven experiences wouldn't have much of an interest in Nintendo's exclusives, which are, by and large, almost exclusively gameplay focused.

themcnoisy

@Ralizah @KratosMD @DerMeister @kyleforrester87

I would like to add to the point that @QualityGeezer has made. I was a huge fan of Nintendo - so much so the GC was my first console of the Gamecube, ps2, xbox era. I had a Game boy advance, wavebird, multiple game cards and peripherals. Super Monkey Ball, FZero GX, Rogue Leader, the best version of Soul Calibur 2. Absolutely awesome.

However by the end of that gen I had absolutely enough of Nintendos output and its big hitters. Something changed in the way I felt about the games.

As they keep reusing iconic characters Mario, Link, Samus etc to me the games have become whimsical churlish experiences. Put on Mario Odyssey. Great there's Mario Again doing what Mario does. Put on Smash Brothers. Great there's mini characters fighting mini characters again. Put on Zelda, there's link again doing what Link does to fight the boss to basically do it all again. None of those games are bad. They are all amazing, gameplay perfection. But due to the recycled events, characters and mechanics I have had enough.

Nintendos games are too safe, samey, cosy and benign. This can also be applied to Uncharteds semi game / movie template. Fifa and Cods annual iterations. Same sh£t different day.

For me variety is the spice of life and I like new things. Like @KratosMD encouraging me to play P4G. Chatting to @kyleforrester87 about the secrets in Fez. Getting advice on Danganronpa from @Ralizah or talking fighting tactics on a plethora of fighting with @DerMeister

That's way more interesting than talking about how many moons I have collected in Super Mario 72.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy Peoples tastes change over time and what does it for you one decade might not the next, it doesn’t mean you won’t swing back to enjoying Nintendo’s output. As for reusing characters etc, I don’t really buy that. Each new instalment tends to stand up on its own, and its only so obvious since it contrasts with Sony’s approach of dropping mascots every few years, which in itself can be a bummer as good franchises get lost to time.

In my opinion....

Breath of the Wild - Best openworld game of all time
Odyssey - Best 3D platformer of all time
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 3rd best JRPG of all time

It does help that I have never been a huge Nintendo gamer, I missed a lot of the Mario games.

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

I don't think engaging in a diversity of software and enjoying consistently excellent Nintendo series are mutually exclusive, personally. Besides, there's a lot of variety in some of their big series. Games like Breath of the Wild, The Wind Waker, and Majora's Mask are all radically different experiences from one another, for example, despite all being in the same broad "Zelda" category. And even if you ignore the big series, you still have stuff like Splatoon, Pikmin, Metroid, Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem, etc.

Of course, I couldn't get on with JUST their stuff, which is why I'm a multi-platform gamer, but, of the big three manufacturers, their game design philosophy is the one that appeals to me the most. Perhaps because they're still, by far, the one that has kept most in touch with their Japanese roots (Xbox never had any to begin with, and Playstation is basically an American brand these days). Nothing Microsoft makes anymore excites me on any level (aside from Cuphead, if that counts, and maybe the Ori games). Playstation's games are often too realistic, cinematic, and violent for my tastes, although I usually find some stuff from their first-party developers that I like (HZD is fantastic, for example). I don't like ALL Nintendo games, but I find that their commitment to mostly family-friendly entertainment that is laser-focused on play, accessible challenge, and discovery fits my preferences most closely.

Also, I'm much bigger on the Big N now that they're developing for a hybrid system as, at heart, I am primarily a handheld gamer. I LOVE being able to play my games away from the TV. If Sony ever develops a hybrid that isn't reliant on streaming, then they'll be getting a lot more of my money.

Historically, I've been more of a Sega and Playstation guy than a Nintendo guy, though, and I have very little nostalgia for a lot of their older systems.
For me:
Genesis > SNES
PS1 > N64
PS2 > Gamecube

Edited on by Ralizah

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87

Odyssey - Best 3D platformer of all time

That's a lie. Astrobot is better In every single way. In fact Astrobot was like playing Mario 64 for the first time. How it wasnt voted goty last year is a mystery professor Leyton couldn't solve.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 3rd best JRPG of all time

Never played it. Might give it a go when I trade Mario odyssey In.

themcnoisy

@Ralizah Maybe that's why I have gone off Nintendo. Been playing their stuff all my life and when I played odyssey my immediate thought was to go back and play 64 or sunshine instead. Extremely similar games which I knew very well without ever mastering them. That's not restricted to Nintendo though, playing Disgaea 5 or Sonic Mania - I just wanted to put Disgaea 2 and Sonic CD back on for the same reasons.

Ralizah

Astro Bot sounds fun. Too bad it's reliant on an expensive VR headset!

@themcnoisy I've played a lot of their older games, but only years later. Didn't play OoT or SM64 until I was already an adult, for example, and I don't particularly enjoy either. Sunshine on the Gamecube is fantastic, though, and has aged brilliantly. The good thing about being a very late blooming Nintendo fan is that I get to look back at a lot of their big games from years past without the nostalgia goggles.

Before the Wii U, I primarily owned Nintendo consoles for Pokemon games. The only games I played on the N64 when it was new was Hey You, Pikachu! (ugh...), Pokemon Snap, and Pokemon Stadium, for example. I didn't play a 3D Mario game at all until Galaxy on the Wii. Ocarina of Time 3D was my first 3D Zelda in 2011. Fire Emblem: Awakening was my first FE game. Pikmin 3 was my first Pikmin. I didn't play Super Mario World until 2014 or so. You get the point. My trajectory has been very opposite of most of y'all, in that Playstation-branded games were very much my formative gaming experiences, and I've only discovered most of Nintendo's big franchises within the last decade or so.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic