Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 4,441 to 4,460 of 4,464

Pizzamorg

I've been consistently floored by X-Men 97, a vision for what a cartoon can be when it isn't shackled by all the arbitrary rules, censorship and restrictions imposed on them by Networks for the last 40 or so years. It also helps it is adapting some great comics stories and has terrific animation (although the style takes some getting used to). I'd really love to see more properties get this kind of treatment going forwards.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

colonelkilgore

colonelkilgore wrote:

Started Baby Reindeer last night and while it is very good, I can’t remember ever cringing so much when watching anything. Not because of anything negative in relation to the show itself but due to the actions of the two main characters. I honestly can’t remember the last time I had to watch something through the gaps between my fingers as I covered my eyes. 🫣

Watched another couple of eps last night (so 4 eps in now) and wow is this show dark! It’s really good but it can be a hard old watch like.

**** DLC!

CJD87

@colonelkilgore I am part way through episode 4 and... just wow.

This show is utterly captivating, but not an easy watch by any stretch. I'm very keen to read some of the write-ups and post-show analyses - but daren't risk spoilers!

The lead actors are both great, doing a terrific job of invoking sympathy whilst still being utterly awful at times!

CJD87

colonelkilgore

@CJD87 ikr it’s really got its hooks in me but I just sit there squirming for the duration of each episode. I haven’t seen Gadd in anything before (apparently the show is loosely based on true events from his life) but I have seen Jessica Gunning in Pride and The Outlaws and she’s always amazing to be fair.

Glad someone else has given this show a go… a very unique experience.

sent from my i-phone 😉

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

CJD87

@colonelkilgore I would massively hesitate in recommending this show to others, definitely 'not for everyone' in terms of universal appeal.... but it is really gripping me. I have 2 episodes left, and feel like it is headed for a very tense finale.

I love how Martha is actually more devious & intelligent then she seems at first glance - she's definitely FromSoft Final Boss material ha.

Enjoy, will loop back after finale

CJD87

colonelkilgore

@CJD87 we finished it last night and… I found the last couple of episodes a little bit of a let down tbh. Just seemed to lose the momentum and intensity of the previous six. Still a more than decent and interesting curio though.

**** DLC!

XandertheWise

watched the last couple episodes of Tosh.0 Season 10 on Paramount.

starting this weekend or next week I'm watching Season 11 of Tosh.0

cant believe I missed out on seasons 10-12 of the show a few years ago when it was on Comedy Central

Now I cant get Quake the Tub out of my head lol

XandertheWise

CJD87

@colonelkilgore
Finished it last night - and similar to yourself... mixed feelings!

***SPOILERS- BABY REINDEER***
I absolutely loved the scene of Donny's breakdown during the finale of his comedy circuit, and thought the actor did a tremendous job in letting loose with all his pent-up sadness/anger/shame. Genuinely such a moving performance, and it was a delight to then see the video go viral - and his public display of pain serve as a catalyst to spring-board his career. A great moment.
I also enjoyed the final scene, with Donny in the bar being given the 'free drink' - and experiencing the same act of kindness as he bestowed upon Martha in episode 1.

However, it was more the elements between those 2 scenes I wasn't keen on. I was hoping for a more spectacular showdown between Donny/Martha... but it seemed to fizzle out a bit. I also hated seeing Donny return to his abuser, unclear as to whether he was seeking genine closure or just so damaged that he wanted to 'repeat the abuse loop'.

All in all though, it was a terrific show albeit an uneasy watch. I enjoyed watching something a bit more hard-hitting though, with my last 2 shows being The Gentlemen and Fallout (both fantastic, but neither can hit the raw emotional beats of Baby Reindeer)

CJD87

BearsEatBeets

I've not got around to watching Fallout yet but discovered today the actress who plays Lucy also played Jinx in Arcane. Seems like Ella Purnell knows a decent videogame adaption when she sees one.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Pizzamorg

For the last few years when the NFL season is over, I have been replacing it with WWE, as the timing usually falls in place for me to check out Wrestlemania. Then post 'Mania I tend to resub to the Network and go through the back catalogue of stuff from when I was away, and sometimes further back. Outside of a bunch of TV and NXT stuff, in terms of PLEs I've now seen Clash of the Castle from 2022 and MITB from 2023, as both happened to take place in the UK.

With hindsight in mind, Clash of the Castle is a really interesting show. I feel like usually when the WWE does a show outside of the states it is all fairly throwaway, but there is a lot of story development in this show, and a lot of stories that paid off at this Mania can be followed back to CATC being the nexus of those stories.

In terms of the wrestling, I wouldn't say this was a great show overall, but I thought the main event (outside of the cringe Tyson Fury pandering stuff) and the IC Title matches really delivered. The crowd was red hot too, which really elevated everything.

McIntyre doing everything he could to not be consumed by the emotion of it all. Reigns chewing the scenery as the excellent heel he is. And the commentators doing such an excellent job of planting the seeds ready for the finish. And all of this would also play into the climax Reign's story here at this year's Mania.

Sheamus and Gunther stole the show here though, rarely do we get to see a match like that in a main roster WWE ring. And if you watch one thing from this show, this is absolutely it. Sheamus is very much one of those wrestlers who I never really appreciated growing up, I just thought he was kinda boring, but I guess because of how long he has been there, WWE just seem to let him work a little snugger than many wrestlers are allowed to on the main roster and so when you want a proper fight, Sheamus will bring it.

I thought 2023's MITB was a better overall show, though. Although weirdly I thought the ladder matches were the weakest part of it. I just don't really care for hardcore adjacent matches in a PG wrestling product. If a person is gonna be battered with weapons, I want to see blood. Call me old fashioned, but I like what I like. Once again, the BritWres crowd brought it. I thought the IC and Heavyweight title matches were both solid. Especially as both were really less about the matches and more about the angles they were setting up for future. And again, I just thought the main event was absolutely terrific. I liked Reigns as a face, but I love him as a heel. He is just so damn good. And I just feel like WWE has put more care and effort into the writing around the Bloodline than basically anything for like two decades (outside of NXT stuff) and it really pays off.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

nessisonett

Shōgun’s episode 9 has me floored. Very, very good television. Also binged Peacemaker after having enjoyed returning to The Suicide Squad, did not have any right being that good. One of those ideas that sound sh*te on paper but comes together really well.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett we started watching Shogun yesterday funnily enough, great show. Probably the best show I’ve seen in a long time… and I’ve watched some bangers of late.

**** DLC!

FuriousMachine

@nessisonett @colonelkilgore Fantastic show and I think Anna Sawai is swimming in offers right now. Powerhouse performance. She was on Colbert's show recently and she seems incredibly sweet and charming as well.
(she, along with Takehiro Hira, who plays Ishido, also recently appeared in Monarch - Legacy of Monsters on Apple TV+ as well, which is also a good watch if you like the "Monsterverse" movies)

FuriousMachine

colonelkilgore

@FuriousMachine there are a few incredible female performances tbh, with Moeka Hoshi and Fumi Nokaido similarly blowing me away.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@FuriousMachine If she doesn’t win awards then she’s been robbed. Easily the best performance in a show with lots of great performances.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

XandertheWise

just started binge watching the first 3 episodes of Justice League Season 1 on Netflix last night. forgot how good the show was but Superman is kind of a wimp where he gets beat by getting shocked by electrical blasts etc. While Batman and Jon Stewart Green Lantern do a better job at taking down the invading Imperium alien bad guys

XandertheWise

JohnnyShoulder

Just seen episode 6 of Fallout 🫨

They have the feel of the games bang on. Like the creepy, unsettling feeling when in some of the vaults. The one where everyone was called Gary was particularly disturbing.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FuriousMachine

@nessisonett 100% agree. Come award season, I think there will be many nominations and, hopefully, many wins.

@colonelkilgore Absolutely! Fujiko was one of my favourite characters in the book and Moeka Hoshi portrays her beautifully. I loved that they included her scene with Omi and Blackthorne's guns, which shows so much of her character and loyalty to her role in Blackthorne's household, even though she despises it (and him). She is a bit more prominent in the book and it shows more how she and Blackthorne grows to both accept, respect and maybe even like each other as they learn to know one another. I guess they placed her a little bit more in the background in the series in order to not distract from Mariko and her relationship with Blackthorne, which was a good call.

FuriousMachine

Zuljaras

Just finished Shogun. It was amazing.

I know it from the novel and 80s series, but this modern interpretation was so well made. I hope it wins many awards!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic