Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 4,001 to 4,020 of 4,400

PegasusActual93

I just had thought, considering what happened in this weeks episode of Succession and the response it got and it being HBO and all, I wonder if we will get the same reactions when season 2 of Last of Us eventually airs. Will a certain characters inevitable death there be better received by the viewers who don't know the source material than it was in the game?

Edited on by PegasusActual93

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

LN78

@PegasusActual93 "Succession" might not be the best yardstick in regards to "TLoU" Season 2- but I think the red wedding episode of "Game of Thrones" might be. There you had a similar situation where the book readers were way ahead of the people who had only watched the show and knew exactly what was in store for the Starks.

LN78

PegasusActual93

@LN78
Succession is a better comparison to me because with GOT you have so many plot lines and such a large cast that I have always argued that show doesn't even have an actual main character. With Succession and TLOU it's a much more intimate plot where you spend a lot more screen time with a much more limited cast so having one of them killed off will hit a lot harder.

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

LN78

@PegasusActual93 Fair point. I'd just cite the penultimate episode of Season 1 of "GoT" instead.😉.

LN78

LtSarge

Well that's the end of The Walking Dead. Just finished watching season 11. Honestly, it didn't end as I hoped it would but it was still a good ending nonetheless. I really liked that they showed so many scenes from earlier seasons in the episodes leading to the final one as well as in the season finale. They hit me hard. I've watched this show since I was in upper secondary school and it's crazy just how much has happened and that we have reached the end now. What a fantastic show. It's no secret that it suffered from being very formulaic but it exceeded in so many aspects such as characters, plot twists and so on.

I am glad though that it's finally over. They could've honestly continued for all eternity with the same formula but they ended on a high note. And it's not like there's not more Walking Dead. I still have Fear the Walking Dead to watch. But that won't be for quite some time. Anyway, great show and truly the end of an era.

On a side note: I was looking through the list of actors on The Walking Dead and noticed something. The actors who play Maggie and Negan in The Walking Dead played Martha Wayne and Thomas Wayne respectively in the 2016 movie Batman vs Superman. That's absolutely hilarious lol.

LtSarge

zupertramp

@LtSarge yeah I remember watching BvS not that long after y'know... that death and seeing Maggie and Negan as husband and wife was just jarring.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

So I just finished Book of Boba Fett and all I can really do is walk away in complete bewilderment at the existence of Robert Rodriguez' career. I just don't get it. He's objectively bad by just about any measure. His movies don't do that well. Commercially or critically. He never really gets brought up in conversation amongst great auteurs. He's like such a campy cheesy hack. Like I wanna like him too because he's from Texas and it's like hey awesome, represent but man his work is terrible.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

PegasusActual93

@zupertramp
Rodriguez is a very competent director in terms of actually directing a scene. He did Desperado, and From Dusk Till Dawn which are both enjoyable. He also did the Spy Kids movies (quality of those are more debatable but like Shrek you can't deny their popularity with Gen Z) and it works well when he is given actual good material to work with. That's likely the reason he still gets work because he gets stuff reliably done on time and on budget.

zupertramp

@PegasusActual93 yeah I mean I guess this is all subjective but my opinion is he has one good hit, From Dusk Till Dawn. That's literally the only watchable thing I can think of by him. Like my kids watched spy kids and shark boy growing up but at no point have they been memorable childhood defining movies for them. They mostly just look back in embarrassment at ever having seen them now. Because, even for kids movies they're really bad.

And Boba Fett was maybe just not that great but the episodes he directs are definitely low points.

LN78

@zupertramp He definitely hitched himself onto the Tarantino bandwagon, but his first movie "El Marachi" is up there with "Clerks" and "The Evil Dead" in the zero budget masterpiece stakes. The "Desperado" that @PegasusActual93 mentioned is a studio backed sequel/remake very much in the tradition of "Evil Dead 2".

Edited on by LN78

LN78

PegasusActual93

@LN78
Still blows my mind the first Evil Dead was made for basically no money and was directed by a guy that wasn't even old enough to drink yet.

zupertramp

@LN78 yeah I'd forgotten El Mariachi gets quite a bit of critical acclaim. so there is that one (which I still maintain is a terrible movie) but the rest are either fairly middling or down right abysmal. Is there a director with a similar track record? And yet for some reason I just can't get anyone on board with the idea that maybe the guy making Machete Kills in Space isn't to be taken seriously. Smh.

Edited on by zupertramp

XandertheWise

finally watching the last episode of season 4 of Stranger Things. season 4 was decent but it dragged on too damn long with the whole side story of kung fu murray and Gladiator Hopper in Russia

XandertheWise

QualityGeezer

Started watching Vikings again, think its top 3 for me

QualityGeezer

HallowMoonshadow

I've been watching 3rd Rock From The Sun. Never saw it before back in the day or anything but the entire lot is available on All 4 (A free streaming service with ads for any readers outside the UK).

... It's been an absolute hoot.

I've never seen the actors Kristen Johnston or French Stewart before (as Sally and Harry Solomon respectively) but they're an absolute blast and alongside John Lithgow and a very young Joseph Gorden Levitt who round out the Solomon family. A group of Aliens in disguise as humans, sent to observe Earth.

All the cast in fact has been rather wonderful in their roles.

I uhh... May have already binged my way through to season 4 as well... 👀

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@HallowMoonshadow That’s a throwback, used to watch reruns of that when I was a kid. Think it was even on Channel 5 of all things!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

... I don't think I've thought about Channel 5 for about 15 years @nessisonett

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@HallowMoonshadow They transmit almost total garbage and have done since about 2000 but Dalgliesh came back last week and is honestly one of the better murder mystery ones.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

Finished watching season 8 of The Flash yesterday. Decent season all around but just like with most CW shows that have gone on for too long, the show's starting to run out of ideas at this point. It's crazy to me how they're still going with 20 episodes per season.

I also finished watching season 1 of Wednesday. Had no idea about this show until I saw it on Netflix the other day and was pleasantly surprised. I grew up with the Addam's Family cartoon as a kid so I was instantly hooked by this show. Unfortunately, we didn't see much of the family at once but I still enjoyed the focus on Wednesday and the school setting. This was definitely a breath of fresh air in terms of Netflix shows as I've been longing for something new and refreshing to watch on the service. Very good stuff.

LtSarge

XandertheWise

finished up on watching season 1 of Fringe on Freevee.

Forgot how great the show was years ago when it was on ABC or Fox.

the actress that starred as Astrid she was pretty cute

XandertheWise

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic