Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,981 to 4,000 of 4,463

LtSarge

@zupertramp I'm honestly completely the opposite. I really like Negan as a character. He is the most memorable villain in the entire show and a great villain in general. The bat is absolutely iconic, the whistling is scary as hell once you recognise it and that smile is just pure evil.

I'm also glad that they didn't kill him, for two reasons. One, they spent so much time on developing his character, so it's nice to see him sticking around. Second, it's refreshing to not kill a villain for once.

Even though I didn't like the filler episodes, the only one I cared about was the Daryl episode. Then they focused on other characters like Gabriel and I completely lost interest. Why make an entire episode about this character? Such a weird choice.

I've watched the first two episodes of season 11 and I'm quite split about the season so far. Will have to see how I feel about it later on.

LtSarge

zupertramp

@LtSarge yeah, as regards Negan he's not a bad villain, or wasn't. And even though the Governor kinda already did the whistling thing I guess it's a good schtick for The Saviors. But when he's not a villain anymore it's really not as fun. But I also like that he wasn't killed. Only that's more about the message it sent than wanting to see him woven so constantly into future story lines.

And lol, I don't think I could have sat through an entire Gabriel centered episode. So we're in agreement that's a bizarre choice. But I also felt the same about Morgan. I just couldn't be bothered to care. But that's probably me being in the minority again.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

Succession. Wow.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett Spoiled left, right and centre. Hopefully I'll have forgotten about it by the time it comes out on disc.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Bound to happen. I was spoiled by the time it was 9PM because it had already aired in the States.

PegasusActual93

@nessisonett
I was lucky enough not to have last nights episode spoiled, what a curveball! Not to mention the writing and acting was top notch with the way they handled it, made it all uncomfortably realistic.

Edited on by PegasusActual93

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

CJD87

@nessisonett Gutted for you. I was fortunate enough to go in spoiler-free, but probably only due to living like a hermit (no online) until watching!

I think it is pretty rough for newspapers / articles to put blatent spoilers in their headlines. I understand recaps and reviews being "a thing", but at least give people the agency to click & read at their own peril... instead of putting up the equivalent of a giant neon flashing sign rife with spoilers.

CJD87

nessisonett

@CJD87 Apparently Larry David was the code used by the writers to refer to Logan Dies so clearly it was kept under wraps internally too!

LN78

@nessisonett Well the Daily Mail has the spoiler on a banner right across tomorrow's front page. I just saw it on the BBC News website. Incredible.

LN78

CJD87

@LN78 @nessisonett - Genuinely really aggrieves me! I have some friends who prefer to wait until the entire series has aired, and then binge the 10 episodes in a couple of days.

God knows how they'll manage to avoid spoilers for the next couple of months, when papers/articles are broadcasting key plot elements in less than 12 hours from an episode airing.

People have lives, and other priorities... I feel like there is a gun to my head each week to try and watch each new episode ASAP.

Such a shame, because this show sits comfortably in my top 5 of all time.

Side note - I really think the actor who plays Roman has stepped up phenomenally this season. Such a remarkable performance!

CJD87

LN78

@CJD87 It's pretty annoying because I'm definitely one of those people who prefers to wait for a physical release and then binge - I haven't even seen "The Last of Us" yet!

LN78

CJD87

@LN78 TLoU is pretty decent tbf - and Pedro / Bella really sold me as Joel & Ellie. It doesn't quite get everything right, and there are some strange issues with narrative pacing, but overall is does a great balancing act in appeasing fans of the game whilst also being palatable for those who are 'going in cold'.

In that sense I think it is a remarkable achievement. I watched it, as a big fan of the game, but my Dad also enjoyed it.... and he had never heard of the IP at all.

I suspect that the commercial success of both TLoU and also the Mario Movie will mean that video-game adaptations will keep coming!

CJD87

LN78

@CJD87 I'm looking forward to it - the 4K isn't out until July so still a while to wait. I've been watching the new season of "Picard" from week to week (having fully expected to tune out in disgust after a couple of episodes) and I'd forgotten how much the wait between episodes could be counterproductive in terms of maintaining dramatic impetus. Have you seen "Arcane"? That's another fantastic videogame adaptation that comes highly recommended.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

zupertramp

@LN78 @CJD87 Arcane is absolutely phenomenal but I don't think it gets much praise as a video game adaptation since everything in the series is, from what I understand, completely novel and separate from anything going on in the game. Or at least, that's what I've heard as I know nothing about League of Legends. In any case I'm not even a huge fan of animation but I loved Arcane and eagerly await the second season.

Anyone watched Beef? Just finished it last night and man, I don't even know how I feel about it honestly. It's A24 so I should have expected it to go in unusual directions but idk, for a show that had consistently great episodes I'm not sure the whole reflects how good it is along the way. It's like I'm left still deciding or something.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

LN78

@zupertramp I didn't know that about "Arcane" -just that it was based on "League of Legends" which is a game I've never played. From what I understand, Season 2 isn't going to be ready until next year! Oh well - quality takes time.

LN78

zupertramp

@LN78 lol I actually try not to even think about the show because the next season is just so far away. It's a similar situation with Severance and Winning Time. But I've got Yellowjackets for awhile and a considerable backlog of films so I'm content. I also really really need to finish Atlanta.

So I take it you did tune out in disgust on Picard?

CJD87

@LN78 There was actually a great article published in the Guardian today, regarding 'Spoiler-etiquette' that directly references the Daily Mail's decision to overtly showcase major plot points: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/apr/12/spoiler-... **DISCLAIMER - Obviously contains Succession spoilers!**

re. Arcane, really glad you hold it in high regard as I coincidentally added it to my Netflix watchlist just yesterday! Hoping to start it next week, but I hear consistently good things about it.

@zupertramp I really loved Severance, and it completely blew me away vs. my initial expectations! That ending... wow, I am incredibly hungry for more. I'm also keen to catch season 2 of YellowJackets, but am waiting for it to be available on NowTV (likely when season concludes it will happen)

CJD87

LN78

@zupertramp I've watched every episode of Season 3 so far. It's not bad - which is to say about a zillion times better than the first two appalling seasons.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

PegasusActual93

I just had thought, considering what happened in this weeks episode of Succession and the response it got and it being HBO and all, I wonder if we will get the same reactions when season 2 of Last of Us eventually airs. Will a certain characters inevitable death there be better received by the viewers who don't know the source material than it was in the game?

Edited on by PegasusActual93

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic