Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,661 to 2,680 of 4,398

MightyDemon82

@RogerRoger I signed up to a 6 month free trial of Apple t.v. through my PS5 at the weekend. I"ll definitely be checking out Ted Lasso and Foundation, You should have a look I'm not sure how long they are running that offer but I was quite happy to sign up free until April.

MightyDemon82

JohnnyShoulder

@MightyDemon82 Think I'll be using that offer soon as there are a few shows I am interested in. I wanna watch See with Jason Momoa as a review I read has piqued my interest.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@MightyDemon82 Thanks for the heads-up! Hadn't seen that offer, will take a look!

Hope you enjoy those shows!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

MightyDemon82

@JohnnyShoulder I might dive into Foundation tonight after the wife and I watch the last episode of Midnight Mass which we are both really enjoying. Will have to look that one up but he's in everything these days!

@RogerRoger your welcome, hope you find something that piques your interest if you do sign up.

MightyDemon82

JohnnyShoulder

@MightyDemon82 I'm not even his biggest fan or anything like that, but he was the only name I remembered being in it!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

LtSarge

Just finished watching all seasons of Supergirl up to the most recent episode in season 6. Apparently the show is getting weekly episodes on HBO so I'm still going to follow it from here on out.

As a whole, this show is decent enough. My main issue with it is that most episodes just feel so underwhelming. Each episode is 40 minutes long and on average, 30 of those minutes are spent on talking, self-pitying and sappy moments, while the other 10 is spent on action. Which would've been fine in the beginning of the show, but when you've watched over 100 episodes and then you hear "It was my fault, I should've been more careful" you're like: "Oh here we go again for the umpteenth time". It's just so tiring at that point to constantly have these moments. It would've been fine if it was balanced out with more stuff happening or just more action in general, but even the episodes that have more action than usual are just riddled with sappy moments. It doesn't help that they keep reusing the same writing over and over again. I cannot count how many times the characters have said "We're going to be fine" and "We can take care of ourselves". Every time they say that, something bad always happens. I even remember one episode where one of the characters said that and literally five minutes later, everyone was dead, lol (don't worry, it's not a spoiler). But yeah, they seriously need to improve the writing for this show so that we stop having these repetitive moments.

Another issue I have with the show is that a lot of characters simply leave and some don't even get an explanation for why they don't show up anymore. Like I could be watching one season and then suddenly realise: "Holy crap, I've completely forgotten about that character! Why aren't they in the show anymore?". They didn't say goodbye or anything, the show writers just stopped including them spontaneously.

Anyway, I do feel like season 6 has been rather good so far. The introduction of Super Friends is really cool, it's awesome to see so many superheroes working together at once. My favourite season so far though has definitely been season 4 where the main theme was hate against aliens. It's supposed to reflect actual racism and how a lot of humans who lost their homes due to aliens want them to be stripped off their rights and deported to their own planets. I thought the subject was really interesting and well-executed while still making it fit with the show's overall narrative. There were also a lot of memorable villains in this season. On the other hand, season 5 was a letdown, but at least season 6 is on the right track.

All in all, I sadly can't recommend this show if you aren't into superhero stuff because it simply gets so repetitive and tiring to watch after each season. I'm still enjoying it because it is a rather chill show to watch, but if it weren't for the superhero stuff I would've checked out a long time ago.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Tasuki

@LtSarge The problem with Supergirl and all the other Arrowverse shows is that they require you to watch all the shows to know what's going on. I can understand why they are doing what they did having a huge cinematic universe works well for the movies it should work for TV shows right?? Problem is movies aren't 20 episodes long of several seasons. That's what happened to alot of the characters disappearing they did so in the big crossover episodes and on the other shows which if you only watch one show you aren't going to know what happened.

That's one reason I stopped watching the Arrowverse shows. When it was just Arrow, Flash and Supergirl it wasn't bad but then they added DC Legends, and Batwoman and I just couldn't keep up due to work, family and just not wanting to devote all my free time to watching one group of shows. But to understand what's going on in each show you need to follow them all.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

LtSarge

@Tasuki Well, the crossover episodes are one thing. But I'm talking about when a new season starts and all of a sudden, certain characters who used to show up a lot suddenly don't exist anymore. I'm going to write some examples but keep in mind that there will be spoilers for stuff that happen in the later seasons if you haven't watched them yet.

First example is Maxwell Lord from the first season. He had a pretty huge part in the narrative of this season but in season 2, he stops showing up for some reason. No explanation was given for why. Same with Kara's boss in season 2, that bald guy named Snapper I think. And then we have Wyn's girlfriend Lyra the blonde alien who started helping out Guardian with crime-fighting. Once again, she suddenly stopped showing up. Like there are so many characters who just stop showing up without any explanation.

The worst part of this show is that they've gotten rid of important characters like Wyn and Jimmy Olsen. I still can't believe it, that would be like if they got rid of Diggle and Felicity in Arrow, or Cisco and Caitlin in The Flash. These are huge characters and they just got rid of them, it's so bizarre.

LtSarge

HallowMoonshadow

I'd watched season 1 before I've started watching Netflix's Castlevania series getting up to 4 episodes in of season 2 (which I haven't seen before) and I've been really enjoying it.

There's actually quite a bit of downtime between action and a LOT talking between characters... But it's rather well written and there's some nice character development on both sides.

Goddamnit I'm gonna miss Peter Stormare though. He was fun as he always is in a role. GODDDDDBRAAAND!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah Castlevania is ace but didn't have a clue what was going on sometimes! 🤣 I really enjoyed Trevor and Sypha's banter, but my favourite character was Saint Germain as thought his story was the strongest.

Tasuki

@LtSarge I know with Maxwell Lord and Kat (Kara's boss) them disappearing had to do with the show switching Networks and filming locations. The first season of Supergirl was on CBS here in the states because CW passed on it originally which is why they don't mention the Arrowverse at all in season one. After season 1 they moved it to the CW to include it into the Arrowverse. However when CW took it over they moved production to Canada (the first season was filmed in LA) where all the other shows were filmed. Calista Flockhart (Kat) is afraid of flying so she left after season one. However the only person she will allow to fly her is her husband Harrison Ford. So for season two she had him fly her out there and then shot all her scenes in one weekend.

As for the guy who played Maxwell Lord he didn't want to go all the way to Canada because he wanted to keep.himself open for other projects.

As for the others, who knows but for Jimmy and Wynn it could have been that their contracts are up and they just wanted to move on.

Didn't they end the show?? I thought I read somewhere that they did.

My Backlog

LtSarge

@Tasuki Ah well that makes sense then, thanks for the explanation! I don't really keep up with the actors, I just thought it was weird that they didn't come up with a reason for them to leave besides Cat Grant since she did actually have a reason.

Oh yeah, you're right. I just looked it up and apparently, the sixth season is the final one for the show. Didn't know that, but it makes sense when you look at the statistics. According to the Wikipedia page, viewership for the show has been on a steady decline ever since the first season. Season 6 episodes can't even break one million viewers in the U.S.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Supergirl_episodes#Seas...

This honestly doesn't surprise me, the show just doesn't have a lot of exciting things going on, there's way too much talking and repetitive writing. People are definitely getting tired of it at this point. It's sad though because season 6 was actually getting good with the whole Super Friends aspect, but I can definitely see why they want to end it.

The golden age of CW superhero shows is slowly coming to an end. First Arrow and now Supergirl. Wouldn't surprise me if The Flash is going to end soon as well.

LtSarge

Tasuki

@LtSarge Honestly Supergirl was doomed from the start. Originally they wanted to do a Superman series for the Arrowverse but WB wouldn't let the creators use any characters that were going to be in the DC Movie universe which is why Gotham never had Batman and the CW shows got Arrow, Batwoman, DC Legends all lesser known characters and why they created Lex Luthor's sister. So instead CW got Supergirl. Since the DC Movie Universe for all intense and purpose is scrapped now they created the new show and Supergirl spinoff Lois and Superman.

But yeah Supergirl to me just felt like they didn't really know what to with it.

My Backlog

mookysam

I’ve been watching Castlevania at the weekends @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy and am now partway through the third series. I’m enjoying it a lot, too, and am very impressed so far. It also helps that it doesn’t seem to follow the stories of the games, not that the games have much story.

Carmilla is hilarious. I love the almost mocking tone she uses, as though she takes great pleasure in being horrid without ever needing to raise her voice.

@RogerRoger @Th3solution Apple TV has some surprisingly great shows, but does a terrible job of pushing the service. I went most of my year-long trial without ever touching it, and I imagine it’s the same for most people. Ted Lasso and Trying are my favourites so far. I think part of the reason for expanding to streaming TV and other services is that iPhone sales are slowing as a result of people holding on to their devices for longer.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Voltan

I have've had Apple TV for a little over a year (free with a new iPhone + now with PS5) and honestly I haven't used it much but Ted Lasso is nice, Mythic Quest is ok and I also liked the 1st season of See with Jason Momoa (haven't seen the 2nd one yet)

Voltan

LtSarge

@Tasuki I honestly thought that CW just wanted to explore the lesser known DC characters, which is why they went with Supergirl and Batwoman rather than Superman and Batman. Kinda like the Marvel shows on Netflix such as Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, all these characters that haven't really been shown a lot in modern media. But they did at least include Superman and later on Lex Luthor in Supergirl, which is nice. I'm definitely interested in checking out the spinoff show Superman and Lois.

But yeah, I agree with you. There's just no clear focus in most of the seasons of Supergirl and a lot of the villains are so forgettable.

LtSarge

Tasuki

@LtSarge Yeah once WB realized that the Arrowverse shows were doing alot better then the movies they loosed up the reigns so to speak and decide to allow the other characters to be used.

My Backlog

RogerRoger

@mookysam @Voltan Thanks for your input, folks. It's interesting to see more people with regular, unfettered access to the service admitting that they barely ever use it.

Which is a shame, as Ted Lasso really was good. I kinda miss that show already!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Voltan

@RogerRoger Tbf I don't watch much TV in general and I also have Netflix and HBO GO, both gettin about as much use. Maybe slightly more for Netflix

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

RogerRoger

@Voltan Ah. I take it all back, then.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic