Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,201 to 2,220 of 4,449

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Love that show. Not too sure on the American version on Prime. It's still good TV but there is something missing from it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ralphdibny

@Gremio108 never seen it but just looked it up. Certainly looks quite interesting! The wiki mentions BSE epidemic being one of the predicted events come true before the start of the show. I remember that and it's odd to think how different it is to today. I mainly remember my mum always asking "Has that got beef in it?" every time we would eat out or at somebody's house. I also remember suddenly not being able to eat curly wurlys because they had gelatin in them 😭😂

@RogerRoger haha I think I only notice the names because I watch stuff with the subtitles on. I normally watch late at night so I have to have the speakers on a lower volume. I can still hear the dialogue, sound effects and music but it saves me having to rewind if there's a bit of dialogue that's just a bit too quiet. Sucks when they are on Kamino though because you can't read the white subtitles against the white backdrops of their building interiors haha.

That Divo guy just made me laugh though, I wouldn't say he was particularly meme worthy. Doge Urus is a sebulba type character, I think they are called Dugs and Doge is the title of their leader - I could only find one meme for him. I only really heard of the Stonks meme in the last year or so, my meme knowledge is vastly outdated, like early noughties outdated but yeah, there are quite a few Senator Stonks memes that combine the character with the well known (but not to me lol) meme!

I haven't read any of the books or anything, I've only played like Dark Forces 1&2 (not all the way through) and some of the GameCube games and obviously EP 1: Racer which we discussed before. I've dipped into the film to game adaptations too but not for very long, normally it was like having a go at a friend's house or something. I think when I was like 14/15/16 years old, I had a Saturday job at a repair shop. I was the only one there and I just took stuff in for repair and gave stuff back to customers, but yeah it wasn't very busy so I'd spend most of the days on Wikipedia reading random fictional histories. I learned a lot about Marvel comics in that time too, weirdly due to nature of retcons in comics, most of that info was outdated not too long after!

Oh yeah I forgot about the spider episode in Mando! I remember thinking of you when I saw that episode, I hope it didn't spoil it for you!

I just looked up the Ion Engine, both the real and fictional ones. They look largely similar and the star wars one is used for sublight travel as well anyway. I don't think I'd exactly say I think us harnessing faster than light travel is likely. Especially as we haven't discovered anything that would allow the currently theorised methods. I just find the prospect exciting even if the real world probability is slightly deflating. We need alien contact soon though lol, it would definitely either solve or distract us from the world's problems. A negative first contact would remind us all what we are striving for and I think show us what really matters and what perceptions it might be easier for us to let go of. I'd hope a positive first contact would do the same from showing us an example and hopefully giving us the technology to move forward instead of miring in the status quo with the drip feed of technological advancements designed to liberate us of our money over time. Stagnation gives humanity too much time to think which is good to an extent but I perhaps think that we are overthinking things now which in my experience is never a healthy thing to do.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder @ralphdibny I've not seen it for years but it was on my mind because I was talking about it with a friend the other day. I've never seen the American version, in fact I forgot all about that.

Remember those gelatin snakes that came in a little plastic packet, backed with cardboard? If you believed the kids round my neck of the woods, those things were practically a guaranteed BSE parcel.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Me and my mate at work were kinda obsessed with Utopia and would have a weekly discussion about what happened that week and our theories about what will happen in future episodes.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jackpaza0508

I've started watching Arrested Development this week and I just wanna say that it's really damn funny! I've heard that you should drop off at season 4 and 5 because there's a drop in quality but idk

Edited on by Jackpaza0508

He/Him

ralphdibny

@Gremio108 ahh I remember the really long snakes that had like a foam belly and a gummy top but not in packets. They were in the more expensive section of the penny sweet aisle - the 10p row at the bottom. It's so grim thinking about that now, all the other kids having their mitts in the dispensers, not to mention when customers bring their dogs in and the bottom row gets slobbered on! 😅

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Gummy Snakes vs Jumbo Cola Bottles is a debate which will rage forever more.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Gremio108

@ralphdibny Those were great! The ones I'm thinking of were horrendous. Come to think, they might not have been snakes, but any shape really, usually a character from a TV show I think. They were everywhere in the early to mid nineties and came in a little packet. They were basically a little wobbly dose of gelatine. Mmmm

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Bubblegum bottles are like crack. Yum yum yum.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@Gremio108 @nessisonett this is a random memory but I went to Chessington world of adventures as a kid, possibly teenager. For some reason there was a Samantha Mumba concert there where they threw out packets of Butt Ugly Martians sweets from the stage. There were so many and we left the park with bags full of sweets that lasted us for months

See ya!

Thrillho

Those Postman Pat penny sweets were always weird ones but am essential part of the newsagent pic ‘n’ mix.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny The conversation's moved on, but I just wanted to say thanks for your concern regarding the spiders featured in Mando. I was nervous going in, but okay with them by the time the credits rolled (although it was far from my favourite episode).

I'll have to look up this Utopia show, given some of the praise I'm seeing.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger no problemo! There's only so much we can talk about papa Palps and the fringe science of deep space travel anyway

Did you see that aparrently the original Clone Wars series is coming to Disney plus soon? I think it was made by the person who made Dexter's lab

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Oh, the Genndy Tartakovsky series? I could give that another look-see, I suppose. Thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't impressed with it back in the day, but that's probably because I tried to binge the entire thing in one sitting. It might work better in short chunks via streaming.

I'm gearing up for The Bad Batch being released on Star Wars Day (and the Republic Commando remaster coming in a couple weeks will help) but I'm spinning so many entertainment plates right now, so my downtime feels quite pressured. I just had to storm through ten episodes of The X-Files before going to visit my partner tomorrow, because he watched ahead during my extended absence, and then I need to fit WandaVision in somewhere soon, as well. And then I wanna start The Americans before it inevitably disappears from Amazon Prime. Thank goodness I cancelled my Netflix subscription; there really is an overwhelming amount of content out there nowadays.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger The UK version of Utopia was genuinely ahead of its time and a great story as well as having a rather unique style to it. It’s just a shame that it got cancelled after the second series so it never got fully wrapped up.

I’ve not seen anything of the US remake but it sounds like they’ve taken the core parts of the show away to make it more “gritty”.

Thrillho

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger I only vaguely remember the series to be honest. I'm tempted to watch it when it drops but I feel it might affect my viewing of the more recent clone wars show. It's weird though, it sounds like they adapted a lot from that original show into the new one.

Ahh I didn't realised the next star wars series was dropping so soon! Is that another animated one? I might have to ask you to help me with a timeline for the movies/shows when I get closer to the end of clone wars if you don't mind. Along with the movies, I'm going to try and watch the TV shows I've never seen before
(and rewatch Mando) and incorporate the canon games (of which I've only played fallen order before but I also own battlefront 2) and also the first new canon Vader comic that I have which I think is set after episode 4.

I feel the same tbh, with my plan to play as many PS Plus games as I can (Borderlands burned me out), watching clone wars and my recent uptake in exercise, I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I have 3 levels of tiredness - most alert means I can play a game, middle alert means I can watch clone wars and least alert means I have to listen to YouTube podcasts until I fall asleep.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@Thrillho As is so often the case with American remakes, yes. Shame the original got cancelled early, but it certainly sounds like it generated enough goodwill that a future "reunion special" might be on the cards someday, to wrap up those last loose ends.

@ralphdibny For the most part, it was broad strokes only. A lot of executives had doubts about whether an animated Star Wars show would fly, but Hasbro wanted to sell more toys in between the last two prequel movies, so the Tartakovsky series was quietly released as a kinda testbed; when it found an audience and won some awards, George Lucas started laying the foundations for The Clone Wars proper. Its biggest claim to fame is inventing Asajj Ventress, but the whole thing is considered non-canon and its other original characters (like Durge) have long since been forgotten.

Always happy to help so yeah, just ask. The Bad Batch is a direct sequel to The Clone Wars, using the same animation style and focusing on some of the characters left behind, so I'd recommend avoiding it until you're done with your current marathon.

Oh, I hear you. There are days where I really wanna play a game, but I don't have the energy. I just constantly feel like I'm running out of time, all the time. Nightmare!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger ahh fair enough, I thought some of the designs for the characters were lifted too because I've seen some 2D Tartakofsky style drawings with the armour on Google images. Obviously I haven't seen the cartoon in its entirety though so maybe these are fan arts or something so I am probably mistaken!

Cheers! I'm near the end of S2 of clone wars. I think I'll pick up Vader immortal next time it's on sale and squadrons has just been added to game pass so that's a couple extra (I think) canon games to play too

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

I've just watched the first episode of Falcon and Winter soldier, very enjoyable, can't wait for next week's episode!

I'm really glad they brought Batroc the Leaper back! He is one my favourite villains that we haven't seen much of in the movies so far.

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic