Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 4,400

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution I say perfect just because there really isn't anything lacking about it. The new films and a lot of other adaptations, sequels, reboots etc these days are either obvious cynical cash-ins with little merit or just leave me wishing they hadn't bothered. Even some of fan service dialogue and locations in later episodes are handled well enough that it feels like someone behind the camera just enjoys all of this stuff as much as I do, rather than it being some arse with an agenda to sidestep royalty fees or 'subvert my expectations'.

The Mandalorian just works in a way that I wasn't expecting it to. As I say, it feels like it could have come from Timothy Zahn or some of the Dark Horse comics. The new elements are welcome additions and feel like they're in place to fleece me or delude the audience, and the continuity elements sit well in the story and visual language of Star Wars.

I do like a western, and the western in space presentation is a very smart move I think. It lends a nice roaming cadence to the episodes that feel more singular as well just being cool AF! 😂 (and I really miss Firefly)

Also, the art cards at the end of the episodes along with the theme are worth the ride on their own 😁

ALSO(!) 😂 there's a bit in episode 7 that takes a well know but of Star Wars hardware and does something physical with it that I just didn't see coming. It's a tiny, kind of insignificant part of a central shot that just made me smile.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON Yes, the art at the end is fantastic! And as I said in my earlier post, the art design in general is my favorite aspect so far.

I haven’t read much of the extended universe stuff, and I think I was expecting more spectacle, but I can see the value of keeping things simple. It’s a fine line to walk between making the show a big budget extravaganza and keeping it bite sized for consumption by the masses, including the casual and the hardcore. I think I went in expecting the complex character interactions and political intrigue of Game of Thrones or the creative twists and mystery of Stranger Things, when in fact it’s not trying to be either of those. That’s why I say that expectations need to be appropriately tempered. The Mandalorian should not be anticipated by the average TV series consumer to be akin to the high profile TV series that have been pumped out by HBO and Netflix. After watching the first episode I was a little perplexed as to why character interactions weren’t explored more and there was a lot of time spent on the action but you really didn’t have a feel for the “whys” and the “whos” of the narrative. Part of this is the shorter 30-40 minute run times, which necessitate being quick with the transition of events. Part of it also is just the simpler, “spaghetti western” Clint Eastwood flavor of the whole thing. And really, after I accepted that, it was more enjoyable watching the second episode. It is more like the original trilogy (Epi 4-6) and Rogue One in that regard, which is going to be why it is resonating with so many people now. We know that Lucas was highly inspired by Kurosawa and the old Westerns he grew up with so this is a return to form.

I realize that I’m speaking in ignorance since I’m only 1/4 of the way through it. 😅 Perhaps the narrative will become a sophisticated and deep tapestry of branching character arcs and political intrigue by the end. Which at this point, although I was expecting such a thing at first, it might disappoint me if it does become another Netflix-like winding path of perpetual carrot dangling character parade until the inevitable “jumping of the shark” when it has exhausted all novelty. I purposefully have waited to watch it until I could binge on 2-4 episodes at a time, but now with the Christmas hullabaloo, I am having trouble finding a quiet 2 hours to savor it. I don’t want to run the risk of being distracted so I can give it a true fair shake.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

Started watching season 2 of Lost in Space. I thought the first season was excelent and I have very little recollection of the original show. You certainly can't accuse this if being boring or too slow. Not 15 minutes seem to go by without some sort of peril or drama happening.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution
I think the lack of convoluted politicking and intrigue beyond the core character and his story helps it ascend above a lot of current and past shows. The overall story arc elements are there to cement the episodes that are slightly off track - but politicking and 'depth' aren't really things that seems to work when applied to Star Wars live action so far.
I don't need twists or subversion, just a nicely laid out story with a compelling scene to scene production is fine.

@JohnnyShoulder I'd forgotten about that! Quite enjoyed the first season!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

KALofKRYPTON wrote:

• but politicking and 'depth' aren't really things that seems to work when applied to Star Wars live action so far.

@KALofKRYPTON
“So this is how Liberty dies ... with thunderous applause.” 😜

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RR529

I finished up season 2 of Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories the other day on Netflix.

Set in a little hole in the wall eatery in a back street alley in Tokyo, it's an episodic series that follows the various people who stop in to dine (usually the chef's dishes ignite something in them, such as nostalgia, and it has a big impact on whatever is going on in their life), with each episode following a different person.

It's a unique series, and I had given up hope of a second season materializing as I think it had been 3 years or so, but it just popped up one day a couple months ago.

Anyhow, now I've started on The Witcher.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@Th3solution @KALofKRYPTON Thanks for the interesting (and spoiler-free) back-and-forth about The Mandalorian over the past couple days. I'll be keeping both points of view in mind come March; after all, if one is to understand a great show, one must study all its feedback, not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the critics (hey, Sol quoted the prequels, so my shameless paraphrasing is his fault!).

I'm not surprised to hear effusive praise of Dave Filoni, though. Everything he touches turns to Star Wars gold, and with good reason; he was already a huge fan before being mentored by George Lucas, to the point where he's basically all of that same creative genius and imagination, but without any of the obsessive protectiveness all-too-common in original creators, which can drown out much-needed external input. I seriously hope they continue to give Mr. Filoni the freedom to create Star Wars projects, on whatever sized screen he's most comfortable with.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

Not sure it has been mentioned on these pages before, but I know some of you showed interest in the Batman: The Animated Series collection that was released previously. Well the follow up , Batman Beyond: The Complete Series is released in the UK on 30 December 2019.

Untitled

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks for the heads-up! A shame they haven't remastered Return of the Joker to the same quality as the episodes, as it says "DVD" after every mention of it, but I'll still keep an eye on this, methinks. Loved watching through The Animated Series on Blu-Ray, and have heard plenty of good things about Batman Beyond, so I'm curious enough to give this a try.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Yeah shame about Return of the Joker only being on DVD. Still yet to get round to The Animated Series, I've got far too much to watch on all the streaming services. If I were too get it would probably be sitting there gathering dust, and things like that really bug me. I loved that show as a kid, but don't recall Batman Beyond. It may have come at a time I had stopped watching to that stuff. All I know is the things in Arkham Knight, the bits The New 52 Batman rub alludes to and the back of the box!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Here in the UK, I believe Batman Beyond was called Batman of the Future (because if there's one thing we Brits don't do well, it's apparently subtlety) and it was the immediate follow-up to the 1992 animated series, which ran for three years, if I recall. I didn't even know it was a thing until I was much older, when I read a review for its terrible tie-in game on PSone.

Yeah, when I got The Animated Series on Blu-Ray, I had to forcibly neglect Netflix for a month. Mercifully I picked a good month, because nothing new came out. Phew!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Hmmmm, maybe not too long in the distant future when I'm next in the mood for some animated Batman and I've finished some streaming stuff, I'll treat myself to it! There is also a series of Spider-Man which I remember fondly too.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder The only warning is that old cartoons are quite tough to binge, as each episode can be quite samey. Less so near the beginning of The Animated Series, but towards the end, well... hey, they're designed to be watched once a week, by kids. And I can't speak to the consistency of Batman Beyond, but if I do grab it, I'll let you know how it goes.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Oh I tend not to binge watch much anyway, even half hour episodes it will only be 3 or 4 a week. But thanks for the heads up!

JohnnyShoulder

Sky are asking for 3 quid a week to upgrade to HD on NOW TV. No not 4K uhd, 1080p HD. What a ripp off. They seriously need to up their game with Disney+ around the corner.

HallowMoonshadow

I've only watched one episode of The netflix Witcher series so far.

The only thing I can give it is a great big EH personally.

The wig look better but still a bit off and Cavill's eyes don't look right either. The writing is a bit naff too.

Honestly the production as a whole feels rather wonky to me, especially when compared to the Dark Crystal series earlier in the year that was MUCH more polished (Seriously why no second season confirmation for Dark Crystal?!)

Don't love the casting choices either if I'm honest (I've only played the third Witcher and think it's a solid but not an earth shattering title so I don't hold it in the highest light) but... Yeah I'm not liking any of the cast really. Even Cavill (... I don't really rate him as an actor anyway if I'm honest)

I might watch some more but... Ehhhh I'm not not expecting my opinion to change. I'm not gonna bother with the second season at all if I make it any further in the first!

-EDIT- Second episode down and I don't feel any different about it really. Pass for me.

I... did however come across The Mandalorian...

For someone who had considered herself officially done with Star Wars and doesn't like Westerns either really... I weirdly really liked this.

Well I found the first three episodes great. 4th was a plotline I'd seen a million times before and rather dull. 5th was a bit better in my opinion but not as good as the first three episodes. Gonna watch the other three some point soon.

Pedro Pascal was pretty darn good in the lead. Though I'm really not up on my Star Wars knowledge so the whole "he's a Mandalorian" that everyone brings up felt a bit like character shilling (Or whatever the equivalent is) to me.

I think you'll quite like it @RogerRoger

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

Watched the last three episodes of The Mandalorian.

Was pretty good.

... Can't really say anymore cus of all the spoilers! But I think there's a bunch of things that passed me by and easter eggs that fans will get a kick out or understand the significance of more so then me.

The child is adorable though! I'm glad they used a puppet for it and not cgi effects. Even if it goes stiff as a board whenever it's picked up.

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks for the spoiler-free thoughts on The Mandalorian, about which I'm hearing nothing but good things (from fans and casual passers-by alike) so I'll add your praise to my ever-mounting hype levels! Can't wait for March now!

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Wouldn't want you to get too over hyped and not enjoy it @RogerRoger so I'll definitely say again that I thought episodes 4 (definitely so to me), 5 and maybe 6 aren't as good as the rest and this is me being quite causual saying I enjoyed it (Especially being able to binge watch it...)

But to me it was a good time, with some funny moments, good lines, some neat characters and nice set peices even if it's a bit tropey at times and I hope it's everything you want 😁

Ralizah

I want to like The Mandalorian. I've watched the entire season now, and it's... decent? Some poor writing here and there, but it's refreshingly grounded compared to the Disney trilogy.

I think what it's really lacking for me are interesting characters. I don't really care about anyone. It's a polished, frequently gorgeous affair. It looks and sounds right. But the whole experience was a bit hollow for me.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic