Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 901 to 920 of 2,383

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy Spanish league games were still being played the previous week as were Italian league games and the FA cuo. That is just off the top off my slightly drunken head, I don't if other euro leagues were still being played.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder I know Johnny. What I am saying is its wrong from a European wide perspective. The Spanish always finish later and that shouldn't be the case - more symmetry is needed.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy It's only a another week's wait though and it is not just the Spanish league, other countries are still playing? Like I said before I don't really see what the issue is. This will always happen with so many different leagues across Europe to think of. Some countries finished weeks ago some are still playing. Some countries have a winter break, some do not. It is just the way it is. And don't forget some leagues were fudged cos of the world cup last year.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@Frigate Yeah Spurs have Kane, Davinson Sanchez and Jan Vertonghen coming back from injury, and a couple more either ruled out completely or just been passed fit.

BAMozzy

The French League only finished yesterday and both the Scottish (although when was the last time a Scottish team competed in the final - it must be 40yrs or more now) Cup, the Copa Del Rey take place today and of course the Italian League finishes this weekend (tomorrow).

It just so happens that English Clubs have made it through to the finals of both competitions. However if Barcelona and Juventus (for example) had made it through, they would only have a week before the Champion's League Final and if teams like Valencia or AC Milan had reached the Europa Final, they would have had 4days before the final.

Its partly because the English League has no winter breaks despite also having two domestic Cup competitions (although one finishes in February) that gives English clubs a bit of a longer wait to play the European finals. The date and venue of these was set before a ball was kicked in the competition and had to account for teams all over Europe irrespective of when their league and cup competitions finish. Therefore they are only 4days to a week after the French and Italian league finishing and the Scottish & Spanish cup finals too. That is why its so late and also generally why the Summer Transfer window opens in June for the rest of Europe too.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

ApostateMage

@Frigate I might watch it when Sweden play because they're pretty fit...I mean decent...at playing football and stuff. Yeah.

ApostateMage

ApostateMage

It does seem like we've been waiting for frickin' yonks for this CL final.

ApostateMage

Gremio108

@Frigate Yeah I'll be watching it. The women's game is criminally underrated and England have a more-than-decent shot of winning it this year.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

andreoni79

For the first time the italian state tv will broadcast the female world cup so it will have a bigger audience and a chance to gain more followers.

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

BAMozzy

Certainly, Womens football is growing and having more televised matches will help bring it to more peoples attention. Its not surprising that the US has a bigger following as the US ladies team have been successful on the big stage.

Winning the World Cup - at least having a decent run in the competition will help too. The fact its televised will increase the awareness and ultimately raise stadium attendances in the future - at least hopefully. I don't know if its helped the youth game - England at various Age groups had a very successful year but I don't know if that has helped raise awareness, increased attendances etc for the youth sides.

Personally, I have seen more of the Womens game this season/year than ever before and not 'just' UK teams either as I watched some of the Ladies Champions League matches inc the final (Lyon vs Barca). A few years ago, it was 'rare' to see any news, rare to see any matches on TV (not just Terrestrial/free view channels but even Premium TV services like Sky). BT Sport has shown quite a few matches and the BBC have had a regular (weekly) show dedicated too Womens Football.

It does annoy me that some think the Womens game doesn't have the quality of football that you may see in the Championship, or even League 1 but I think its different. You are not likely to see a 6'4" Goalkeeper with big Defenders - not saying its impossible, just unlikely. With time, money, TV coverage to inspire more girls to play from a young age, we should see big improvements. Its the same in the men's game too but they often have an advantage because they start much younger and encouraged more with more opportunity too - such as at school or after-school with friends (if they aren't home playing video games...)

It would be great to see interest grow, see the game grow and see the quality improve. I will be watching the World Cup too...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

themcnoisy

Any Chelsea fans on the forums?

Well played absolutely smashed Arsenal. Poor game for Ozil and both Lacazette and Aubamayang. Some awful misses too.

andreoni79

Being Italian, tonight I just hope for an exciting match. Any Liverpool or Spurs fan here on PSquare?

JohnnyShoulder

@andreoni79 Yup a Liverpool fan here. Just hope for a fair match unlike last year and a good match and not a bore like Wednesdays match. Usual pre match jitters but the alcohol is helping lol. 3-1 Liverpool.

roe

Looks great in HDR on the app. Not 4K which is a bit disappointing but it's still a nice picture.

I'm gonna switch to the YouTube stream though cuz I don't wanna be stuck with Peter Drury and Owen Hargreaves for the next 2 hours..

roe

Thrillho

This match: 💩

Thrillho

themcnoisy

Allison was motm.

andreoni79

@themcnoisy Sure, but only because Liverpool stopped playing after the second goal so he had the chance to show some of his numbers. I'd vote for the blonde invader as MotM: for what I saw, she had numbers too.

Edited on by andreoni79

BAMozzy

YES YES YES!!!!! Come on you REDS!!! A well deserved Trophy for their Season - maybe not the best performance of the season but to overturn a 3-0 deficit against Barca, Score 97 points in the league and still not win, this caps off a great season and whilst Liverpool missed out on being English Champions, the end the season as European Champions!!!

You'll Never Walk Alone!!!!

Thrillho

@Frigate I seem to be cursed when it comes to watching matches live. I've only watched a few this season and one of the others was the 0-0 between Man City and Liverpool.

Still, I wanted Liverpool to win but it really was a dreadful match. It almost felt wrong to be giving anyone a trophy after that.

It really must suck for Spurs fans though as they were the better team on the night and Liverpool really were there for the taking.

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic