Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 2,101 to 2,120 of 2,383

nessisonett

Jota going to Saudi league would be a net loss for football, he’s very clearly a top talent and I’d resigned myself to him going this summer. If he went to a big team I’d be happy, but it’s sheer greed if he ends up playing Sunday league alongside burnt out old men.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KAIRU

Hope Harry Winks finds some success at Leicester. He’s a decent enough player but with the options we have in midfield now he was never going to get regular game time. Seems like Leicester will be a good fit for him.

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

PSN: KairuDoes

Fight_Teza_Fight

@nessisonett It’s a net loss worldwide. They’ve done the same thing in golf, pro wrestling (WWE) & are now aggressively targeting football.

The 2030 World Cup is their aim & there are trying to change perception of what they are.
The PGA is now joining with LIV Golf & the guys that got in on the ground floor made crazy money. Can’t blame them.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

KAIRU

...and that's Gerrard off to Saudi!

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

BAMozzy

@StripedTomato That report is supposedly very much over estimated and expected to be about 25% to a 1/3rd of that. There are reports that the team can't afford to pay LFC a transfer fee and was 'hoping' to negotiate a 'free' transfer but LFC won't let him go 'cheaply' with 2yrs left on his contract.

It seems Fabinho is on his way to Saudi after submitting a '£40m' offer for him - hence he hasn't travelled to Germany but Hendo has. I don't really know what's going on with Hendo but he isn't a 'Starter' anymore. He didn't Start some of the later games as more players returned from injury - although was ahead of Ox, Keita and Milner.

As a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't be 'disappointed' if he was to leave - but I'd also be happy if he stayed at least 1 more season to 'help' the team. Not just on the pitch during matches as 'Captain', but on the Bench, in the Changing rooms and Training grounds. Help Mac Allister and Szoboszlai settle and help the 'younger' players with his experience and lead by example.

However, if he does go,I think he's given his best years and will go down in LFC history. Maybe won't be remembered as 'fondly' as Gerrard for his 'football', but will be remembered for being the Captain that won 'every' trophy...

Still a while to go in the Transfer window and the 'pre-season' has started - looking forward to the new season...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

BAMozzy

@StripedTomato Being a Liverpool supporter, Hendo has won 'everything' as Captain of one of the top Premier League clubs as well as an England international so there is definitely 'no' undervaluing him - even at his advancing age and unlikely to be a 'Starter' - especially in the '8' position. of Course if Fabinho goes, he may well be the first choice 'defensive' mid - at least until Bajectic pushes him out.

As I said, he was never going to be a Liverpool Legend for his 'football' - not like those other Legends, but he will be still be remembered as the Captain who lifted the EPL trophy, go down as a 'Successful' Captain.

I'd rather he (and Gerrard) never go to Saudi Arabia - at least considering the 'human rights' issues - but maybe they can be a catalyst for change. I'd rather he went abroad to a place where he won't be playing against Liverpool but I'd rather he stayed than went to Saudi myself - just because I think we 'need' him around the Club. Having lost Milner (Vice Captain), Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita, that's a LOT of experience lost from Midfield - Firmino going to has lost more 'experienced' players around the club who could really help 'new' players settle in with the weight of expectation and set an example to others too...

He's not irreplaceable on the pitch, in fact he was already not guaranteed a start despite those departures. However, its no so easy to replace someone of that experience of being at LFC for as long as he has and what he can bring to the Squad in the changing rooms, in training and from the bench. Sometimes you want/need 'experience' over youth to see out games...

I'b be happy to see Hendo return home to Sunderland too of course and there is still time for that to happen...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

nessisonett

Henderson was a big supporter of the Rainbow Laces campaign so to swan off to the Saudi league is even worse than ones who’ve never stuck their head above the parapet. Considering that Bruno’s apparently turned down offers from them to stay at Man Utd, it’s not as if it’s inevitable that the players will go, they’re being tempted by the money as if what they earn at English clubs isn’t already a life-changing amount.

Thrillho

I wonder whether this will have legs or go the same way as the Chinese league from 10 years ago or so where they got a bit bored of their expensive plaything. It’s mostly top players in their late career or middling players mid career so not too much of a threat.

As ness says though, it’s kind of sad to see that ridiculous money is still enough to turn heads vs the silly money they’re already on.

Thrillho

BAMozzy

@nessisonett Difference is primarily Tax. In the UK, earning 200k a week is not 200k in pocket - Tax takes a big chunk - especially in the 'high' income bracket. In Saudi, if they earn 200k a week, they get 200k a week - Tax Free. Earn themselves and their Family a lot of money in a relatively 'short' time as their career is ending in their 'mid-30's'.

I would hope that these players stand by their principals regardless of where they end up playing and maybe even be the catalyst for change...

nessisonett

@BAMozzy Tax is a civic duty though, so I guess it does show even more of a lack of morals.

BAMozzy

@nessisonett I agree if that is the 'laws' of the Country and/or that money is being used to benefit the 'people' regardless of gender, sexuality etc. That also doesn't mean that those earning 'tax-free' income can't or won't use some of that money to support Charities for example in their 'own' country.

Instead of '50%'+ going to Tax - they could donate a large chunk to Charity, donate to causes in their own Country etc...

KAIRU

The Saudi's are doing the exact same thing the Premier League has been doing for years so I don't see how it's an issue. None of these players are forced to go and if they want to take the money then that's up to them. I highly doubt they care about what a few anonymous people on the internet have to say about them anyway so who cares?

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho Difference between the Saudi league and the Chinese leave is that the Saudi league is already well supported in the country , so the interest is not going to just go away almost overnight like it seem to with the Chinese league.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Fight_Teza_Fight

@KAIRU You’re right in the sense that they aren’t forced to do so, but clubs are pushing to get the best deal out of a player leaving.
Chelsea have done from their standpoint a brilliant bit of business so far in the transfer window already. A lot of those players that nobody wanted due to their wage & or fee have now gone to Saudi. That has gone a long way into alleviating their own FFP troubles.

The hypocrisy from some clubs i.e. PSG with Mbappe is astounding.
The club offered the contract & he’s sticking to it. If he doesn’t want to leave he shouldn’t be forced to…& join Madrid on a free the following season😏.

Henderson leaving is a bit perplexing. He’s probably got another 2-3 years of top football in him, but at 700k a week, who can blame him.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

KAIRU

@Fight_Teza_Fight The thing with Henderson is that I just don’t think he’s got the legs to do the work in Klopp’s system for a full ninety minutes. He’s not a bad footballer by any means but I do think he’d start to struggle and see his game time reduced if he remains at Liverpool.

KAIRU

@StripedTomato Mental price for a player who isn't even world class but that's the money involved in the sport nowadays, especially for English players. It's just where the sport's going, I suppose.

nessisonett

@StripedTomato I think Rice will inevitably never live up to that price tag. Very few players would, and he’s not the flashiest player you’ll ever see either. He’ll be solid enough and could possibly win silverware with the team but it does feel odd for his valuation to be that bloated. Perhaps it’s an English tax due to the whole homegrown players rule? Like Maguire going for nonsense money as well, the prospect of a first-team player that counts towards homegrown must bump up the price a bit.

Fight_Teza_Fight

@KAIRU Definitely. With top level football I meant he’s good enough to play any Division 1 team in the world really.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s Al-Nassr got smashed by Celta Vigo 5-0 only a couple of days ago. I think Henderson probably could’ve retired there later, but seems like Gerrard really wanted him.

@StripedTomato Definitely overpaid, but Arsenal do need him. He’s not on the level of a Jude Bellingham imo, but the price is whatever the club bidding is ready to pay 🤷‍♂️.

Also Messi has been found guilty & charged with Tax evasion during his time in Spain, which saw his almost 2 year prison sentence reduced to a fine. So much for morals.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

Fight_Teza_Fight

@StripedTomato Jobe will definitely play in the premier league I think. Won’t be on Jude’s level, but I think he’s got a really good support system around him.

Very exciting times for England. My Germany aren’t anywhere close😅

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

JohnnyShoulder

Well there it is, Hendo is off to Saudi. Wish I could say I'm not disappointed, but do understand why he has gone.

With Fabhino likely going as well, that is too hugely experienced players going. Have to see who we get in to replace them, but that is gonna be tricky.

Only see Van Dijk and Robertson as leaders in that squad, and maybe Trent eventually.

I'm a little more nervous about next season now than I was after we had signed Dom and Mac Alister.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic