Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 401 to 420 of 2,197

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Do you like any of the 70s disco stuff? Disco inferno, etc. I used to be very into that before I discovered rock, somewhat embarrassing now that I look back on those days.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Oh yeah, I definitely have a big appreciation for disco and funk. All the best gay bars have a soundtrack pretty much exclusively Donna Summer, Earth Wind and Fire and Bee Gees. I’m very proud of my original Saturday Night Fever vinyl despite literally everybody owning it, it’s just a cool thing to own. Baccara’s Yes Sir, I Can Boogie is the greatest song of all time.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

I've been listening to a lot of Zappa recently, planning to get his latter 70s work on vinyl. Are any of you Zappa heads on here? Which are your favorite albums?
I've been listening to him whilst getting into guitar-centric rock, been listening to Guthrie Govan as well, particularly his work in The Aristocrats, for the same reason.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

Untitled

Tjuz

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I don't really listen to any jazz usually. I pretty much exclusively listen to female pop, but there are obviously exceptions here and there. I have nothing against jazz, though, and I'd certainly be open to trying out more of it. Any recommendations?

Tjuz

Anti-Matter

I like Bubblegum songs with silly lyrics and catchy sounds.
I knew those songs from Dance Dance Revolution games as the licensed songs during old DDR era were mostly Eurodance and Bubblegum songs from European artists.
These are my favorite Bubblegum songs that i have ever played on DDR Arcade and PS2.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

@Anti-Matter Check our Blümchen. Herz an Herz is a bop and a half. I pretty much live in the Happy Hardcore City of Culture so I’m overly familiar with that bubblegum hardcore style. I love PC Music as well which sorta deconstructs those stylings. Hannah Diamond, Kero Kero Bonito and SOPHIE all explore it in different ways.

Black_Swordsman

@Tjuz Tutu by Miles Davis is a good starting point.

Th3solution

Any AC/DC fans out there?
Something about their music is captivating. I was listening to some of their songs today and trying to decide if I think the lead vocals are a travesty and an insult to the art of real singing or if they are pure genius. I can barely understand the words to their songs and I think the vocals sound like they grabbed a guy from the nearest bus stop with no talent or experience and just let him belt out whatever he wanted. Nevertheless I can’t imagine their songs being performed any other way. The raspy mumbling vocals are strangely hypnotizing and catchy.

I didn’t realize either that they have had several lead singers and that my favorites from the albums “High Voltage” and “Highway to Hell” are actually a different lead singer from “The Razors Edge” and “Back in Black”

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Do you like any Frank Zappa? He's great for guitar nerds like myself. Also, Guthrie Govan draws influence from him and Steve Vai, and is a great guitarist too. What music have you been listening to recently? I listened to some of J Dilla's Donuts and thought it was good, what is his background? Is he generally someone who writes for other people?

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’ve never been huge into Frank Zappa but my brother is. Hot Rats is great though and I do like some of the people he influenced. Plus Sheik Yerbouti is the greatest album title ever.

Donuts is an interesting one. J Dilla was a producer first and foremost so he played a huge part in shaping albums like The Pharcyde’s LabCabinCalifornia and Common’s Like Water For Chocolate. He was also a member of the Soulquarians with D’Angelo, Q-Tip, Mos Def and Common so he moved in some pretty great circles. His influence can be seen in basically the entire lo-fi hip hop genre these days so it’s good that he lives on considering he died so young. Donuts is just a great album from start to finish, I’m a big plunderphonics fan anyway but it leans more towards hip hop stylings which work really well.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett It's amazing to know how prolific J Dilla was. Why did he die "so young"?. With regard to Zappa, I haven't really heard anything from Hot Rats, I don't know if it's one of his 70s prog rock albums, but I really like what I've heard of those, and I own and love Zoot Allures. Anyway, you should check out The Aristocrats as their guitarist is influenced by Zappa and Vai, and they do a jazz-rock blend thing that you might be into.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Apparently J Dilla suffered from Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, a rare blood disease. Just one of those rare and unlucky things.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I see, what an unfortunate event. Let me know what you think of The Aristocrats (Guthrie Govan's band, I dunno if there are any other bands with the same name out there) if you get a chance to listen to them.

Thrillho

@Th3solution “Several lead singers” is a bit of an exaggeration seeing as they’ve had two (plus Axl Rose doing some live shows for them but not recording anything).

They’re a fun band though and Back in Black is an utter classic. It’s bonkers that the album is 40 years old but less so when you realise that one of their original lineup had to leave the band due to dementia..

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho Oh, my bad. I thought I saw 4 lead singers in their history, including Axl.
But yeah, the music has staying power, for sure.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic