Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 281 to 300 of 2,197

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Enjoy! I’ve not really listened to much jazz in a while, been in a bit of a mellow mood so I’ve been delving into my shoegaze backlog. Highlights probably include Galaxie 500’s On Fire, Ride’s Nowhere and Catherine Wheel’s Chrome. I came across Jesu’s self titled album as well, which is brilliant, hazy, droning metal if you’re into that sorta stuff.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Panopticon by Isis is an absolute classic of sludgy drone metal, along with Feedbacker by Boris. I’ve heard good things about Neurosis too, along with Agalloch. I’m into post-rock as well though and those bands are pretty much a crossover with metal. Growing up, I was always going over to my uncle’s when he was making music and I was exposed to a lot of stuff like his influences so my tastes are pretty eclectic! I think the first album that really grabbed me was Bowery Electric’s Beat, he used to put it on and it’s a great, atmospheric trip-hop/drone crossover. Obviously I only went properly looking for it later on but it’s incredible what sticks with you at that age.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Panopticon by Isis is indeed a behemoth of titanic proportions. Neurosis are great, I would start with Times Of Grace if I were you. I think I grew up with a lot eclectic influences too, well, in my late teens and early twenties, then I wasn't listening to a lot of music for a while and didn't really care about what I bought, then I started getting seriously into jazz, and now, more recently, left field stuff and folk.
It sounded like you had some fun socializing with your uncle. I think the first song that got me seriously into music was Last Resort by Papa Roach, I think that was the first "heavy" song I heard in my life. Obviously when you listen to stuff like Suffocation years later it can seem pretty tame, but I was listening to 60s soul and disco before that, so it came as quite a shock

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Can you recommend any good blues guitarists? Preferably from the modern era and similar to artists like Kenny Burrell if possible.

Also, what do you think of these guys?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Hmm, in terms of modern ones, I don’t really have much clue I’m afraid. The only blues I’ve listened to is old Delta Blues like Muddy Waters and Son House. Lead Belly’s worth looking at as well despite being like really really old. I guess Stevie Ray Vaughan is probably the closest person I’d recommend, despite being more electric blues/blues rock.

Didn’t see that video there! I really liked Dead Roots Stirring but haven’t actually listened to any more of their stuff. I’ll get round to it eventually hahaha

Edited on by nessisonett

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Thank you for the recommendations. I think that Omens is one of their best albums. They changed direction in a great way after Dead Roots Stirring, and began exploring new sounds on their Lore album. Reflections Of A Floating World and their latest release, Omens are continuations of that sound.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Oh yeah, I know his earlier work like a sorta lo-fi deconstruction of blues. A bit like the For Alto of guitar. Interesting that he's gone towards a more traditional Americana sound but it's a nice sound, if slightly less exciting.

Black_Swordsman

Sco is back with another album, this time focusing on the compositions of his longtime bandmate and collaborator, Steve Swallow, what I have heard so far is pure fiery gold. I entreat you all to listen to more of the same, check out the singles on Spotify or whathaveyou, and enjoy to your heart's content. A must for serious guitarists.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Yet perhaps he was just playing the more sedate stuff as a response to his detractors, you know, people who possibly said he couldn't really play and would just go wild on the guitar, this proves he can really play!

nessisonett

Black Dresses have broken up due to extensive harassment towards one of the women which is crazy, their latest album did really well and they were on the up and up. They put out a statement attacking ‘fandom’ as a culture and their music’s now come off streaming services. It’s such a shame because I’ve been following them since they were a tiny band and they’d just hit bigger heights. Ultimately, it’s probably better for her health if they get out of the limelight but some of the reactions even I’ve seen to them has been pretty atrocious.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic It’s one of the classics for sure. I prefer Edition II to Edition I, there’s key differences in the instrumentation and it’s not hard to see why it’s divisive. It’s all over the place and really quite mad but I do enjoy listening to it. My dog didn’t though, she used to run off to her bed if I put it on.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I'll have to make sure I get both editions then. Why did your dog run off? Must have been too crazy for her. What's your dog's name?

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic The trumpets are at a certain pitch and all over the place that I don’t think she enjoyed it. It was a couple of years ago and she’s sadly passed away since but she was called Ruby and was a good doggo!

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Ah, Sorry to hear about that. I'm glad you had some good times with her. Personally I prefer later Coltrane to early Coltrane. Did you get another dog? What do you think of Muddy Waters? I read that he was a major influence on Orcutt.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Probably not going to get another pet any time soon since I’ll be moving out relatively soon but maybe in a few years! I do like Muddy Waters, he’s definitely one of the masters of Delta Blues. I’m probably more of a fan of the older stuff than the later blues rock, I sometimes find the more electric stuff to be a bit cheesy.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Yeah, what would you recommend in the way of jazz funk? Anything where the musicians are in search of the eternal 'groove' and locate it, however briefly, would be great.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic