Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 2,061 to 2,080 of 2,192

nessisonett

I was listening to The Ape of Naples by Coil and I can’t stop picturing this guy

Untitled

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

@zupertramp That I'm With Her recommendation was very well received here at home. My partner yesterday evening said: can you put on that nice folky music that you played last week again?

Kidfried

Bundersvessel

@Kidfried I can’t argue with any of what you said, it was beautifully written too. I was more musing on a different time due to the sense memory/ratatouille moment listening invoked. I do try to make it ‘magical’ on the whole, music is incredibly important in our household and we’re doing our best to pass that onto our children, although with our record player being broken, the children’s experience is more ipad speakers than a tangible experience. I struggle with the duality of both missing the hunt and discovery of the old way as @Thrillho alludes to and enjoying the shear freedom of listening to almost any recorded piece of music ever, all at my fingertips. My eldest son is in his element with playlists, naming and tailoring each one to certain tastes and moods, which reminds me of making mixtapes for my dad when I was his age, albeit they took much more physical involvement swapping tapes, vinyl and cds around and such. Sometimes the illusion of choice can create diminishing returns, where “back in the day” I would listen to maybe 2 or 3 albums for months until I could afford more and even if they weren’t incredible I would still take time to digest and appreciate them and create fond memories or unlikely new favourites. Whereas now even albums of the year or records by my favourite artists may not hit me the same due to it rotating within a sea of hundreds of records a year. I have tried your method @Thrillho but it’s just really difficult from a financial aspect at the moment to allow the whole house to enjoy their music this way, though I still have reservations and massive pangs of guilt about using streaming as it’s a sh*te deal for pretty much all artists.

Edited on by Bundersvessel

Friendly Neighbourhood Discord

NP: Helldivers 2 [PS5] / Breath of the Wild [Switch] / Sea of Stars / Lies of P [XB]

PSN: Bundersvessel

render

@AgentCooper I've felt the same for many years. When I was a kid buying music on vinyl, cassettes etc felt really special. I knew it was something that I wanted to experience and would spend ages digesting the sleeve notes and religiously listening over and over again until I'd memorised the play order and names of all the tracks. Even now if I hear a song from those days I'll start humming what would be the next track on the album.

I still listen to music mostly as albums now but I struggle to even remember album names now let alone track names and play order. I guess I just listen to so much stuff and usually while I'm working that I just don't process it in that way anymore. I also have less memories memories associated with those songs so it's not as easy to file them in any meaningful way. I guess that's not just down to not buying physical music any more though but is generally because this midlife I'm in is more mundane than back when I was a kid 😅

render

nessisonett

@AgentCooper Reading my uncle’s royalties was pretty grim. You can basically put a lifetime into music and get pennies in return.

Bundersvessel

@nessisonett oh yeah? What kind of music does your uncle produce? I take it has been a tough career for him. It really is naff the way things have gone, especially for more niche or emerging artists and then on top of that venues are taking outrageous cuts from merchandise sales. I try and buy new records by artists I love when finances allow but I fear it’ll never be enough.

NP: Helldivers 2 [PS5] / Breath of the Wild [Switch] / Sea of Stars / Lies of P [XB]

nessisonett

@AgentCooper He was part of that whole wave of British post-hardcore/math rock in the 00s alongside Johnny Foreigner, Los Campesinos etc. We used to wind him up and say he was Inbetweeners-core, as in the sort of band that would turn up in the Inbetweeners. Honestly though, got great memories of watching them play live on BBC 2 and it’s pretty cool that his music is forever immortalised in the soundtrack of FIFA 10. However, that doesn’t pay the bills! It just goes to show that you really do have to make it like proper big to have any chance of living off the royalties. Touring Japan, the States, Australia and stuff is a short term deal, you basically have to land a single or two that gets used constantly in TV shows or the radio.

Bundersvessel

@nessisonett haha yeah there was definitely a certain flavour to guitar music at the turn of the century. I know it sounds trite but having those experiences can’t be bought and to have those memories is more important than anything because for most, especially the creative industries, the money never comes. Cold comfort I know.

JohnnyShoulder

I'm hoping this does not start a new craze of bagpipe renditions of classic hip hop tunes! 😂

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

I know a lot of people disregard anything Pulp before His n Hers but they still have some great tunes from the 80s. Really wish I could have justified tickets.

Kidfried

@nessisonett Love that song!

Lana del Rey just announced some last-minute tour dates for next week. I've been wanting to see her for a long time, so I had to buy tickets, but it's really weird to buy tickets for a show that's happening in five days...

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried That’s incredibly short notice for tickets for somebody as big as her!

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Hey, man! Sorry for the late reply, had to take a break for a bit for various reasons. I have listened to it! I thought it was pretty great and offered a wealth of musical variety. I’m still as amazed as always with the genre’s ability to thread the line between chaos and control so effectively. How have you been? What are you listening to lately?

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

The Atmos mix of Suede’s debut is pretty cool. It always sounded incredibly fuzzy so it’s nice to hear it cleaned up a bit.

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I'm glad you enjoyed it and welcome back. I've been gaming less myself so using the site less, yes, order and chaos is what jazz is all about. I've been listening to this guy, have you heard of him - Charlie Hunter? He has a 7 string guitar where the bottom strings are bass strings, custom-made, and plays bass & guitar melodies at the same time, you should be able to find some stuff on youtube.

Everything else has been good just finished a short course in counselling psychology, which I've been focusing on recently as I would prefer that to a literary career.

Everything well in your neck of the woods? What have you been listening to lately?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I haven’t heard of him but I’ll check Charlie Hunter out. I’ve seen that kind of thing before - very cool.

As of late I’ve been listening mostly to podcasts, orchestral music and quite a bit of August Burns Red. Their latest, Death Below, is excellent (as usual) if you like that kind of thing.

I hope the counselling works out for you! I never really believed in that stuff until I had a nervous breakdown two years ago and now I truly believe counselling is an essential part of the human experience, particularly for anyone dealing with trauma. Glad to hear from ya!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

ralphdibny

I've had this version of this son stuck in my head for ages, can't get enough of it

Probably doesn't help that I've got the blues brothers soundtrack in the CD changer in the car 😅

See ya!

KAIRU

I've been listening to a lot of King Gnu lately. Some of their songs are absolute bangers - especially their song 'Ichizu'. It's been the first song on my Spotify playlist for a while now. The music video below is actually quite cool too.

There are some flashing/strobe lighting and effects in the video so I'll throw up an Epilepsy Warning just incase.

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

PSN: KairuDoes

nessisonett

Poor Sinéad O’Connor. One hell of a life.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic