Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 1,900

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman so I did finally sit down to listen but could only listen to the first one, Birds of Fire. The other is blocked in my country for some reason. Anyways, Birds of Fire is amazing. I truly enjoyed it. I’m quite struck by the sheer variety on display. Guitars, drums, keys, even strings, all over the spectrum of style and genre. There are too many brilliant little parts to call out, suffice it to say it was a rather enjoyable 40 minute cacophony of musical bliss. Thanks!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Good, I'm glad you enjoyed it, shame to hear that The Hot Spot was blocked in your country but you might be able to find different videos for that album that are not, on Youtube. Birds of Fire, is, as you say an amazing album, John McLaughlin, the guitarist also worked on a shred-fest of an album called Love, Devotion, Surrender with Carlos Santana so that might be worth your time as well.

"Ten thousand toadstools, with the right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Anti-Matter

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

PSN: DavidHartonoDDR

TheBrandedSwordsman

@nessisonett What do you reckon of John Coltrane's 'First Meditations' Sorry if I've asked you before.

"Ten thousand toadstools, with the right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Listened to it tonight and I’d say it’s a mid-tier Trane album. Not my favourite, not my least favourite. Parts sound just a little flat in my opinion. Consequences is fantastic though, it really feels like the quartet is letting go! Even still, I think I just prefer the original Meditations. That recording has a little more urgency.

Elsewhere, I’ve been listening to all sorts of random stuff. My dissertation revolves around a musical password system I’m developing for senior citizens therefore I’m having to throw myself into 50s - 70s music in order to find the most earwormy nostalgic stuff for that age group. Has to be pretty varied too in order to include as many demographics as possible. I’ve at least got a newfound appreciation for early rocksteady and reggae though!

In terms of less forced listening, a pretty eclectic bunch. Here’s a couple of tracks that stood out though!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Kidfried

@nessisonett You should wat the film Lovers Rock, it's about a late-70's raggae house party in West London. one of my favorite movies!

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Yep, I watched the Small Axe movies when they aired and they were all great but Lovers’ Rock was probably my favourite too!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Anti-Matter

2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Kidfried

@nessisonett I haven't watched all of them yet, only Lovers Rock actually. Do you recommend all of them?

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried I think so yeah. They’re all quite different but are a certain level of quality. The one with John Boyega was really fantastic.

nessisonett

I still can’t believe The KLF were real. And were a big deal.

Thrillho

@nessisonett And don't forget their side project The Time Lords!

I really only the legend of the band rather than their music such as how they made their exit from the business and their infamous performance to open The Brits in 1992 (with a slight reworking of their track...)

Thrillho

Anti-Matter

2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Here is a classic of jazz fusion for you now, in it's entirety, let me know what you think when you have 1 hr 45 to dedicate to it, or you can listen in multiple sessions, it's a double album!

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman awesome, thanks! I will do that. I just listened to Birds of Fire again a couple of days ago. I really like that album. I don’t know if I’ve ever recommended them or not, but have you heard of The Tragically Hip? They are absolute legends here in Canada so I never think to recommend them but it occurred to me that perhaps they’re not as well known in other parts. Gord is truly an incredible lyricist. Hard to pick a favourite but here’s one, from their excellent release, ‘Fully Completely’.

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

Fontaines D.C. have a promisingly brilliant single out now. They’ve always been alright but not quite there yet but yeah, the darker sound they’ve gone for is very very promising. It’s like a mix of The Cure, Doolittle era Pixies and then that whole wave of post-punk-revival-revival going round at the minute.

Edited on by nessisonett

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I liked it, but I'm not really listening to rock n' roll these days, if you have any jazz to recommend I'll always keep an ear open for it. You may enjoy Iggy Pop's show on 6Music - you can find it online as well, think I've recommended it to you before, as he plays a lot of rock, but yeah, still interesting music, so thanks for the recommendation. Do you ever find yourself exploring jazz on your own or is it mainly my recommendations that turn you on to it? just asking out of curiosity.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman mainly your recommendations to be honest. Haven’t stepped outside my comfort zone much as of late as I haven’t been listening to a whole lot of music. Been on a big podcast binge for a few months.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Jimmer-jammer That's cool ,I'm happy to keep sharing it as you seem to be into a lot of it. Let me know what you think of Bitches' Brew (the last album I posted a link to) when you get a chance to listen to it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic