Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,841 to 1,860 of 2,192

nessisonett

It’s near the end of the year so I’ve been trying to work out my favourite albums of the year. It’s been a hard one actually because I didn’t really enjoy a lot of the ‘best’ albums this year! I can’t really separate my top 3 so I’ll probably just list them and then the other two in the top 5.

The North Water (Original Score) - Tim Hecker
Sometimes I Might Be Introvert - Little Simz
Promises - Floating Points and Pharoah Sanders

4. To See the Next Part of the Dream - Parannoul
5. Mercurial World - Magdalena Bay

At least it was a decent year for individual songs, but again probably worse than the last few years for me!

1. Like I Used To - Sharon Van Etten and Angel Olsen
2. You Lose! - Magdalena Bay
3. Well Rested - Kero Kero Bonito
4. A Bottle of Rum - Xiu Xiu and Liz Harris
5. Hazard Duty Pay! - JPEGMAFIA

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@nessisonett The Floating Points album sounded like it should have been a slam dunk for me to love but I just find it so monotonous and feel the London Symphony Orchestra as just way under-utilised.

It didn’t help that the vinyl record was delayed by like 6 months and then didn’t even come with a download code anyway so I had to buy it digitally again too..

The death of download codes with vinyl records was a very weird thing to suddenly happen this year too as I think that was the case with about two thirds of my record purchases.

Thrillho

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman so I did finally sit down to listen but could only listen to the first one, Birds of Fire. The other is blocked in my country for some reason. Anyways, Birds of Fire is amazing. I truly enjoyed it. I’m quite struck by the sheer variety on display. Guitars, drums, keys, even strings, all over the spectrum of style and genre. There are too many brilliant little parts to call out, suffice it to say it was a rather enjoyable 40 minute cacophony of musical bliss. Thanks!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Good, I'm glad you enjoyed it, shame to hear that The Hot Spot was blocked in your country but you might be able to find different videos for that album that are not, on Youtube. Birds of Fire, is, as you say an amazing album, John McLaughlin, the guitarist also worked on a shred-fest of an album called Love, Devotion, Surrender with Carlos Santana so that might be worth your time as well.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett What do you reckon of John Coltrane's 'First Meditations' Sorry if I've asked you before.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Listened to it tonight and I’d say it’s a mid-tier Trane album. Not my favourite, not my least favourite. Parts sound just a little flat in my opinion. Consequences is fantastic though, it really feels like the quartet is letting go! Even still, I think I just prefer the original Meditations. That recording has a little more urgency.

Elsewhere, I’ve been listening to all sorts of random stuff. My dissertation revolves around a musical password system I’m developing for senior citizens therefore I’m having to throw myself into 50s - 70s music in order to find the most earwormy nostalgic stuff for that age group. Has to be pretty varied too in order to include as many demographics as possible. I’ve at least got a newfound appreciation for early rocksteady and reggae though!

In terms of less forced listening, a pretty eclectic bunch. Here’s a couple of tracks that stood out though!

Kidfried

@nessisonett You should wat the film Lovers Rock, it's about a late-70's raggae house party in West London. one of my favorite movies!

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Yep, I watched the Small Axe movies when they aired and they were all great but Lovers’ Rock was probably my favourite too!

Kidfried

@nessisonett I haven't watched all of them yet, only Lovers Rock actually. Do you recommend all of them?

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried I think so yeah. They’re all quite different but are a certain level of quality. The one with John Boyega was really fantastic.

nessisonett

I still can’t believe The KLF were real. And were a big deal.

Thrillho

@nessisonett And don't forget their side project The Time Lords!

I really only the legend of the band rather than their music such as how they made their exit from the business and their infamous performance to open The Brits in 1992 (with a slight reworking of their track...)

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Here is a classic of jazz fusion for you now, in it's entirety, let me know what you think when you have 1 hr 45 to dedicate to it, or you can listen in multiple sessions, it's a double album!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic