Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 2,197

nessisonett

@Voltan Of course it’s Tower Of Power, I was trying to work that out! I do like a bit of TOP, they also feature on Masayoshi Takanaka’s An Insatiable High which is a great jazz fusion album.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Yeah, I figured you might like the Frank Zappa album better, so be sure to give me your thoughts on that as well? Angel Bat Dawid wrote all the music then taught it to The Brothahood so it's more than just a jam session, it has a cohesive identity.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman honestly, I’ve never really explored Led Zeppelin on an album by album basis. I’ve had an expansive “best of” disc for as long as I can remember and that’s pretty much been the well for me. I love it though. Thanks for thinking of me, I’ll give that one a listen!

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

RetroGMR

I enjoy many types of music, that includes foreign music. So here's a nice song I discovered last year after the death of someone dear to me. The song starts slow and picks up.

Nadia - Nitin Sawhney feat. Nicki Wells & Ashwin Srinivasan.
Nadia is a song about two lovers on opposite ends of the river. The song is almost like someone calling across the river. Based on a thumri, this track is about how the river has become the enemy as it is keeping the lovers apart.

Edited on by RetroGMR

"Didn’t I tell you

not to be seduced by this colorful world

for I am the Ultimate Painter." Excerpt from -Didn't I Tell You- by Rumi

PSN: Planet_Dreamcast

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I have heard the album ages ago but I'm going to have another listen in about 2 hours I'll get back to you

Voltan

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I just finished listening. Good stuff. I’m a fan of that 70s sound in general so it’s usually a safe bet I’ll like a high profile album from that period like that, however Zappa stands out being a bit more experimental than most (even if not as complex as British prog bands in the early 70s). My favorite parts are probably the bluesy pianos and the extensive (for what’s essentially a rock band) use of chromatic percussion.
While I’m not a huge fan of the vocal performance, the signature style of the lyrics makes it stand out a little further 😉

Totally unrelated: this is what I played right after and I think pretty cool too

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan I loved the Meer song, and thanks for posting your thoughts on Zappa. Can you recommend any specific early 70s British prog rock records with complex arrangements?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’ll post some stuff tomorrow. I mostly mean some things by Yes, Genesis, King Crimson (they actually became more complex and experimental as time went on) and/or EL&P

Voltan

LordSteev

Here's what I've been listening to today. Guesses? No using the web!

On the first day that I met you,
I was looking in the sky
When the sun turned all a blur,
and a thunder cloud rolled by
the sea began to shiver and
the wind began to moan...
It must have been a sign for me
to leave you alone
I was born without you baby,
but my feelings were a little bit too strong
you never said you love me,
and I don't believe you can
'cause I saw you in a dream,
and you were with another man
you look so cool and casual,
and I try to look the same
but now I've gone and loved you,
tell me who and what's to blame
i was born without you baby,
but my feelings were a little bit too strong
just a little bit too strong
now the whole wide world is reeling,
cause there's iron in my heart
I just can't keep from crying,
cause you say we've got to part
sorrow grips my voice,
as i stand here all alone
and watch you slowly take away
a love i've never known
i was born without you baby,
but my feelings were a little bit to strong,
just a little bit too strong

LordSteev

Black_Swordsman

@LordSteev I think Black Sabbath are great. You must be a Led Zeppelin fan as well? What's your favourite album by Zeppelin?

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Youtube is probably the safest bet, or you could just list the album titles.

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman

K... I asked because I had trouble finding some things on YT - but I think I got what I need in the end

Here are some British prog classics:

This is probably the album that made me pick up keyboards as my instrument

And last but definitely not least (full album as a playlist, hope it works fine in the post)

The first thing you might notice is that while Zappa's stuff is mostly based in bluesy rock with some jazz and general weirdness sprinkled on top, the Brits were definitely leaning a lot more into into classical music.

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Yes we were leaning a lot more into classical music in the 70s, King Crimson were much more interested in jazz than classical imo, though. Still, very astute comparison between Zappa and early 70s British prog in that post, I feel. Some brilliant choices there and I have added all four albums to my Wishlist .I think it was Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth that made me want to take up the electric guitar, on that subject, even though I became a lead guitarist later and he is a rhythm guitarist and songwriter principally. Have you heard any early Iced Earth? Their era with Matt Barlow is probably their best. The solo at the end of this one was also very inspiring at an early age.

And this is probably the best song they have ever produced.

Thoughts?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I even have a picture with Matt Barlow somewhere, we were playing the same festival in 2011
I gotta say I never fully got into Iced Earth though (I do like "Horror Show" a lot) and current developments with Schaffer don't make it easier
Also I saw them again a few years ago (with Stu Block on vocals) and unfortunately found the performance a little boring.

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Congrats on your photo, Horror Show is an excellent record. Sorry to hear you didn't like performance with Stu Block, but then again, it's hard to compare him to Barlow, anyway, what else have you been listening to recently?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic