Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 1,301

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Voltan I love GoGoPenguin so thanks for posting that, yeah, fair enough, being a metal fan first and foremost definitely helps, so I can understand that. I remember when I first started listening to jazz after metal I was always excited whenever the occasional power chord was snuck into the melody (See one of the tracks, I forget which, on Grace Under Pressure by John Scofield, which features Bill Frisell, another notable jazz guitarist).

But no, I am sure that I am a jazz-head first and foremost now, and 70s jazz fusion is about as far as I am willing to go when it comes to mixing jazz with rock or metal, except in the case of Naked City, who I presume you've also heard?

Edited on by TheBrandedSwordsman

"Ten thousand toadstools, with right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Voltan

It's new vinyl day!

Untitled

I need to buy more shelves 😩

Voltan

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Voltan I also got vinyl in the post today - Angel Bat Dawid & The Brothahood - LIVE. Great jazz record.

"Ten thousand toadstools, with right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I'll check that out - and yeah, I'm familiar with Naked City and John Zorn in general but I'm not sure it's my thing

Voltan

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Voltan Up there with Frank Zappa's One Size Fits All for my favourite records of all time. You must be a Zappa fan yourself as a musician? Besides the lyrics, a lot of it is really musicians' music. Check it out as well if you haven't heard it already.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@nessisonett I thought you would be the best person to ask about this 'cause I can't find it anywhere. Any good albums that mix soul music with rock if that's even possible? Also, your top 5 jazz-rock fusion albums?

maryeddington

I can't live without music. And I listen for very different genres. Mostly I love old jazz. And i enjoy hip-hop and rock music a lot.
Now I listen to all albums of TOP for the hundredth time. Love their style

I'm Mary and I love painting, plants, and people.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman To be perfectly honest, I’m not a huge fan of jazz-rock fusion. My tastes in jazz are almost exclusively classic and rooted in people like Mingus, Coltrane, Davis, Sanders etc. The only fusion I’m really big on is Miles Davis’ later stuff and that’s just because I like his sound. Although I quite like the 70s Japanese fusion stuff that they used for F1 coverage over there. That’s why Mario Kart has a fusion soundtrack.

Soul and rock though, I dunno. The obvious would be Michael Kiwanuka.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@maryeddington What does TOP stand for? I like jazz myself, but mostly the modern and 70s fusion stuff, as I was saying to @nessisonett .Which jazz and rock artists do you like? Have you tried any jazz-rock fusion? Surely if you like rock and old jazz you wouldn't mind the combination of the two?

nessisonett

Gutted I was outbid on a copy of The Clean’s Compilation on vinyl. One of the most forward thinking bands of all time, writing music that sounds eerily similar to the slacker rock trend in the 90s all the way back at the start of the 80s. They, and other bands operating out of Dunedin, essentially created people like Courtney Barnett’s entire schtick and people like Beck and Stephen Malkmus of Pavement definitely owe a debt to them as well. Surely one of New Zealand’s greatest exports! Anything Can Happen for example is from 1981, a whole 5 years before The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths which is often credited with revolutionising that style of music.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Northern_munkey

After watching super dooper alice cooper i've been revisiting the early albums..still dont like easy action and pretties for you but love it to death,killer,schools out and billion dollar babies are just so damn cool..just cant bring myself to play my vinyl as they are just too damn special to risk scratching..also just found my stooges cd's too...

Never whistle while you're pissing!

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Are you a fan of Led Zeppelin? I was listening to In Through the Out Door today and as a fan of the Human League many a year ago the keyboards work really well for me. As a piano player yourself you should be interested in hearing some of the keyboards on this album? What's your favourite Led Zep album?

TheBrandedSwordsman

@nessisonett I was listening to John Scofield's album 'Electric Outlet' earlier and noticed, since we were on that subject the other day, that the bass guitar on the album is credited to someone only known as 'DMX' mysterious eh?

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman So I’m about halfway through that Angel Bat Dawid live album now. It has a very strong “a bunch of people gathered together to jam for an hour and a half (possibly while getting high)” feeling to it - which is not a bad thing but I’ll admit I usually like more “structured” music if that makes sense. It sounds like a very honest performance though and I’ll stick with it to the end for sure 🙂

Also I think TOP might stand for Tower Of Power 😀

Voltan

nessisonett

@Voltan Of course it’s Tower Of Power, I was trying to work that out! I do like a bit of TOP, they also feature on Masayoshi Takanaka’s An Insatiable High which is a great jazz fusion album.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Voltan Yeah, I figured you might like the Frank Zappa album better, so be sure to give me your thoughts on that as well? Angel Bat Dawid wrote all the music then taught it to The Brothahood so it's more than just a jam session, it has a cohesive identity.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman honestly, I’ve never really explored Led Zeppelin on an album by album basis. I’ve had an expansive “best of” disc for as long as I can remember and that’s pretty much been the well for me. I love it though. Thanks for thinking of me, I’ll give that one a listen!

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

True genuineness actually puts people off. The only way to combat this is with time. Stay true, and one time enemies may become long time friends.

RetroGMR

I enjoy many types of music, that includes foreign music. So here's a nice song I discovered last year after the death of someone dear to me. The song starts slow and picks up.

Nadia - Nitin Sawhney feat. Nicki Wells & Ashwin Srinivasan.
Nadia is a song about two lovers on opposite ends of the river. The song is almost like someone calling across the river. Based on a thumri, this track is about how the river has become the enemy as it is keeping the lovers apart.

Edited on by RetroGMR

"Didn’t I tell you

not to be seduced by this colorful world

for I am the Ultimate Painter." Excerpt from -Didn't I Tell You- by Rumi

PSN: Planet_Dreamcast

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic