Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,141 to 3,160 of 3,256

Solea

Ralizah wrote:

And, in general, I found the final confrontation between Rose, Abra, and Danny to be a little... well... ridiculous. You're treading a thin line when you portray psychic warfare in cinematic language, and while the film mostly nails it with some bizarre and mind-bending sequences, it doesn't work as well for direct, face-to-face encounters, and comes off as rather pretentious, and not unlike certain dream sequences in Inception.

Yeah... it might be that these former academics turned entertainment pundits are so deeply removed from humanism and the "humanities" — via perversion by corporate interests — that their broad analytical contributions to social discourse are lacking in perspective and mired in dimly informed identity politics. Ya know, ever since the term "identity politics" started making the rounds it feels like people have been given grounds for pride in ignorance. I dunno.

Edited on by Solea

Solea

WanderingBullet

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, it's gonna be interesting to see the cowl especially the mouth if they do make a live-action movie.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Ralizah

@Th3solution Thanks! Yeah, both films are worth watching. It's an odd age we live in where mainstream comic book movies can be more 'transgressive' than independent cinema, innit?

@Solea Ahaha. You know, that clip probably isn't entirely off-base. I imagine watching these psychic goofballs from the outside might look somewhat familiar. I want a deleted scene where some random person stumbles into the hotel looking for warmth and finds a couple of adults making combat noises at eachother as they engage in telepathic warfare!

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

Just got back from watching Ford v Ferrari
It’s not necessarily a movie I had been planning to see in theaters but I got dragged in. I would say my overall impression was favorable. The movie is an entertaining retelling of the true tale of Carrol Shelby and Ken Miles and their part in the development of the Ford GT40 in 1966 and the pursuit to compete with the Ferrari dominance in racing at the time. The movie is full of interesting and strong willed characters, lots of interpersonal conflicts and spirited personalities. The racing scenes are well shot, the roaring engines add to the immersion. But most of the movie is the development of the story between the 2 car companies and the 2 main characters. The movie drags a little in the first half, in my opinion, but is never outright boring. The shows biggest asset is the wonderful acting from all the actors, but especially Christian Bale and Matt Damon. I know a lot of people dislike Bale, but I find him to be really solid and very diverse in his acting skills. He’s one of my favorites. To me he nails the Miles character and his British accent sounds very good to me.

But the biggest attraction for me was seeing the cars perform. This being a period piece from the 60’s, it’s impressive how they got all the cars together and all looking so authentic. Having spent many hours with most of the Gran Turismo games, I was especially interested in seeing the racing and I remember loving to use the Ford GT40 for its exceptional speed and handling on the track. For any fans of racing games, you’ll enjoy this movie for that part alone and to see how the car was engineered and tweaked to be such a dominant force on the track.

The 2.5 hours went by fairly quick for me, but I could foresee some people thinking it’s boring if they have no interest in cars at all.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Arugula

I really had no prior interest in this (despite being a lover of cars and character driven movies) but your write up has turned my head a little bit, thank you! I haven't been to the cinema in years though so I can wait for Redbox or streaming.

Christian Bale "To me he nails the Miles character and his British accent sounds very good to me." Well, the man is Welsh so I'd hope so! 😉

Arugula

Th3solution

@Arugula Lol, well shows what I know! 😆
I guess I’ve always only seen Bale do American characters, so I figured he was from NA. I guess I need to compliment his American accent then. Oops. 😛

Th3solution

@Arugula Yeah, I got curious and looked up his Bio to make sure you weren’t pulling my leg 😜, and he moved around a lot as a kid and mom was a circus performer and dad was from South Africa. So growing up in such a diverse setting would certainly help a young person develop a wide array of acting and speaking skills. Not sure why he’s such an enormous jerk (allegedly) but I think 90% of actors are, so it’s not that alarming. Kinda like politicians — there’s not a decent one among them, no matter which party.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I've also found your write-up helpful, thank you, although in helping me make the opposite decision @Arugula has. Trailers and articles had me curious enough to want to see it someday, but then you mentioned its runtime. I'd have 90 minutes of patience for it, maybe two hours at a push, but two-and-a-half hours? No thanks. Particularly since I'm somebody who falls on the "dislike" side of the Christian Bale fence.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

Anyone know anything about this grass roots movement to try to get the Snyder cut of Justice League released? I just happened to see a headline and read a little about it. Seems all the actors (Affleck, Mamoa, Gadot) are behind the movement. I’m curious how the Snyder cut would be different. As a fan, I’d like to see that. I guess it’s a more dark and serious film before Wheedon tried to add more levity last minute? I usually don’t follow the production back stories but it sounds interesting. Do you think we’ll ever see the Snyder cut?

LN78

@Th3solution My guess is that this "grass roots movement" is actually a carefully orchestrated promotional campaign on the part of WB who are desperate to have a massive tent pole release for their flagship HBO streaming service. The much vaunted "Snyder Cut" would fit the bill rather nicely.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78
It's not from WB.

I've been circling the organisers and interested parties on twitter for quite a while. The guy behind 'The Black Suit Version' got me on to it. Did a fair amount of retweeting over the weekend.

@Th3solution The differences are pretty major. Whedon didn't just add levity. You can see from trailers that feature altered and missing scenes from the theatrical release, as well as deleted scenes, storyboards and plenty of stuff Snyder himself has put out that the original version was a very different film.

Judging by the theatrical release alone, easily every scene with Cavil other than the JL fight was entirely reshot. Affleck is in terrible shape and has an obvious hair piece in plenty of scenes too. As Gal Gadot was pregnant by the time of the reshoots, a lot of her additional stuff is done as torso shots.
Whedon didn't have a huge amount of time (WB exec's refused to push the release date to preserve their bonuses) - but he did a lot of new shots and re-editing to try and center Steppenwolf as the sole villain.

Momoa claims to have seen the cut and says it's great and would like to have it released as it's such a different film.

The main question I have is whether the Snyder Cut would be the full 'part 1' version (where Superman falls to the anti life equation and fulfills Batman's nightmare) - or whether the production was already set up for just the one film by then.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

LN78

@KALofKRYPTON I think my cynicism was showing a little there! I would love to see the pre-Whedon version (the one shown to WB execs that was deemed unreleasable) but as I found both "Man of Steel" and "BvS" to be nigh on unwatchable I don't have much faith that the "Snyder Cut" would be a major improvement in terms of overall quality although it would certainly be fascinating from an academic point of view. The only hurdles to its seeing the light of day might be the cost (if WB intend to complete the effects and so on) and the possibility that it is in fact significantly worse than the release version which would only serve to further highlight the ineptitude of all involved in the orchestration of the DCEU.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 See, I really like Man of Steel, BvS certainly has problems, the theatrical version especially - but again, I really quite like it.

I like what Snyder was going for. Without the exec's getting all flustered, we might have gotten an actual Man of Steel sequel before they fell back on the always bankable Batman and rushed Snyder's vision.

I don't actually think WB will work to complete the cut. Not without significant change in the power structure. Snyder fell out with someone there, and to compete and release the cut is tantamount to confirming that they're just a bunch of cash hungry suits who were wrong to fire Snyder and continue with aplomb to chase the Avengers money.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON @LN78 I guess if the Snyder cut is that different, with actual plot variance, then it would be strange to release it if it would alter the DCEU narrative direction and canon. But if the series isn’t going to be carried on anyways, then it might be worth a shot. Sounds like it is not likely to happen though.

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution I think it's highly unlikely to be anything but a fan undertaking, possibly with help from Snyder.

The original JL idea (well, post BvS) was a two parter. Steppenwolf was meant to try and revive Superman with the anti life equation and help turn him to Darkseid's cause. Batman's BvS nightmare was meant to be realised at the end of part 1 with part two being Superman's redemption and turn against Darkseid.

This condensed down to 1 film, which I think is where the reportedly 'unwatchable' screener came from. Snyder streamlined a lot of it, but he did shoot Darkseid scenes for JL.

LN78

@KALofKRYPTON @Th3solution There's a very informative new YT video by Heavy Spoilers that goes into detail about the differences between the release and Snyder versions of "Justice League." If you have a spare 15 minutes or so give it a look.

LN78

RogerRoger

As a staunch supporter of Batman V Superman, particularly in its extended form, but also as somebody who quite liked Justice League for what it eventually became, I'm in two minds. Would I love to see the original plan realised? Of course, but only as the full two-part epic it was meant to be, with Hans Zimmer (who said he'd never do another superhero film again) and all of the original cast (many of whom, including Ben Affleck, probably wouldn't return to complete unfinished work). And since that's unlikely to happen, I don't think I'd like to see any half-hearted attempt that'd inevitably fall short.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 I saw that. He's lifted a lot of that from other YouTubers.
Still not sure if the Jimmy Olsen thing was a joke or whether he's not actually sure who Marc McClure is.

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I'd like to see it. Even in a 'workprint' version.

I think Junkie XL would've maintained the Zimmer themes and what they collaborated on for BvS. Would've been a lot better than what Elfman slapped together.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic