Forums

Topic: The Health, Fitness and Exercise Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 643

render

@kyleforrester87 Nice wheels. Do you tend to have a couple of bikes, one for summer and one for winter? I haven't ridden much this winter but tend to just use the same bike all year.

Got out for a run on Saturday and managed to do around 17km with probably 80% of that off-road. That was after doing a few 2km with the kids while they rode their bikes but that was a pretty stop / start affair. I did have to keep telling myself I could make it towards the end though and getting back for a cuppa and some food was good motivation. I was hoping to try and get a few more runs in this week but that's not happened so far.

render

kyleforrester87

@render Thanks!

I've got this guy too:

https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/28816/products/saracen-hack-...

I've had it for 2-3 years and it's been my do everything bike, it's on the heavier side but it's got a good groupset/wheels and I have given it a hammering with the all weather commutes. So the new one will be fair weather only and the occasional sunny day commute.

I plan on getting some new carbon wheels to go on the new bike next year, at which point I'll have a spare set of wheels. I'm going to stick some gravel tyres on the spare set and then swap them in and out of the old bike as needed and do some trail riding. Well, that's the plan, anyway!

Where abouts do you ride?

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

render

@kyleforrester87 Looks like a great bike as well, and great having the disc brakes if you are going to take it on the trails. I've got a Pinarello Angliru which hasn't done me too badly really, but it's getting on a bit now and would love to get something newer. It's got a Campag group set on it so not bad and again has lasted well but I've got Shimano on my mountain bike which I'm definitely happier with, it just seems so much more direct.

I mainly ride around Staffordshire, but in previous years have done quite a few rides around the Peak District, both on and off road. I enjoy both but the Peaks can definitely be more challenging as there's some really good hills, some of which they've used on the Tour of Britain before.

render

kyleforrester87

@render Yes hydraulic disc brakes are fantastic, I really couldn't go back to mech brakes now. The new bike has electric gears so I wonder if I'll feel the same about mech shifters in a few months lol. Peak District is no joke, I used to ride my motorbike around there, hard enough getting up some of those hills with an engine! I have a friend up in Sheffield, it's my intention to visit him and take my bike along but I've been saying that for a while so who knows if it'll happen. I'll blame Covid!!

kyleforrester87

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 Nice looking bike, buddy! Makes me almost want to get out and ride. That seat looks a might uncomfortable though 😄
How easy is it to switch out wheels? When I used to bike a few years ago I would take my front wheel off and on without issue to haul it, but the back wheel was more of a pain my derrière than sitting in that little seat. I could never get the gears working right after I tried to take the rear wheel off.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution haha to be honest after a few rides in a short period the bum pain associated with harder seats goes away, once you’re used to it generally harder seats are more comfortable than ones with a lot of padding. Swapping wheels out is super easy, you shouldn’t have any issues with the gears afterwards unless you’re knocking the derailleur around in the process or putting a different wheel with a different cassette on.

Go for a ride!!! 😜

kyleforrester87

ralphdibny

I'm most of the way through the sixth week of the yoga schedule now. Had a bit of a weird week with it so I didn't feel like posting about it. I had a really good session on Friday last week but I just got really dizzy and weak during Mondays tape (same tape which is why it was weird) and I had to stop and rest for like 20 minutes mid tape and I could barely hold the positions when I went back into it anyway. Normally I do get a bit dizzy when i'm doing it anyway but it was really bad on Monday which is why I had to stop.

I felt a little shaken by it but I was fine on Wednesday and today so hopefully all good now. This is the first week that has four tapes too so I will be doing another one tomorrow. There will be 4 tapes every other week from now on. Also on Thursday, I made time to actually go for a walk for like an hour. Really glad I did because I've been putting it off for weeks. I'm going to try and go for a walk on every non yoga day from now on so hopefully I will be out again on Sunday.

@LieutenantFatman nice work on the cycling, running and kettlebells!

@kyleforrester87 nice bike! The weather is certainly looking more promising so hopefully you can get back to your usual distances!

@render good work on the run last week! did you manage to get out again this week in the end?

@Th3solution @kyleforrester87 ahh the coccyx pain from bike seats is awful! good to know you get used to it after a while. Even when i used the indoor bike a bit before christmas, I had to have a pile of cushions on the seat to get me through it!

See ya!

render

@ralphdibny That’s bad luck, sounds like it’s probably wise to take a break when that happens though.

I managed to get out a few times in the week and got 18km in today. Feeling pretty tired now though but good to get it done. I might do some tomorrow but will be a short slower one with the kids on their bikes.

render

kyleforrester87

25 miles today, I went up and down the steep hill in Richmond Park 4 times. It’s not all that steep but you’re certainly out of breath at the top if you give it some. I really need to improve my cardio, thinking of doing some proper interval training.

My sat nav is locked and loaded for a 50 mile loop to Box Hill tomorrow but it depends on the weather and if I wake up feeling like I can be bothered 😬

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

I managed it in the end, it worked out at 100km - great views from the top looking out to southern England. My legs are shredded and my arms ache like hell!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

kyleforrester87

render

@kyleforrester87 Those are some awesome views, they definitely make it worthwhile.

I enjoyed my run with the kids on their bikes yesterday but that turned out to be just 7 miles in the end with a stop at the park 😆

render

kyleforrester87

@render I dont think i drank enough water during, and combined with some beers in the evening I am paying for it a bit today. My brain is all foggy! lol

kyleforrester87

ralphdibny

Managed to go for another hour long 3 mile walk yesterday and do a yoga today. Going to go for a walk tomorrow fingers crossed. Definitely better to keep active every day I think.

@render cheers, yeah im not sure what causes the dizzyness, whether its the moving up and down quickly or the abnormal breathing. Like trying to breathe in and out at the right time and kind of losing my place if you know what I mean. Well done on the runs!

@kyleforrester87 good work on the cycling! Nice pics by the way, you always post some picturesque scenes - keep it up!

See ya!

Thrillho

I managed to get out on Sunday for my first 5k run since injuring my hamstring. My leg felt fine and it was so good to get out again, especially with the weather being a bit nicer now!

Thrillho

kyleforrester87

For the first time, I did some intervals on the bike in Hyde Park this evening. 40 seconds flat out, with 20 seconds of recovery x 8. Then a slow lap of the park and then the same again, so 16 40 second max efforts total.

To be honest after the first 3 I was really struggling.

I think I need to be doing more of that.

kyleforrester87

ralphdibny

Had a shorter yoga tape today. It's called "red hot core" - it's only 15 minutes but it's not an easy tape to do! I think it was supposed to be kind of an introduction to it though because from now on in the schedule, it gets tacked on to the end of a different tape. Those days are going to be pretty heavy!

@Thrillho good to hear your hammy has healed up! Nice work on the run

@kyleforrester87 that sounds quite interesting. I've never really heard of intervals on a bike. I'm guessing Hyde park isn't too busy at the moment so it's possible to go flat out? Anyway, nice one! Keep it up!

See ya!

kyleforrester87

@ralphdibny there’s some pretty long and wide cycle paths so it sort of works!

You must be a bit more flexible than you were after all this yoga!

kyleforrester87

ralphdibny

@kyleforrester87 ah fair enough sounds good!

Haha maybe a bit more flexible but not much. I think I've always been a bit more flexible than I look though and I can do a few positions that are supposed to be challenging. I think my main weaknesses are upper body strength and balance.

There's a position coming up in a later video that they call the "hood ornament". I can't remember the brand of car it's supposed to look like but it's kind of a one legged peacock type shape. I struggled quite a bit with that one last time I did this programme.

I'm crap at planks too and I really struggle to do even a single push up and that's been the case my whole life. I can do sit ups and different crunch variations though. Obviously if it's a really hard variation then I can't do very many of them.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

kyleforrester87

@ralphdibny Being able to do a couple of pushups should be a goal for you (and once you can do a couple it's pretty easy to build them up).

If you struggle to do 1 decent push-up, start on your knees and just do it with your upper body. You should be able to do a good few like that. Do it every day and I bet you can manage a proper push up or two after a couple of weeks. If you can't do them on your knees then do them stood up with your palms against a wall at a slight angle.

No excuses

I don't consider myself very good at push-ups but I have been doing them regularly on and off for the past 15 years. My arthritis messed my left elbow up and I got lazy and had a lot of muscle waste on that arm that I have only been serious about trying to fix over the past 6 months (I've made a lot of progress!). I can manage 60 push ups (6 reps x 10 sets with a 30 second break between sets) or 20-25 in one go, which isn't bad but it's certainly not amazing. I've always wanted to be able to do 100 straight push-ups, I followed a plan once and got to about 50 but... it's hard!!!

I use this, and mix up the 10 sets that I do to target different areas:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Risefit-Push-Up-Board-Comprehensive/...

kyleforrester87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic