Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 8,641 to 8,660 of 10,093

MatthewJP

@nessisonett aside from the daily standing charge (an amount everyone pays to stay connected regardless of usage) you do only pay for what you use, but usually on an annual cycle so to speak.
For example I pay £150 every month regardless. Months where I use less than £150 eg summer, I'm building credit. So in winter when I use more than £150, the built-up credit helps cover it. Come next summer if I still have a large amount of excess credit then I'd request that to be refunded, or lower the monthly payments.
Have you checked your account to see what the credit/debit situation is?
Those on pre-payment meters are much like the old days of topping up credit on a mobile phone pay as you go.
As for companies making massive profits, that's another story.

PSN: mpquikster

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett maybe you’ve been underpaying through the summer and they are now recouping the debt plus current use, or they have increased it now based on projected use through the winter so you don’t get a huge bill in Spring, or a combination of both. They are known to go a little OTT with estimated use sometimes I believe. Give them a ring, if there is scope to reduce it they certainly will. Ultimately if you overpay through the winter you’ll pay less when they next review, or get a refund, though.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

@JudgeDredd @MatthewJP @kyleforrester87 I had a look and we seem to be £180 in credit but will have to pay £201 in December to break even for the end of the year. There’s absolutely no way that we’re expected to use £381 worth of energy in December so the only explanation I can think of is that the energy company is basically just taking the piss.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

MatthewJP

@nessisonett in which case you'll remain in credit into the new year which'll help in the cold months of Jan and Feb. Despite the ridiculous costs of each unit of gas and electricity, the energy company is not pocketing any overpayment you make, it'll remain on your account

PSN: mpquikster

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett My electric bill monthly payment has gone up from 80 quid this time last year to 130 quid just after new year and now to 200 quid this month. Good thing we get that 60 quid credit every month until next April.

I live in a 1 bedroom house on my own and I work I the office Monday to Friday 9 - 5. I always take my meter readings and my bill is always higher then the estimated ones I get, and they were just as high in the summer than in the winter, which I don't understand.

I have changed a couple of things this time as I noticed my hot water was heating up throughout the day instead of only during off peak hours, which I've changed now. And I understand how to use the storage heaters more this time round, so hopefully that will reduce it a bit.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

kyleforrester87

@JohnnyShoulder if you were heating your hot water tank 24/7 your electric use will be big! You should have a dual rate meter for the storage heaters, ideally, to charge them up during off peak times

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 Yeah the hot water it should only kick in during off peak hours and and that usually lasts me a couple of days. It had a new element installed earlier this year so that might have fudged up timer, but I've sorted it now so it comes kick in during the early hours.

Yeah my storage heaters only warm up over night, but you can manually override them to pump out heat, which is what I was doing last year lol. Once you have the temp right it makes the whole house nice and toasty, and I don't need put the standalone heater on in the bedroom or the under floor heating on in the bath room. Those last two things are obviously more expensive than using the storage heaters.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@Kairu Yeah, Noisy pops in every once and a while, but must be pretty busy. I did see he commented yesterday on the PSVR2, so I know he’s alive! 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Kairu Although he and I aren’t acquainted in person, I have no doubt. A legend indeed. I do miss his forum megapolls. I helped out with the last one in 2020 and it was a ton of work (well… not “work” as it was really fun and totally voluntary, but it took a good amount of time and effort) so I just can’t carry the mantle for keeping those going due to my lack of time.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @Kairu I think he posts mainly on Pure Xbox since he went over to team Green.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder If he’s running a Megapoll over there then I’m going to be very disappointed. 😉

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution That would be a kick in the teeth 😂

WiiWareWave

HOLY WOW! Just read quite a telling article regarding the state of our education in the USA and it was eye-opening. Most 12th graders are at 5th-6th grade level on most subjects and apparently 42% of all high school graduates last year didn't even have basic reading skills and in some cases were below 1st grade reading level.

Good god our country is SO screwed.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Th3solution

@TowaHerschel7 There’s likely to be huge regional differences, so I’d take those statistics with a grain of salt.

I wouldn’t doubt that the public educational system in most States is subpar. We’ve all seen those interviews on the street where average citizens are asked simple questions like “Who won the American Civil War?” or “Point to North America on this map” and people are sometimes completely clueless.

nomither6

@TowaHerschel7 funny story - i wasn’t supposed to graduate high school because i was failing algebra and had to retake the SAT for it , & fortunately the teacher that was in charge of overseeing the students that had to retake gave me the answers . i barely felt guilty when graduation hit , but i was way more happy that i finally got the ***** out of grade school 🤣🤣

everyone knows the american school system is flawed

Edited on by nomither6

nomither6

LtSarge

@RogerRoger On a scale from 1-10, how excited are you for Sonic Frontiers after the Showdown trailer?

I think I'm honestly more excited for it than God of War. Because I mean, we know what to expect from God of War. It's more God of War. While I don't know what to expect from Sonic Frontiers at all and that makes me excited. Will the open world work well with linear levels? What will the story be like (or if there's even a story)? What will the gameplay be like (combat etc.)? It could turn out to be one of the the best Sonic games ever made. I just hope it turns out to be good at least lol.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 Think it was from the the jam on his toast.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic