Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 6,001 to 6,020 of 10,090

ralphdibny

@Thrillho oh dear I am so sorry, my condolences. I'm not in that thread normally because I don't have a ps5 and probably won't for some time unless a magpie drops one as it flies over my house. Hopefully you get it resolved to your satisfaction sooner rather than later!

See ya!

Octane

Social media is down, the end of the world is nigh.

Octane

Thrillho

I thought I'd carry the conversation over here @BAMozzy @Arugula @Voltan @Th3solution but I still have all of my Sony consoles, including my PS1 with it's snazzy (ahem) Ferrari F1 sticker kit

My PS3 is the only one that ever had problems before with the YLOD but I found someone who repaired it easily enough. It was after that incident I first signed up for PS+ for the cloud saving feature!

I also happen to have an even older console in the "Grandstand TV Game 2000" which is somewhere. I literally had to rescue this from my grandad's bin as he threw it out!

Untitled

Thrillho

BAMozzy

@Thrillho I moved into a much smaller house back in 2013 so had to get rid of a LOT of my old stuff. I don't have an Attic or external shed/garage so storage is significantly reduced. As such, I got rid of basically everything prior to what was 'current'. I through away games, hardware etc going back to the 70's, several different home computers (Vic20, CPC464, Amiga, several PC's) as well as consoles and boxes and boxes of games.

My PS1 and PS2 went, all my games I gave to one son as he still had a few PS1's and PS2's, My N64 went to another son, but everything else went to the tip as I had to move too quickly to try and sell. My PS3 Phat has the YLOD too so keeping the old PS1/2 games was pointless. I got rid of my older consoles as the Phat played the games but my replacement Slim didn't. I kept my OG Xbox because not all games were playable on the 360 - and now with BC on some, I'm glad I still kept the games too.

I did think about trying to get the PS3 Phat repaired - the original day 1 60GB Phat! However, I bought a 360GB Slim and then the PS4 came out and I stopped playing PS3 so the reason to repair is non-existent.

Since I have been here, we have had 2 generations release. I moved here a few months before the PS4/XB1 consoles released so I have added those. Its crazy to think that in the past 8yrs (as its coming up now), I have purchased 7 consoles - all different too - PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, XB1, XB1S, XB1X and Series X.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Th3solution

@Thrillho @BAMozzy @Arugula @Voltan @Th3solution I still have my PS2 (in a box) and my PS3 (on a shelf but hasn’t been turned on in ages). The 2 was cheaper and easier to replace, with the whole memory card situation. The 3 was a pain when it died. I desperately tried to resurrect it by doing the heat-up techniques (I didn’t put it in the oven, but I fashioned a heating chamber with a blow dryer and a cardboard box) and it worked again for a short time — long enough to create save back ups, after which I traded it in for a new model. Yeah, cloud saves are a godsend. 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

@Thrillho that thing is awesome! The oldest console I own is an Atari Jr which some friends bought me for my 22nd birthday. Tons of games with it but they are mostly trash. I started off with a SNES so my nostalgia pretty much ends there, I find it much harder to get into <8bit than I do with 16 bit games. I'd still love to pick up some older bits of kit though just because I like collecting it.

Oh yeah I just remembered I have a commodore amiga a1200 (or something) in the loft. I remember trading a pair of nunchuks for it when I was a teenager (it was a different time back then 😅). Not sure if that's older than the Atri Jr or not.

I think I have over 40 different consoles in total which includes iterations like PS3 phat/PS3 slim etc

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Thrillho

@Voltan @ralphdibny The best thing is I discovered a “cheat” mode on it; the football game gives you two pong bats on each team but if you put the switch slightly between football and tennis, one team gets three

Thrillho

Kidfried

@Thrillho That Grandstar thing looks great.

It reminds me of the Philips Odyssey 2100 I saved from the garbage bin when their grandparents died.

I really loved to play on that thing as a drinking game during my student years. It's still on display in my living room (not my tv room), but I don't know if I still have the utilities to hook it up anymore.... Hm.

Kidfried

andreoni79

What am I doing here? I have been silent recently because of various problems: facing a new job, looking for a new flat to move into, taking care of my mum... Well, Thursday she passed away, dying literally in my arms. My friends offered their help in these days, but I still needed to be alone as always. I found some relief in poetry, some in alcohol and medecines but quite none in gaming. It's ok for a while as my mind is focused elsewhere, but what happens on the screen looks just stupid. I finished Detroit and tried some action with Guacamelee (the 2 games I was currently playing) but I felt like a robot doing unecessary tasks. Maybe it's time to give The Journey a chance.
I'm wondering if there's a title that helped some of you in a similar situation...

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Jimmer-jammer

@andreoni79 I can’t directly answer your question but just wanted to reach out and offer a sentiment. Grief is a process and the flurry of emotions we go through, from highs to lows, are normal and healthy and part of the healing process. I’m glad to hear you have support, and as you feel more comfortable, I would encourage you to be open to their help. Day by day is all we have, this too shall pass.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

RogerRoger

@andreoni79 Damn. You have my sincere condolences for your loss.

Apologies for stating the obvious but, for a while, nothing will feel the same. It's right that it won't. Give yourself the time and space that you need, and you'll eventually find something that helps. Don't continue with, or revisit, the games you were playing around such a tragic time, as they'll forever remind you of this moment. Your impulse is to find something new, so trust it.

For me personally, I lean on old favourites for emotional support; games I know inside-out, that I could almost play with my eyes closed. They give me some surface-level nostalgic comfort but, more importantly, they keep my hands busy whilst my brain sorts itself out.

So yeah, if you're not big on replaying games, maybe something simple and upbeat like an old platformer, or something with a lot of busywork, like a LEGO game.

But that's just me. Whatever works for you, I hope it works soon. Stay safe.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@andreoni79 Jeez, I know no amount of words can help but I really am sorry for what you’re going through. I would say something with lots of busywork is a great idea, perhaps a Lego game like @RogerRoger says, or The Witness. Something that will hold your attention without being too flashy or in your face.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@andreoni79 I’m so sorry to hear about that. Like Rog says, there’s no right answer to anything for grief. When my sister died, I just needed stuff to focus on, whether that was getting back to work or having a game to lose myself in for a bit. Even that last bit will depend on you and whether you want something mindless you can switch of and enjoy, some deep narrative to take your whole focus for a while, or just to step away from it for a bit.

I can only imagine it being even harder with everything going on in the world right now and particularly with so much going on your life all at the same time. Don’t be afraid to take people up on their offers of help at some point either and don’t worry about writing stuff out on here either if it helps.

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic