Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 4,041 to 4,060 of 10,078

JohnnyShoulder

@andreoni79 Ooof be careful googling what I say, god knows what rabbit hole you'll end up in!

Pimp my Ride is an American TV show and I quote wikipedia "Watch Xzibit and his supercool entourage make someone's day, transforming broken down, junkyard jalopies into mean machines with deadly gadgets that some would kill for."

And junk is slang for, well I think you work that one out.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

andreoni79

Well, it looks like I have installed the Google Extremely Polite Edition...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Th3solution

And to think there was a time not long ago when Rockstar got blasted in the media for “hot coffee.” Lol, seems so tame by today’s standards. Now we have fully customizable genitals and explicit sex in the first person in a major AAA game. So far, I’ve not seen any outcry from the censorship camps in the media. (Granted, I’m not searching for it though)

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@andreoni79 You may have safe search enabled which will not show some results.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@TrueAssassin86x Jeez, that guy. When even PewDiePie (didn’t actually apologise, he sticks to his edgy rep) for appearing in a stream with him, you know there’s a problem. MtG finally got rid of him and I had no idea he was even still on YT.

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@Kidfried In general or from something I said?

Rudy_Manchego

@Gremio108 That is a great idea and I thought that (technically I have an OG game boy but I try my and keep it hidden from the kids). So I thought a good quality handheld emulator in GB style. Floated the idea and she says she can’t go back to GB Tetris after all the visuals of Tetris Effect. She finished the campaign on normal last night and now she wants to get highly on the world rankings.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Jaz007

@nessisonett What? The quartering? Not what you meant about PewDiePie, but the quartering’s a pretty good channel if you ask me. He has reasonable and thought out opinions. That video feels a little weird, but I don’t see the reason for said “customization” in the first place honestly. I’m in the “but why?” crowd there.

Jaz007

nessisonett

@Jaz007 He’s part of the whole ‘gamers are under threat’ crowd. Not to mention the fact Wizards of the Coast actually put out a statement because of the targeted harassment he led against a female cosplayer. I refuse to listen to a man who tweets things written like “WOKE Captain Marvel Fans RAGE That Brie Larson DARES To Wear Makeup In The Avengers Endgame Film”. He’s also one of the main voices raging about Naughty Dog with awful inflammatory videos about things being too ‘woke’ and ‘sjw’. The rage culture just isn’t helping, the gaming community has a bad enough rep already. He openly makes videos with Count Dankula, a man I’m ashamed is from the same country as me and stood for UKIP at the European Elections which should tell you all you need to know about him. TheQuartering is literal scum of the earth, making videos laughing at women missing out on equal pay, spouting nonsense about men being under threat from the ‘feminist agenda’, being crazy transphobic etc. He even supports Tommy Robinson despite being American. There’s a clear difference between differing political views and being a massive bigot.

RogerRoger

Without wishing to appear controversial, I can see growing trends which give licence for nasty individuals to spread their toxicity. I'm not trying to excuse them here, but I think it's important to recognise the issues that have caused them to react in this way; otherwise, we risk letting a few unhinged click-bait bigots drown out polite conversation about the ever-changing nature of society.

Let's take the topic of diversity. Television has been enjoying plenty of diversity in its content for many years, but they've been "getting away with it" because there are thousands of shows, across hundreds of channels and networks. People can, to a degree, pick what they'd like to see; Glee is on at the same time as Duck Dynasty. Now that a lot of diversity discourse has reached cinema (at which there are only a popular dozen, maybe fifteen, movies in any given year) and gaming (a medium from which your average punter samples Triple-A content five times per year, if that) people are going to recognise it more. The things creators are saying now echo much louder, around the insides of much smaller bubbles.

One would argue that this is the entire point of "elevating the discussion" but, when you see such a sharp increase everywhere you turn, it's difficult to ignore... and, when you're stuck in a cinema or halfway through a thirty-hour game, you can't exactly change the channel. I'm pretty liberal (now) and even I've rolled my eyes at some of the more extreme examples in recent years; I just do it privately, and not in front of a webcam to the delight of a hundred thousand subscribers (a large percentage of whom would most likely be watching me ironically anyway).

Think of representation like a boat; everybody on deck has been leaning over starboard for so long, any sudden rush to port is gonna rock it. Many will get scared, panic and become seasick, because it'll feel like the boat is sinking. It isn't, though. It's just balancing itself out.

My point it, there are ways to present these delicate social issues and address people's fears. Hopefully it's more akin to what I'm doing here, rather than slapping an all-caps title on a YouTube diatribe.

But this is the internet, so I'm probably being far too rational.

Remember to like and subscribe.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger You’re pretty much spot on here. Since the bigots fail to separate actual progress towards diversity in media, be that games, TV, movies, from faux-liberalism generated to make money, they’ll tar everything with the same brush. Disney et al. don’t care that they’re risking a shift in the public paradigm towards far-right mentalities, they’re making trillions from throwing scraps like ‘first gay kiss in a Star Wars movie’ (in the background) or ‘first LGBT+ character in a Pixar movie’ (a cop that looks like a troll, great lesbian representation there). I wonder if in the 60s there were people saying “That Jim Crow stuff was a bit harsh but black people are just in my face too much, in my bathrooms, my buses, my classrooms, my workplace and it feels like they’re everywhere. I’m not racist but maybe they should just stay indoors.”

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I think it's history repeating itself, to a lesser degree. Warmongers hitch their wagons to religion, corrupting it as justification for their hatred; now racists, sexists and bigots are seeing greater diversity promoted (genuinely or cynically) and using it as an excuse to enhance people's underlying fears, or project their own onto a wider audience.

Because I know there have been centuries of repression for many, I'm conscious of that and like to think I'm sensitive to those issues, but it doesn't mean I want to suddenly run the other way, and start seeing every woman in every movie I watch somehow best a dumb male counterpart. Do I sit here, watching things or playing games and secretly hoping that the nice character I like will turn out to be gay? Sure I do, but it'd be weird and uncomfortable if it happened every single time.

As a result of the current attention on such things, it actually makes me a little nervous when I watch or play things nowadays because, if there is a "diversity nod" included, it's either ashamed of itself or cringeworthily preachy. Both shatter my immersion.

Roll on the day when labels don't matter. We're all just people, after all.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I look forward to the day when we go Minority Report style and games personalise themselves by reading all data stored about us. Some get to play Red Dead 14 as a member of the KKK and others play as a 7 foot tall mecha-cowboy who exclusively dates men named Brian. #ForAllThePlayers

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Red Dead 14 putting forward a pretty specific binary choice of protagonists there! "Do I want to be the racist, or the gay Iron Giant?"

Besides, my mecha-cowboy would only date Jasons.

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@nessisonett @RogerRoger Times have changed and so too Standards. A ton of games and TV are now truly dark and gritty. As they sell and have been allowed to thrive. They wouldnt have got passed the drawing board 20 years ago. Game of Thrones with everyone being cut up.

Sex sells, just flick on a music channel for half an hour and you will have so much stuff in the ***** bank you won't need to watch it again for a year. Again 25 years ago it was slight titillation and nothing overly gregorious.

Then you have access to sex at almost anytime on the Web. You don't even have to pop the newsagents anymore.

So with everything available, viewable at any time you want due to catch up TV and box sets. What else is there to go after and dissect?

Oh yeah that one lesbian kiss in Star Wars.

The conversation is a none starter put into context. Everything taboo from yesteryear is out there all of the time. The same people actively arguing against gay kisses are of a similar mindset to the people who thought Mortal Kombat was the root of all evil in the 90s.

Edited on by antdickens

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Kidfried

@nessisonett no you are great, it was in response to the video you were replying too. sorry!

Kidfried

andreoni79

@nessisonett @RogerRoger @themcnoisy I'm currently reading the 35th and last volume of The Year's Best Science Fiction. So far in the first nine short novels if I consider their main protagonist we have:
2 heterosexual females
2 heterosexual males
4 lesbians
1 alien who decides to live on Earth as a gay male
Just saying for the statistics...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic