Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,101 to 3,120 of 10,078

Th3solution

@Frigate We need a hurricane setting for a video game. Have some kind of in game timer to collect provisions, build a survival plan, and then take on the storm. Afterwards it would convert into a post-catastrophe survival game where you defend your stash and rebuild.
....Actually I’m sure that’s already been done.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

DerMeister

Been spending a lot of time playing 2D fighting games on arcade stick. After EVO this year, I've been hit with the fighting bug like crazy, and whenever I'm not working on the backlog, I've been training. The main games I want to play are Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Dragon Ball FighterZ, and Under Night In-Birth (A.K.A. The one with the silly name). It's been an uphill climb, but hopefully I'll get better. Arcade stick takes some practice, but the precision is better than a controller.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

KALofKRYPTON

@DerMeister Cool. A few of my friends run a local Fighting Game night. They're all stick players too and have been pretty deep in to SFV since release. I mostly can't compete with them and haven't been on SFV in a good while. Still quite fancy getting GGXrdRev, and perpetually tempted to download BlazBlue for the Vita again...

Alpha 3 Max is my absolute jam though for fighters.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

DerMeister

@KALofKRYPTON I think Guilty Gear is a good time. It's deep but still good if you want to pick up and play. The "gatling" combo system makes it easier to do combos compared to Street Fighter, so it's a bit more accessible than the usual games. Also has an awesome soundtrack.

Alpha 3 is probably still my favorite Street Fighter. It's a game I just have a good time with no matter what.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

RogerRoger

For the first time ever, I'm actually excited about some clothes I've ordered.

Specifically t-shirts. I've always kinda had little choice over what to wear (uniforms, formal office-appropriate attire, sports or outdoors gear, etc.) so in between, just chucked on any ol' top over some jeans and trainers; usually one block colour, and usually black at that.

But now that I'm a little more free to be myself, I've ordered some nerdy t-shirts (because why the heck not?) and it's turned out to be the highlight of my week thusfar.

This feels... odd.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@RogerRoger If you want to share, what nerdy T-shirts did you order? I'm interested to hear what nerdy merch (or non-merch) caught your eye!

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Well, it's me, so Star Wars was a big part of it.

But I also got a Mass Effect t-shirt, specifically one with a picture of a hanar with the caption "Big Stupid Jellyfish" beneath it, as well as one with artwork of Sonic and Tails dressed up as Batman and Robin. I was thinking of other game-related t-shirts, but many of them are just logos, or are things I like in private but don't necessarily wanna endorse in public, like Hitman. I also reckon that walking around with a big picture of Lara Croft on my chest would send out the wrong message!

Was really pleased with the Star Wars t-shirts I found, though. There's a huge number of official designs on Amazon, so huge that they've got a bunch of characters that I actually like (once you've trawled past the hundreds from the "good" movies). I got some really cool-lookin' artwork featuring Darth Maul, Clonetroopers and Jango Fett, plus a fun one with Jar Jar Binks on.

At least now I'll look like I belong in my nerd cave of an apartment.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger
Redbubble.com

You’ll thank me later.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution ...you mean where I got that Mass Effect t-shirt from?

But you still have my thanks.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Haha! Ah, yes — “Great minds...” and all that jazz. I should have known.

Tjuz

@RogerRoger Sounds like the perfect combination to show your tastes off from what I know of you! I love that you got a hanar t-shirt of all things. Finally those poor hanar get some well deserved recognition, even if the shirt itself is quoting something making fun of them, haha.

I'm glad you found some cool Star Wars shirts too, even if I know absolutely nothing about the franchise. Shame about Hitman, but probably the right choice... unless you ever want to become Ageht 47 himself.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Thanks; given that I could probably cosplay Agent 47 with what I used to wear for part of my job, I think I should look elsewhere for inspiration!

I love the hanar. Calling one a "big, stupid jellyfish" is a great line, but I could never bring myself to say it in any of my playthroughs; I've only ever heard it on YouTube. There are a couple Blasto designs out there as well, but I thought the design I picked was a bit more subtle.

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@RogerRoger Ha! Blasto t-shirts definitely would be extravagant, I imagine. It's a shame the hanar kind of lost any and all prominence after the first Mass Effect, although I guess you could say the same for other races like the elcor and the volus. I would've loved to see more on any of those races, but alas.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Never really liked the volus, but the hanar and elcor were, and are, awesome. I'd have loved a squadmate from either species, no matter how tricky that would've been to implement!

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@RogerRoger We should've gotten Blasto as a squadmate. Just temporarily, for one mission or something. Make it a mission where he's shooting a movie but it turns out the baddie actors are replaced with actual baddies or something. It would've been perfect tor the Citadel DLC!

Tjuz

andreoni79

I hope Formula 1 will be abolished after what happened this afternoon... What a depressing mess!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Ralizah

Moving the discussion from the "Recently Beaten" thread since I'm about to start getting long-winded about an unrelated game.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy That's surprising! Super Mario World is such a beloved game. I just kind of assume it's one of those games every gamer has at least heard of.

It's alright. I didn't hate it or anything. It's probably better than most 16-bit platformers out there. I just... didn't get a lot out of it, and while I appreciate the developers trying to create something radically different from SMB3, I feel like it's an inferior experience overall.

I wouldn't recommend people away from it, though. Aspects of its design really just didn't resonate with me, which is always a risk, but that's clearly not the case with most people who have experienced it. It's still a polished experience.

@LN78 A lot of people seem to like the creativity and design diversity of Galaxy 2, and I can understand that. The game is more challenging, and, on its own terms, it's a fun little game filled with different power-ups and mechanics. I've heard Nintendo used that game to flesh out various ideas that didn't make the cut for Galaxy, and, honestly, it feels like that: an expansive, playful cutting room floor full of gorgeous props and sets that are great in their own right, but didn't really jive with the mood of Galaxy. If we think of video games as elaborate toys designed to amuse and entertain, then Galaxy 2 is absolutely better.

But it's missing the things I loved about Galaxy. Galaxy is a masterpiece in a variety of ways. It has one of the greatest video game soundtracks ever, and, this can't be overstated, so much of Galaxy works just because of how sweeping the soundtrack is. It's equal parts whimsical, elegant, epic, and melancholic. That cocktail of feels is essential to the evolving emotional narrative of the game.

Consider the way the Observatory theme evolves from the very minimalistic first one...

...to the emotional, gorgeous third version...

...as you power up and explore the ship over the course of the game.

Simultaneously, you're exploring more of the universe on your epic cosmic trek and learning more about Rosalina, your mysterious benefactor, via the storybook chapters that unlock throughout the game (there's actually a sense of ambiguity here at first, because the game doesn't come right out and scream "THIS IS BACKSTORY!", which was a good move, I think).

I absolutely love how the storybook music combines a gentle sense of childhood innocence with an edge of melancholy. It's a beautiful sound:

Once The Reveal drops, of course, the music changes, and suddenly the sadness is overwhelming the gentle nostalgia:

I could post so many more songs from this game. The adventurous tunes that play as you set out across various galaxies. The frightening, dramatic music that accompanies Bowser (who, in practically a series first, is treated as a serious threat). Main point being, as you journey across the cosmos to save your beloved, the music goes on a journey with you.

The level design is this great halfway point between the exploratory openness of the sandboxy 3D Mario games and the 'obstacle course' design of 2D entries and 3D Land/World. It broadly directs you in a certain way, but there's often a lot of room to explore and play around. This isn't universally true, of course, and some levels are very linear, but the game in general does a good job of not making you feel like you're being funneled down a tunnel.

Not a fan of waggle or pointer controls, but both are utilized expertly here, with pointer controls being used to attract Star Bits and waggle being used to control Mario's oh-so-satisfying spin.

While the final boss could have been more challenging in Galaxy, the glorious music, vast stakes (Bowser has grand ambitions about seizing control of the universe here, which is a bit of a step up from -just- kidnapping a princess), and surprisingly cosmic and emotional climax (Never would have guessed a Mario game would end with sentient stars sacrificing themselves to stop a supermassive black hole from swallowing a galaxy, but here we are) makes it memorable.

And, of course, you have the challenging post-game and side content.

Galaxy 2 offers little, comparatively. Galaxy 2 sacrifices the gorgeous observatory, one of the best hub levels in series history, for some horrible ship that looks like Mario's face, for some reason. It has no story or emotional stakes. The world map is like some straight line from galaxy to galaxy, making it feel less like an adventure and more like a pack of mostly unrelated levels on a disc.

On a side note, despite not being crazy about Galaxy 2 and REALLY not liking SM64, I just love Galaxy 2's amazing remix of an iconic theme from 64 in the Throwback Galaxy:

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

I know there's a Mario RPG for SNES... But I've honestly only because of people clamouring for another one like it. Hadn't heard of Super Mario World at all in the slightest @Ralizah.

Heard of all the others of course like Yoshi's Island, Wario Land etc... I think it was because as I said in the games you beat topic the mario games just didn't interest me back then.

I ended up liking Super Mario 2 (Even if it's some other game with a Mario skin and the actual two is Lost Levels) the best... If only cus I could play as Peach and her float ability was cool.

But three was nice too and those airship levels were pretty good!

I know it's mainly more for LN78 but wow you certainly are passionate there about Super Mario Galaxy! It honestly really makes me want to try it.

But I have no clue where my Wii is... or if it even works still 😅

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

You forgot to mention doesn't think much of FFVII @kyleforrester87

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic