Forums

Topic: PUSH SQUARE GAME CLUB | MAY | Dave the Diver 🐠🦑🤿

Posts 721 to 740 of 758

Th3solution

@sorteddan @CaptD You both have really made some nice progress. I’m ashamed to report that my own pace has been much slower. I have only played an hour or two since my last update. With this month flying by at breakneck speed (seriously, there’s just about a week left until May!) I certainly won’t get anywhere near completing the game by the end of month.

I do think it’s one I’ll stick with though. I like the gameplay loop and the whole relationship and collecting aspects. The pace needed to be ramped up, to be sure, but I’m glad to have a Fire Emblem: Three Houses type of game on PlayStation. At least I think I’ve read that this game is similar in structure, just with a Marvel backdrop and the strategy battle system has the card deck builder coating on it. Maybe someone who has a Switch and played Three Houses can confirm.

Speaking of, I did (finally!) acquire a PlayStation Portal and part of my last few days has been messing around with that, and so it’s taken some of my gaming time. I’ll post more on that personal adventure in a separate appropriate thread, but Midnight Suns looks to be a perfect game for the device.

My only major complaints about the game other than the pacing is still the cheap knock-off feel of the writing and some voice acting. That statement makes it sound a lot worse than it actually is, but I do feel like the narrative and character structure is caught between being a related extension of the MCU and being its own thing. Again, I can’t help but compare it to Insomniac’s Spider-Man and its treatment of the source material, and Sony just did a much better job of straddling that line. Midnight Suns is closer to the Avengers game in that regard where the characters are an uncanny representation of their silver screen counterparts and it can be distracting. I’ll admit that I have no knowledge of the original comic book source material, so that ignorance might be making it come across more MCU ‘copycat’ to me. Perhaps the MCU movies also come across a weird half versions of the comic book characters, in which case this version of them is probably more par-for-the-course of an adaptation. But it’s pretty clear that you’ve got, for example, Tony Stark’s VA doing his best Robert Downey Jr impersonation rather than making the character his own. Whereas Dr Strange and Scarlet Witch seem like a different version of their respective characters, with Spider-Man and Captain Marvel being somewhere in between. In fact, SM/Peter Parker being voiced by Yuri Lowenthal makes it that much more disorienting, ironically.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

sorteddan

Ok I think I've played enough now to be able to have an opinion so I'm just gonna come out and say it...

I really don't care what costume the characters are wearing or what colour it is.
Yes controversial I know but that's just how I feel.
The game really seems to want me to care, like most times I open legendary chest i'm rewarded with a couple of legendary palettes. I don't even check who they are for or what they look like. Now if the costumes actually changed anything like buffing stats or specific abilities then I'd be more inclined to check things out but making Ghost Rider wear green ... Meh. Maybe it's just me.

@Th3solution
I kind of know what you mean about the voice acting, especially regarding Iron Man doing an less than impressive impression of Iron Man. I also think whenever Dr Strange pops up I think wait you're not that Cumberbatch bloke. Think I've just been brainwashed by decades of MCU.

Made it to act 3 and completed the first couple of missions today. And @CaptD you were probably right about me going for the plat... I seem to have been going out of my way to tick off the random trophies like defeating a villain with a combo and using 3 legendary moves in one battle etc. Think it's gonna require NG+ for the dark balance though, oh well it's not like I have anything better to do.

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Th3solution

@Bundersvessel I have a vote but I’m reluctant to give it because I suspect I won’t have the time to play it and I don’t want to sway the result and then not participate. I’m likely going to still be playing Midnight Suns for much of May since I got a late start and have been behind ever since.

Suffice it to say that if I make faster progress than anticipated and time opens up then I may jump in, depending on the game. There’s about 3 games on the list that I’m curious enough to try, and one that is a definite to play from my backlog.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

CaptD

@Bundersvessel How about Raji : An ancient epic? A short game i believe, on Ps Plus Extra.
But I'm happy to go with the flow, I know Dave the Diver is on the list but I was going to delay that for a patch or two as I heard it was a little crash prone. This might have been fixed in a recent patch but I was going to wait and see how things go.

CaptD

CaptD

@sorteddan So I've unlocked the Light trophy and I'm thinking I should just start dumping into the Dark side. Is that what you are doing? Or do you expect the Light/Dark stat to just reset on NG+?
I expect it to reset but if it doesn't then it is best to start a NG otherwise it will take twice the amount to swing it from one extreme to the other.

CaptD

sorteddan

Well I've just watched the credits roll on Marvels Midnight Suns... and the expected Marvel end credit scenes..

The end battle was spectacularly epic and im not going to give any of the mechanics or gimmicks away but I would recommend you head into it with a somewhat balanced squad. I do like how the game encouraged me to mix and match in this regard, rather than just focussing on a couple of heroes as I was planning to. However saying that I will stick with my earlier assertion that Nico is awesome!

It does seem a shame that Hulk joins the game so late in the day though. He could have been fun to smash around with.

Took around 65 hours all told which is the most hours I've put into any game for a long while. Also did it in around mid 60s game days so you can probably figure out averages from that yourselves.

There were a few issues that I mentioned in earlier posts that would have made it better or more enjoyable for me but the vast amount of hours I've put in over the last few weeks suggest I did really enjoy it regardless.

@CaptD
My first thought was to do both in one run but a few internet sources suggest it would be quicker to do in NG+. Yes the light/dark balance does reset, you can skip all cut scenes, have all early/plot conversations again and if you only have dark cards equipped you can take Hunter into threat room everyday for another couple of bonus dark points. Doing it on your first run would require a 400 point swing which even if you did it optimally would need around 70-100 missions (game days) from where you are!

And since that is the only trophy I have left to achieve I think we all know I'll be jumping straight back in.

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

CaptD

@sorteddan Well done on finishing it so promptly, you still have a week before the end of the month.
I'm surprised you aren't a little burnt out from our band of heroes, I'm starting to feel that I need a break and I haven't finished Act 2 yet.
Trust you didn't find that challenge arena too difficult, getting to round three. I've been reading up on cheesing tactics for it. 😂

CaptD

sorteddan

@CaptD
Oh threat room was fairly easy tbh. Most characters have a quick move and knockback ability using those with a bit of positional awareness can see you through. I maybe only failed to survive a couple of times and then I had a fair idea of which cards in the deck were causing the problem - too many heroics or skills for example. I would recommend with completing them in roster order or keeping a note of who you completed with to save issues later when you can't remember!

I just put that into the daily routine for a while, doing one with the next character before the days mission so didn't seem like a grind. Also worth noting that you can use the combat ability tonic things in threat room and they get refunded afterwards so you don't need to worry about that. And as soon as you get to the third round you can play the conceal one and end your turn and you automatically win should you need to. The other one I found useful was the one that gives lifesteal on all attacks for when you leave too many alive and take a few hits and need to recover health.

Th3solution

@Bundersvessel Lol, alright, alright. 😄 But I make no guarantees that I’ll be able to fully participate. I’ve got some travel I have to do in May and part of the month I’m out of commission.

But my first choice is Life is Strange: True Colors. It’s been in my backlog for a while.
I’d also be semi-interested in Celeste and Tren, which are probably short enough that I might have time to squeeze either of them in. Both are highly thought of, so are games that I feel like I should experience.

I’m curious about Dave the Diver also, but I was surprised to see it’s closer to a 30 hr game (per HLTB) and so that length dissuades me right now.

Th3solution

@Bundersvessel 😄 happy to oblige.

You’re doing a fantastic job keeping us organized and together, buddy. GameClub has been a really useful means to nudge me to try games that I might not get to otherwise. We all get stuck in our comfort zones to varying degrees and run the risk of missing out on some of the fabric and texture of what’s out there.

JohnnyShoulder

@Bundersvessel @CaptD I played Dave the Diver for a couple of hours or so the other day, and did not notice any technical issues. Sometimes this things can be down to 'situational issues' that we are not aware of lol.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

CaptD

@JohnnyShoulder Good to hear. In the forum thread on psnprofiles someone said that it was fixed in a recent patch but I always like to give it a bit of time just in case especially as this bug seemed a bit on the grim side.

CaptD

CaptD

I've finished playthrough one of Midnight Suns and I quite enjoyed it, it felt good to finish a Firaxis as I enjoyed Xcom but as I progressed it's systems become more mind boggling and the difficulty get ramping up (seriously my dudes were in rehab more than on the field) so I never finished them.
Midnight Suns is far more approachable, of course I did play on story mode for a peaceful (i.e. Easy) time.

Knowing nothing of the majority of the characters I didn't know what to expect and when the Midnight Suns appeared and looked like rejects from the latest Saints Row game I feared the worst but all of the characters were.well voiced and quite likeable except for IronMan, blimey did he go on and on, he was unbearable during his Threat room challenge.
And I'm sorry but Bruce Banner needs to sound like Bill Bixby.

With regards to the trophies, with the exception of one, which needs a partial play-through all were easy and quick to obtain. Nearly all should be obtained by the end of the first playthrough as long as you do a little planning and make lists of all you trained, did missions with etc..
I will say that I agree with @sorteddan that I care little about all the fashion items etc.., in fact my character was just the standard one created for you.

All in all a very good game and I hope that it sold enough in order to fund a sequel But I guess the Marvel licence takes a large portion of the revenue.

CaptD

Pizzamorg

Makes me so happy to read so many positive things said about Midnight Suns in this thread.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Bundersvessel

Guten Tag! Lots of suggestions but still no game with more than a single vote for May, come on it's our one year anniversary, sort it out you lot.

👇
Tren
Teardown
Tinykin
Eiyuden Chronicle Rising
Life is Strange True Colors
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Dave the Diver
Celeste
Desperados 3
Raji: An Ancient Epic

Thank you all for your continued engagement and contributions

#PSQGAMECLUB

One love 👍

@Pizzamorg @Mr_B021 @QualityGeezer @KilloWertz @Th3solution @Ryne-Gaia @crimsontadpoles @RogerRoger @Hallowmoonshadow @R1spam @CaptD @Th3solution @ralphdibny @LobsterJohnson @SillyBoyJudas @kidfried @Fight_Teza_Fight

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic