NYJetsfan123

I find the Xenoblade one way too busy.

Transarctica for me!

NYJetsfan123

RR529

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Special Edition

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

No disrespect to the trainspotters, but I'm going with Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@ApostateMage @kyleforrester87 @Kidfried @Jaz007 Any if you want to place a vote In the finals before we close this?
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 vs. Transarctica

@andreoni79 I know you wished Ico would have advanced, but do you have a preference between the other two?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ApostateMage

Tough one but I'll go with Xenoblade Chronicles. Super generic name but those colours are nice. It would really stand out in a gaming shelf browse.

ApostateMage

andreoni79

@Th3solution I vote for Transarctica so we'll have a not finished sketch that looks made by an annoyed teeneager who listen too many bad metal music win this thing. 😋

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Kidfried

Transarctica

I like the colors on Xenoblade, but I don't like the special effects a lot (remind me of the first time I found the filters menu in Photoshop and went wild with it), and I'm also not a fan at all of just sticking the cast on the cover. It's not the kind of creativity I wanna reward for winning this thing.

I don't feel very strongly about Transarctica, but I like how big it makes the train feel.

Kidfried

kyleforrester87

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for me, yes it helps that I really like the game so the characters all resonate with me but I do think that colour scheme is wild. Transarctica is a very cool cover, reminds me of something you'd see in the excellent Empire of Steel (or Steel Empire if you're in the wrong country) - you fight a big train in that.

Untitled

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

Any more votes before I tally this one? It’s close.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

The Final Result

After 2 months of nominations, voting, and more nominations, and more voting, we’ve come to a final result of the “Best Video Game Box Art” as voted by the PushSquare Forums.

The tally for the finals is as follows:

Transarctica - 13 pts

And...

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition - 15 pts

Therefore, here is our winner! —

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Untitled

Another very close result, but at least I didn’t have to vote to break the tie. 😄

— — — — — — — — —

Yes, it is ironic that a Nintendo exclusive won the contest on a PlayStation-centric site, but I believe it was a worthy winner; and it’s a testament to the impartiality with which the community approached their selection. And as I said earlier, XC2: SE came dangerously close to elimination in the semifinals, and nearly lost twice in the Final Four battles.

My thoughts on the winner
Definitely art is in the eye of the beholder, but I think people were drawn to this cover because of the striking color scheme and the overall depth of what was going on. The abundance of style some may deem too “busy” but it makes for a cover than doesn’t quickly grow tiresome to view. It does kind of look like a fever dream or a migraine headache in action, but there’s a remarkable amount of detail if you spend time with it. I like the symmetry as well, with the cool emblematic video game mega-sword front and center. Like someone said, as a piece of art it certainly has its merits, but as a video game cover art, it really fits the bill.

(As an aside, it does remind me of the promo art for Wonder Woman 1984.

https://i.ibb.co/MMXP6RK/wonder-woman-1984-poster-3.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/dQbsgyG/MV5-BYz-Ay-OGJk-Mz-Ut-Mm-Rj-YS00-NGJ...

She could totally be a character in this game based on the movie posters)

I think the winner may be polarizing amongst the community, but at the end of the day, it was a democratic decision. 🙂

Th3solution

Closing Thoughts from Me

I found it very interesting to see the breadth of box art that was submitted and the great variety that is out there. Our final two are so appropriately different — the classic and picturesque feel of Transarctica with the amazing sense of realism, size, and detail, to the modern stylistic, colorful, and animated approach of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Its a fitting end to this journey.

And we have left many of my favorites by the wayside as they’ve been eliminated, but all of those which reached the final stages were wonderful in their own right.

And with this I close this Megapoll. I hope the community has been pleased with how it was run. I had plans initially to have a few other awards and do a “worst cover art” but this project has engulfed more collective effort than I expected and so I think I’ll close it here on a high note.

I would be remiss not to thank each and every one of you who participated. Whether it be voting, submitting, or just lurking along, I hope you enjoyed it.
And special recognition to my two assistants - @RogerRoger and @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy who helped with monitoring the poll, counting, and reporting results. And a final shout out to the granddaddy of the Megapoll for his support and assistance @themcnoisy . He’s the engine under the hood for these polls and many of the other forum events.

I feel like I’m giving a retirement speech, but I’m not going anywhere. 😂 It’s just been a long process that I want solid closure.

nessisonett

A worthy winner! Yes, I’m upset about ICO still but I’m ok about this one winning and it was good fun right the way through to the end. Any chance of a worst cover art bonus round?

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

themcnoisy

@Th3solution Thank you so much for the hard work and commitment. 930 comments and 28 votes in the final round. Fantastic result and one of the best threads on push for polish and interactivity. Do you have a link to the top 10 I can throw it over to @Quintumply @get2sammyb @ShogunRok @LiamCroft to write an article, we have a ton of Sony IP riding in the top list so could be worthwhile!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

@nessisonett I’m stepping down as an organizer, since life beckons. But if someone wanted to do a “worst cover” then I’d participate on a community member level.

WanderingBullet

@Th3solution GREAT JOB, man! Thanks for hosting/organizing this competition.
Not to mention the accountants from Ernst & Young for counting the votes. @RogerRoger and @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Wonder Woman 1984 does have a lot of cool looking posters but this one is probably my favourite.
https://img4.looper.com/img/uploads/embed/embed-5e8631fe4980e...

And this one's pretty unique too.
https://mlpnk72yciwc.i.optimole.com/cqhiHLc-Qjh7krOV/w:683/h:...

@themcnoisy So what's next? lol

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution well done running this my friend, sorry I missed most of it - no excuses. Massive undertaking from you.

And while we speaking about no excuses, everyone who hasn’t played XBC2 go out and get it. No excuses

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.