Forums

Topic: Push Square Formula 1 thread - F1

Posts 741 to 760 of 764

BearsEatBeets

I'm pretty confident we are going to see some good battles between Ferrari, Mercedes and Maclaren for the final podium place or more if Perez fluffs. Lando seemed to suggest in a post race interview that RB might not be as dominant as it seemed as this is a very RB suited track. Fingers crossed he is right.
Sainz moving next season will at the very least make more Ferrari infighting a good possibility.

I'm a little surprised none us posted when the Hamilton to Ferrari news dropped. I remember first seeing it on a Youtube thumbnail and thinking it must be fake but then unexpectedly confirmed it was true from a news site. It should make the big driver shuffle quite interesting when we start hearing of moves in the latter half of the season.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

BearsEatBeets

Hoping to see some more crazy drs detection zone action today. It can't possibly be as bad as last week but I'm not going to allow myself to be to optimistic it will be good. It's going to be interesting to see how Oli Bearman gets on.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

Indeed. Bearman impressed me yesterday. Usually they are further off the pace in their first F1 qualifying, especially on narrower street tracks. I'm working today so can only keep one eye on it.

themightyant

themightyant

They just said something like “we are seeing some great racing from twelve down, shame it’s not up at the front” couldn’t agree more.

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant yeah some skilled 'tractor on a country road' driving by KMAG to gift Hulk a point. A few little battles in the pack so better than the last race but still utter dominance from RB. I'd be surprised if RB's sponsors aren't a bit upset the car is rarely onscreen as it's off doing it's own thing.
Great drive by Bearman, chuffed for him and gets Driver of the Day too.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

I'd be surprised if RB's sponsors aren't a bit upset the car is rarely onscreen as it's off doing it's own thing.

I thought this last year. When you are in THAT much of a race on your own we hardly saw their cars. Bit worrying to me that they looked even more dominant this race when several F1 journos were saying it was last weekends race that favoured the Red Bull most.

Good drive by Bearman, I though Albon was also excellent considering he had a scrape. Not a lot else to say, mostly people either in their own race or in a DRS train.

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

Hoping qualifying ends up worth getting up at silly o'clock for. Logan Sergeant's pride has taken a beating this event. Maybe it will give him extra impetus for the rest of the season.

BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

Carlos has clearly gained a tenth of a second removing the weight of his appendix. 😄

BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

Party time in Australia. It was worth the crazy alarm call.

BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

Well that was fun. Got to love a bit of rain. Not sure about the 4am start tomorrow, might see if they do a full rerun a bit later.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets Severely jetlagged and completely forgot about this. But just caught up. What a bonkers sprint quali! More like this please.

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant I've realised if I want to watch the race qualifying at 8 then the only way to see the sprint race before it is to catch it live. Looks like silly alarm call for me tomorrow after all. If the sprint is as good as the quali was then it will be worth it.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets I did it the other way. I was still awake after playing games till 3am. Sprint had some great action. Alonso, Sainz, Perez and Leclerc all fighting each other. Felt for Fernando after doing such a great job but he did defend very aggressively, so was always a possibility.

He also did a great job holding up the pack which allowed the Merc to finish second. Max was 1.5 secs faster per lap and Sergio closed over a second a lap after he got in clean air. That was really the only reason Lewis finished second. The pack behind were all much faster once released.

Wonder if Sainz will get a penalty for his move on Leclerc?

Probably won’t watch quali live

themightyant

themightyant

Woke up and caught the 10:30 replay. Max on another level once again, you have to respect it even if it makes for less thrilling viewing.

But there’s a lot of tight competition behind him. The gap between success and failure so fine with Hamilton P2 in the sprint and P18 in quali a few hours later. Bad final sector dropped 0.6s and with the field so close, other than Max, you can’t get away with that, and banker laps often aren’t working with track improving in real time.

Alonso smashing it once again, hopefully he doesn’t get unlucky like in the sprint. Smallest of margins between many teammates like Norris / Piastri, Leclerc / Sainz, Oconn/ Gasly shows how close to the edge they likely are.

Roll on the race, I’ll be praying for rain though to mix it up and give some added excitement.

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant The Sprint probably wasn't worth the silly wake up after all, but the last few laps fight for fourth was quite good. I got a couple of hours in before getting back up for the full quali.
It is quite tricky to know precisely what the baseline performance of the Aston is. Stroll does very little with it and Alonso most likely wrings the absolute limit out of it. Most decent drivers would probably be somewhere in-between.
The Red Bulls will be off out of sight but it should be a pretty decent fight for the rest of the points because the high deg should give us some mixed strategies 🤞. Not sure there is much chance of more rain but we can hope.
Just glad the race is the more reasonable 8am tomorrow.

BearsEatBeets

QualityGeezer

I'm loving the fact Hamilton is struggling. Every driver too makes it too f1 is great but when your car is that much quicker of course u will win. Hamilton is a very very lucky guy

QualityGeezer

Foxhound

@QualityGeezer

Hamilton is a fraud, and the 2021 season exposed this. After 8 seasons of driving a car that was 1.5 seconds a lap faster than the rest of the grid, everything became "that's dangerous driving, man" when no longer being able to simply breeze past the opposition.

Foxhound

QualityGeezer

@Foxhound I agree I think he's the most over rated sportsman ever! Don't get me wrong he's clearly a talented driver as is everyone who makes it too F1 but I just don't respect him after he started moaning that he's handicapped by his car being slow, as you said he wasn't moaning when his car was 1.5 seconds quicker than the rest. If he's that good win with a slow car

Edited on by QualityGeezer

QualityGeezer

themightyant

@Foxhound @QualityGeezer Agree to disagree on this one. I agree Hamilton has been lucky to have been in one of the fastest cars for a large chunk of his career, but the same can be said of most F1 champions especially in the modern era. But I have seen enough evidence over his career to think he is still one of the best to have ever sat in an F1 car and that is a view that seems to be shared by most ex-F1 drivers when they discuss the very best the sport has had.

But I can understand how he grates, especially his complaints when he's not winning. Max was far less likeable when the RB was struggling a few years ago, same for Schumacher, Senna and others. As distasteful as it may be that is typically the mark of a winner. Not happy when they lose.

@Obscure I agree Alonso will be such a big loss when he goes, he is absolutely also one of the most talented drivers ever on the grid, but I disagree that his age defies logic. We are seeing this across sports many top players that look after themselves are playing, and winning, later than ever before. (Brady, Giggs, Totti, Williams, etc.) If you look after your body, and dedicate yourself towards that from a young age, plus have some luck, then who knows how long these athletes can go on for. It wouldn't surprise me to see him still racing at 45+ and seeing athletes in future push this age boundary even more.

themightyant

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic