Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 461 to 480 of 1,072

themcnoisy

@WanderingBullet I'm not a fan of live action adaptations, I dont think I have enjoyed a single one!

I'm gonna throw this out there before checking on the intertubes, but does persona have an anime?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

WanderingBullet

@themcnoisy Personally for me, the only live-action manga/anime adaptation worth watching is the Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X Trilogy. Some of the other ones I've seen had either been disappointing or average at best.

Yeah, there's the Persona 4: The Animation (series) and the Persona 3 movies. Didn't really enjoy the former but the movies are not bad.

Oh yeah, there's also the Persona 5 Animation which was pretty good.

Edit: Forgotten about Shinobi - Heart Under Blade live-action adaptation of the Basillisk anime. While it's not as good as Rurouni Kenshin it's still worth a watch. The anime on the other hand's pretty good, though.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

themcnoisy

@WanderingBullet @KratosMD will check them out thank you!

RR529

Been watching a boatload of anime. Mostly through Toonami, which currently has a pretty good lineup in Dragon Ball Super, Dragon Ball Z Kai: the Final Chapters, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Gundam Unicorn, Hunter X Hunter, Naruto Shippuden, One Piece, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Due to it's poor ratings however, they'll be dropping One Piece in favor of Tokyo Ghoul after next week. Despite my many criticisms of OP, there are things I liked about it and will be sad to see it go. However, I can completely understand why they had to drop it. For better or worse it wears it's goofy side on it's sleeve moreso than any other Shonen Battle series I've seen, making it a tough sell on a late night anime block.

I've also kept up with the latest anime season. Saga of Tanya the Evil, Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club (to my surprise), and Little Witch Academia have been the standouts for me.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

FullbringIchigo

i'm pretty much stuck to using Daisuki, Crunchyroll, Funimation Now and DVD's for my Anime, the UK is pretty bad for Anime on TV

currently watching Dragon Ball Super and Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga on Daisuki and Naruto Shippuden, Case Closed and Gintama on Crinchyroll and Fairy Tail, D.Gray-Man Hallow and The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. on Funimation Now

as for DVD got some One Piece to catch up on

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

themcnoisy

@RR529 Gundam Unicorn
Yes great one, are you in America? - all I seem to find are DBZ or Pokemom over here in the UK

@FullbringIchigo "the UK is pretty bad for Anime on TV"

Its crazy how no freeview / cable channel has picked up on this. How much does it cost to buy a tv channel it could be worth doing?

WiiWareWave

Are there any other fans of Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho here? I actually enjoy those series more than DBZ. Dragon Ball Z is good, don't get me wrong, but the story in RK is much better and who doesn't think a bad@$$ protagonist like Yusuke Urameshi trumps the goody-two-shoes protagonist Goku?

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

WanderingBullet

@Rukiafan7 Yup, I used to watch Yu Yu Hakusho's anime and read Rurouni Kenshin's manga. That said, Ialso enjoyed Dragon Ball Z's manga.

I also used to love playing Super Famicom's Yu Yu Hakusho game when I was young.

themcnoisy

Up to chapter 6 in the FMA manga. Armstrong and the Elrics are on the way to get Eds Automail arm fixed.

Full Metal Alchemist is my favourite series of Anime ever. By quite some margin too, the characters are absolutely amazing. The Manga is a work of art.

FullbringIchigo

@Rukiafan7 love those series espivcially Yu Yu Hakusho but if you think Goku is a goody too shoes then your obviously not watching super right now

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RR529

@themcnoisy, sorry for taking so long to reply, but yes, I'm in the US. the second season of JoJo ended last week (I actually enjoyed this series more than I thought I would), so tonight season 2 of Attack on Titan starts up. I was one of the few people who didn't fall in love with the series, but I'll still check S2 out.

@Reanfan7, yes! Rurouni Kenshin is one of my top 5 anime (alongside DBZ, InuYasha, Evangelion, & Eureka 7), and I also really enjoyed Yu Yu Hakusho (even though I haven't ever made it past the Dark Tournament arc, as I always get distracted by something else shortly after...).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

Have to say that Haikyuu! and One Punch Man were my favorite series in terms recent animes. Your Name. (Kimi no Na wa) is also a really good movie. Plus, the soundtrack's great.

RR529

Purchased the digital version of the original Ghost in the Shell on Amazon the other day. I've seen a ton of anime over the years on TV (including this on the Sci-Fi channel years ago, though I'm most familiar with the series through the two TV anime series that Adult Swim airs every once in awhile), as well as some on streaming services, but this is the first time I've actually bought any anime, so I'm a bit excited. Hopefully I'll get the chance to watch it tomorrow night.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WiiWareWave

So is the Boruto anime a decent follow-up to Naruto Shippuden? I'm thinking about adding it to my list of must-watch anime, but the trailer makes it feel like the series focuses on the school-life setting...ew.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

RR529

As I mentioned earlier in the week I bought the original Ghost in the Shell, and on Wednesday night I had the time to sit down and watch it.

I totally had forgotten how good it is. It's really one of those films that grabs you, and you get so into it, it's over before you know it. The animation is stunning to look at to this day, with some great action scenes, while the story is easy enough to follow, but deep enough to warrant multiple views to get the most out of it.

Also, someone posted the entirety of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods on YouTube, and switched out it's original soundtrack with Bruce Falconer's tracks from Funimation's release of the DBZ TV anime, which was pretty cool.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

@WanderingBullet, hopefully they finally get it right with Cowboy Bebop. From what I understand, the recent Ghost in the Shell film was Okay (which is better than how most of these things turn out. Looking at you, Dragonball Evolution...), so hopefully that means they're on the right track. Not to mention, anime that's a tad bit more grounded (like GitS & CB) I think translates better to live action than something like Dragonball.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

Agreed, both Dragonball and Airbender were horrible.

I'm a huge Cowboy Bebop fan and as much I would like to see a good live-action adaptation, my fear is that they will have a really hard time getting the characters (Ed for example) right. Then of cause there's also Yoko Kanno's soundtrack which I feel they must include.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Ralizah

Hollywood anime adaptations are inevitably terrible. Films that just steal material from anime (The Matrix, Black Swan, The Lion King, etc.) inevitably wind up being a lot better.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RR529

Anyhow, I watched Ghost in the Shell: Arise recently on Netflix, and am surprised I haven't heard of it more (unless GitS is too old a franchise for these kids and their One Pieces, Attack on Titans, & One Punch Mans).

It's of course nowhere near the quality of the original film, but I still enjoyed it, and think the prequel angle saves it from the fate of being "just an underwhelming reboot". The Major is a tad younger and rash (and it has more action as a result), which I think gives it a unique feel amongst the other GitS material (even if I wasn't a big fan of her being "blinded by love" in the third part, I'm glad they were trying out different things).

Worth a look if you like the series or sci-fi anime in general. In fact, while I think the original film is still the best place to start, I'd recommend newbies check this out before the two TV anime, just because it won't be as much of a commitment (each part is it's own story, although the team is slowly being put together episode by episode).

Only thing is, Netflix (US) only has the first 3 parts (they still need part 4 & the 2015 film to finish it out), and while the first two are both Dub/Sub, part 3 is Sub only (I dunno', maybe it's Funimation wanting you to go buy it too see the whole thing). Again, not a huge deal as each part is it's own story, but worth mentioning.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic