Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 401 to 420 of 1,075

WanderingBullet

Just watched the first episode of My Hero Academia and I thought it was not bad. It's got a bit of a One Punch Man vibe to it with the quirky superheroes and villains.

Didn't managed to catch Rage of Bahamut last Tuesday, though.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RR529

Yeah, My Hero Academia looks promising. Sort of like a Japanese X-Men, where people have evolved (mutated), and most have some sort of superpower (ranging from the mundane to the extraordinary). Of course, the twist being that the MC doesn't appear to have any powers, yet wants to be a superhero. It's quirky (pun intended), but looks to be a good time.

I have a feeling that All Might is somehow going to end up being the big villain later on, for some reason.

Also, this week's episode of Dragon Ball Super was actually pretty good, animation aside. Vegeta fought with a sayain from an alternate universe.

Also, the first epidode of Ragnastrike Angels was tonight, and I don't even... (it was literally just a 30 second ad for the mobile game it's based on).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WanderingBullet

@RR529 What do you make of that scene where Allmight was bleeding near the end of that episode? Could it be that he's getting weaker? Maybe he'll look to Midoriya as his successor?

Speaking of Dragon Ball Super, apparently Akira Toriyama isn't happy about the animation quality in that series either.

RR529

@WanderingBullet...

Yeah, I have a feeling that his power puts too much strain on his body (when he first appeared at the convenience store, he looked really skinny before bulking up). Maybe he has no Quirk as well, and attained his strength through some sort of training (hey, it is an anime).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

FullbringIchigo

@RR529: your right he doesn't have a Quirk the one he used "One For All" is a special Quirk that you can pass on to other Quirkless people and it stockpiles power to give super strength, i read the Manga

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RR529

Tonight I watched the first episode of Joker Game.

It's only one episode in, so not much to say other than the art looks really good. Still, it's a WWII era story, which isn't something you see that often in anime (especially a series that's playing it straight, with no fantastical elements), so it's pretty unique for that alone. The biggest thing is getting used to the idea of the Japanese being presented as the good guys in this scenario.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

clvr

I guess it's the first or second time Impost something here on PS 😁 I did cause I've been watching an awesome new anime these days, which is called Baccano!. I was initially drawn in by the quirky name (being Italian I was surprised by the choice of that word) and by the promise of Mafia wars and such, all wrapped up in a 30's context (which I personally love). And, well, what can I say? I'm almost half through the series (which comprises 16 episodes) and I'm completely hooked! There is a lot more to it than I'm allowed to say cause spilling the slightest detail would spoil the experience. Believe me, you're in for a treat
On the manga side of things, I would recommend Yotsuba&! (Yotsubatō), practically the definition of everything that's lighthearted and fun. It follows the everyday "adventures" of a female child (Yotsuba) and focuses onthe sense of wonder she finds in the littlest things.

Clover.

PSN: clvr51

themcnoisy

@clvr: Sounds great - will have to look it up, thanks for the tip.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RR529

Kabenari of the Iron Fortress premiered, and it's looking like it's going to be a pretty awesome time. The general story seems to be a spin on the typical zombie apocalypse tale (which I'm not too fussed about, TBH), but the world is very interesting (it's like Edo era Steampunk), and the animation is absolutely top notch.

Onigiri also premiered. It's one of those things that has 5 minute episodes, but it's complete cutsie fluff without much substance, so that's probably in it's favor. It'll do to sort of settle things down after Kabenari.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

It's Toonami Saturday night!

DBZ Kai - Vegeta got a good ole' fashioned butt whuppin from 18.

Dimension W - We finally get a look into Kyoma's past, and find out why he hates Coils (on that note, I'd love to see a spin-off about his days in the military, because what we saw looked cool). We meet a bunch of other collectors, and the president of New Tesla totally looks like Steve Jobs.

Parasyte: the Maxim - Well, it's now over. I was surprised by the appearance of that last minute threat, but I liked how they wrapped things up. Overall, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I only wish that they had explained exactly where the parasites came from or how they came to be (this looked like something they were going to delve into earlier on, but never really did).

Samurai Champloo - A very Mugen heavy episode, so you know it's gonna be good. Once again they run afoul of the criminal underground, and Mugen found himself teaming up with a feisty kunoichi to expose them.

Naruto Shippuden - Naruto & Guren put their differences aside while they try to find a way out of their current predicament.

One Piece - Whoa, some Nami fanservice (though things quickly got uncomfortable)! Anyhow, more fun with the gang as they tango with various ghouls & ghosts.

Next week Hunter X Hunter premiers.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Kyokai no Rinne returned today (well, yesterday, but I didn't get the chance to watch it until today)! It's nothing particularly special, but it's very good "comfort food" for those who like Rumiko Takahashi's work.

Also, episode 2 of My Hero Academia was today. It just continued to set up the overall story. BTW, All Might may be the best American in anime since Chibodee Crockett (though no one could eclipse Chibodee).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

Yeah, I enjoyed episode 2 of My Hero Academia as well. I especially like the bit where Allmight was vomiting blood!

I also watched JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable which I thought was awesome. Not only is Jotaro Kujo in this series but the protagonist's Stand's restoration powers is pretty insane! In terms of art style Diamond is Unbreakable is also my favorite out of the four so far.

Hopefully, Kabenari of the Iron Fortress and Joker Game gets aired here eventually.

RR529

The second episode of Joker Game was yesterday, and I'm finally getting to grips with who the main characters are (which is going to be especially important in this series), and a say it may have hooked me (something episode one failed to do, mainly because it introduced so many characters, I felt it was a little overbearing). Sakuma (I THINK that's his name, anyways) has a different set of values from the rest of the agency, and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Also, over the past couple weeks I watched through a short anime called Cat Planet Cuties.

Yes, it's a harem with a guy who finds himself host to catgirls from space, and while that's obviously silly, the best part is the show itself realizes just how silly it is, and plays to that fact.

It has loads of nods to old B-Movie sci-fi tropes/cliches, a secret organisation who wants to eliminate the Catiyans (that's what they're called) simply because they're too lame to be humanity's first extra-terrestrial contact, and what I can only assume is the clever work of the localization team, several nods to old TV shows, like Star Trek (especially Star Trek), I Dream of Genie, Bewitched, Charlie's Angels, and more (heck, there's even an alien dog that constantly laughs like Muttley from Whacky Racers).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Had to go to bed early the past couple of nights, so that's why I haven't done any anime updates. I'll try to do a bit of catching up.

Toonami Saturday night:

Dragon Ball Z Kai - Just a lot of plotting their next move, after being outmatched by the androids.

Dimension W - Kyoma shows off how much of a bada** he is, by singlehandedly taking down a giant war robot. I am kinda curious about what's going on here, though.

Hunter X Hunter - First impressions, it looks like it's going to be fun, if maybe a bit generic (kind of feels like it's going to follow the One Piece/Soul Eater/Fairy Tail template, though I already prefer this show's art direction, as it doesn't seem it's going to be AS zany).

Samurai Champloo - The group broke up after an argument, with Jin & Mugen running into adversaries from their past. Looks like some good stuff.

Naruto - With some help from the outside, Naruto & Guren escape their prison.

One Piece - Luffy's encounter with that zombie was the most hilarious thing I've seen in anime in a long time. Nami's group is discovering more about the mystery behind the island.

My Sunday anime:

Dragon Ball Super - Wow, this was by far the most awesome episode of this series, yet (maybe even awesome by overall Dragon Ball standards). Even the animation took a step or two up (not to the level it should be at, but it was a nice touch nonetheless).

Kyokai no Rinne - This episode actually contained two smaller stories (split up by the commercial break), which I actually think fits this show perfectly. The highlight was Tsubasa getting into a brawl with a tennis racket, though, lol.

My Hero Academia - Well, Midoria is about to face his first real test. Lets see if his work payed off. BTW, I'm liking All Might more & more every week.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

It's Toonami Saturday night!

DBZ Kai - The mystery of the second time machine. I remember watching this for the first time as a kid, and it was like the most mindblowing mystery ever, lol.

Dimension W - Taken more into the past to see how things went down during the war. Interesting stuff.

Hunter X Hunter - They're still being tested to see if they can be tested. Really nothing to say from a personal view yet.

Samurai Champloo - Some epic action as the current story finishes up.

Naruto Shippuden - The gang continue to struggle against the adversary they've been fighting for awhile.

One Piece - To be honest, it's just more zombie stuff (lame zombie stuff, at that).

Also, they reviewed a game called Salt & Sanctuary: 8.5/10

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

Been playing Naruto and I noticed something which got me wondering if the person who designed Noctis is a Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto) fan.

Untitled
Untitled

k_sinner

@k_sinner Sorry but talking about video sharing sites is against the rules here. -Tasuki-

Edited on by Tasuki

k_sinner

PSN: k_sinner1988

RR529

Well, over the past few weeks I watched the second seadon of Mobile Suit Gundam 00!

Overall, it was a great time. While there were some mech designs I didn't care for (mostly introduced in season 2), I liked most of them (especially the Flags, and Flag inspired). While there were a lot of epic battles, I'll have to say my favorite thing was all the different characters & their motivations. Admittedly, I was engaged with some of the side characters more than the main cast (especially the whole Saji/Louise storyline). Even the antagonists ranged from the sadistic to the genuinely likeable, and while you couldn't wait for one to get their come uppance, another you just couldn't root against (and it really showed that often war isn't morally one sided).

It does have a movie sequel, and while I'm interested in watching it, I'm also not quite sure where they'll go with it (hopefully they don't mess with the ending too much, which I liked).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic