Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy: yeaahhh can't say I'm massive about it myself, but people do rate it.

Regarding 8 I do have really fond memories of it, I was just really disappointed in it as a sequel to 7. Balham Garden had nothing on Midgar, getting out onto the world map after 15 minutes, the world map soundtrack, just all of it was wrong. But then it had some really incredible moments like the attempted assination at the end of disc one and going into space. I think it helped knock my overall expectations for 9 down enough so I was pleasantly suprised once I got it.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87: I love the whole set up of ff8, every city and nation hates each other but ff7, ff9 and ff10 have great introductions too. I like the fact you don't find cash, you earn it in wages and Zell is the best game character with ADHD bar none. Here's some great reading about what happens;

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/ff8story.shtml

johncalmc

Man, I used to sit and read ffcompendium for hours back in the day.

Final Fantasy VIII's story is really good, I think. I think it's one of the most underrated games in the series. The only thing that really lets it down is that Squall is a bit mopey, and the battle system is totally broken. Other than that I think it's pretty stellar. I love the time bending story, particularly towards the end.

johncalmc

Twitter:

BodyW-outOrgans

Anyone here play FFXIV "a realm reborn"? Very likely I will be getting it this week and would like to get anyone's opinion, or make some connections for when I join.

BodyW-outOrgans

PSN: BodyWithoutOrgan

johncalmc

@BodyW-outOrgans: I played it quite a bit a couple of years ago. I just fell out with it because I couldn't dedicate so much time to one game, but if you like MMO games then it's a good one. There's plenty to do, and I really like that you can switch jobs practically on the fly without having to make new characters.

johncalmc

Twitter:

BodyW-outOrgans

@johncalmc: Cool, thanks. Yeah, I hear it is a time suck, and aside from the monthly fee, that is the only think that makes me apprehensive. I tried Neverwinter recently though, and that was my first foray into MMO's, and I really like it - and from what I hear FFXIV is a superior MMO to most - so I think I'll give it a shot for a month at least.

BodyW-outOrgans

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy: Cool, I'll have a read.

My main problem with 8, really, is the desert prison bit. I really hated it and when I think of replaying it I just think about having to do that bit again. And the weird monster living below Garden, that was just odd.

kyleforrester87

BodyW-outOrgans

@kyleforrester87: Well, you don't consider IV a top FF game, so your opinion doesn't count... All kidding aside, that is good to hear, as I am going to expect a bit more of it - mostly with story and lore.

Edited on by BodyW-outOrgans

BodyW-outOrgans

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87: The monsters Norg, he funded the building of the gardens.

NathanUC

As a huge Final Fantasy fan who recently started to play FFX, I gotta say.... I don't get the love for this one. The characters are dull, the progression system is weird (mainly the equipment, I do like the sphere system), the story isn't that interesting, and the battle system seems both awesome and annoying at the same time. It also feels more VERY linear (maybe I'm just not far enough). I had similar opinions on FFXII, but at least XII had a really really enjoyable gambit system and huge sense of scale.

My updated ratings for reference: FFXIV, FFVIII FFVI, FFV, FFXIII (as a trilogy. XIII-2 the strongest), FF9, FFType-0, FFVII, FFXII, FFX (unfinished). I'm hoping XV takes top spot

Edited on by NathanUC

To save our Mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys!!

BodyW-outOrgans

@kyleforrester87: I thought something was off! lol
Golbez, Cecil, Kain, Rydia, Tellah - some of the best characters in any game. Especially Golbez, he never gets discussed as a top villain in video games, and really should.

BodyW-outOrgans

ApostateMage

Right, as somebody who has never played any of the FF games before VII, which one is arguably the best?
My Vita awaits...

ApostateMage

kyleforrester87

@NathanUC: ff10 is very linear, probably as bad as 13 to be fair. It was always highlighted as a problem but never got the stick for it that 13 did. That said, all of them are generally linear with the illusion of freedom given by the world map. But generally you're always just heading to the next accessible area on the world map so it's not really open world lol.

kyleforrester87

BodyW-outOrgans

@ApostateMage: I always thought that 4 was the best of the series before 7. That being said, if you are a retro gamer, you should love it. If not, it may leave some things to be desired as Kyle pointed out.

BodyW-outOrgans

NathanUC

@kyleforrester87: Yeah, I have no issue with games being linear at all . I just thought it was kinda weird that people had such a problem with the linear style of XIII, but yet so much praise for X.

To save our Mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys!!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic