Forums

Topic: Fighting Games!

Posts 101 to 120 of 126

Voltan

@ralphdibny I think the gear and costumes are mostly there to give you more reason to play the Towers Of Time and Kombat League. I finished the story modes in my 2nd day with the game and proceeded to still play it for another 6 months so I guess it works

I think you can ignore the augments and consumables for a while but some higher levels of character towers and later stages of the Gauntlet pretty much require you to use some (they apply conditions that make it very hard to win if you don’t have something to counteract them).

I definitely spent the most time playing Kombat League though but I understand that competitive modes are not for everyone and this one can become kinda grindy too

Voltan

Savagegamer12

I can agree with you because I love to play mortal Kombat too. I wanted to get the whole krypt unlocked and that took me a few weeks to get the koins I needed to buy everything. Keep on playing and gaming because mortal Kombat is the way to go.

Savagegamer12

RubyCarbuncle

I like to play Mortal Kombat and Injustice 2 sometimes even though I suck at them. I was brave enough to jump into the online because I'm terrified of playing games like them online, I find the Fighting game Community quite intimidating. I don't mean anything by that btw what I mean is they're very good at these games compared to me and this is why I prefer playing them offline with real life friends instead.

RubyCarbuncle

Twitter:

Voltan

@nomither6 People you meet in ranked matches in MK can definitely be toxic (especially with MK11 having no option to turn off voice chat, which is kinda wild) but at the same time the wider communities around these games are very welcoming and helpful. It’s not that bad overall.

In other news, Melty Blood: Type Lumina came out today

I’ve seen many people very excited for this and Twitch was full of early streams last night. I watched a bit and I’m afraid it does nothing for me at the moment.
I don’t like the visual style very much and the gameplay didn’t look all that great either (obviously both being a matter of personal opinion).
Apparently the net code is very good so at least there’s that - but so is Strive’s so I’m definitely sticking to that.

Also, the November EVO showcase (the offline event featuring the winners of the online EVO 2021) has been cancelled due to ongoing Covid concerns.

Voltan

michaelpohara

nomither6 wrote:

@RubyCarbuncle the FGC is toxic .

I largely agree with this, but you can limit the amount of toxic things you see from various content creators online. The keyword here is curation.

"It is better to stay silent and let people assume you are a fool, than to speak and confirm their assumptions."

PSN: MikeOHara

Voltan

Some of the world's biggest gaming franchises are getting spin-offs in the more-or-less-traditional fighting game genre.

"Project L" (I'm assuming that's a working title) is a 2v2 fighter with assist mechanics set in the world of Runeterra, featuring League Of Legends characters. It's aiming to be accessible to new players but deep enough to appeal to experienced ones. The project is led by the Cannon brothers, co-founders of EVO.

I'm not sure this will be my thing, as it looks closer to something like Skull Girls and I'm not sure how I feel about the simplified controls but there are clearly some cool ideas in it and I'll be keeping an eye on it .

The other one is a 1v1 spin-off of Dungeon Fighter Online, which is a game I never heard of but apparently one of the biggest free to play things on PC (shows how much I follow PC gaming these days).
Dungeon Fighter Duel is in development at Arc System Works (the studio behind Guilty Gear, BlazBlue and Dragon Ball FighterZ) and I'm not gonna lie, this trailer looks pretty amazing.

Technically both of these were originally announced a while ago but new trailers dropped just now. Are fighting games becoming a little more mainstream?

Voltan

nessisonett

@Voltan I swear Arc System Works must have about 12 games going at the same time. Someone please check they’re ok 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Voltan

@nessisonett To clarify - looks like this is co-developed by ArcSys, Eighting (who did Marvel vs Capcom 3) and Neople (developer of Dungeon Fighter Online). My guess is they're using ArcSys's tech (which is pretty clear if you watch the trailer) but most of the design is done by the other two.

Voltan

RaZieLDaNtE

Hey thee fellow gamers.
Yeah, both games look pretty great so far.
Project L might become huge, since LoL has a lot of fans. And the gameplay is kinda like MvsC Infinite with 2v2 mechanics. It´s definitely going to grab quite a few MVC fans I´m sure.
As for DNF DUEL, it´s a 1v1, wich is more to my liking personaly, looks super promissing as well.
And like you said @Voltan it is coming from a very famous and somewhat successful game from 2005. I saw some classes when the first trailer for the fighter version came out a tear ago and they look Rad. Hopefully, will get more updates on both these games in a more paced manner.
I think fighting games are kinda making a comeback and might also become a bit more prevalent if they actualy give these game CONTENT. not just DLC, actualy launch content. Especialy singleplayer content like a good arcade mode, team battle and an actualy good and playable story mode like NRS does it so well these days. And yes, good old Rollback netcode so people can fight each other properly in an online environment, with a good ranking system and proper character balance..... Maybe.
Cheers, stay safe good people and happy fighting gaming to us all

"Don't regret your past, learn from it. Regrets just make a person weaker".

"Solid Snake"

"Want to be a stronger person? Live the moment of your Present, don´t forget your Past and use it to build up your Future."

"RaZieLDaNtE"

Voltan

Happy Chaos is yet another Gulity Gear Strive character who basically plays their own game and I love that.

Voltan

Voltan

@hypnotoad I'll answer your question here since there's already a thread going.

hypnotoad wrote:

I used to love 'em back in the 90's. The one from that era that I really couldn't stand was Mortal Kombat.

Well I've recently noticed that my PS5 games collection is a bit 3D fighting game light.
Is MK 11 any good ?

I think MK11 is pretty good! Maybe even more importantly, it was the game the got me back into fighting games and I feel like it serves that purpose very well. I was in a similar spot, having played a lot of fighting games in the 90s and early 00's but not since.
It has a good tutorial section that explains all the game's systems well (and fighting games these days have a lot more of those than they had in the 90s) and pretty good and replayable single player content, as well as pretty good netcode that makes the online matches play quite well. I believe it still has a very active player base although I haven't played it in a while.
It might be worth noting that MK11 is actually considered a 2D fighting game despite the 3D graphics, as there is no character movement along the Z axis.

Voltan

Voltan

So... DNF Duel beta starts tomorrow and the game looks cool AF.
Today, it was confirmed that (unsurprisingly) it features rollback netcode.
It also has simplified special move inputs, which I'm not sure I'm a big fun of but it might make it more approachable for new players. It doesn't necessarily mean it will have a low skill ceiling but I'm sure it will just feel awkward to me at first

https://dfoarchive.blogspot.com/2021/12/dnf-duel-manual-comma...

Voltan

RaZieLDaNtE

@Voltan Hi there friend and thanks for the info.
DnF Duel having Rollback is nice but the one button specials not so much.
I mean, why can´t the game have the option for both types of gameplay? Games like Blazblue and Guilty Gear have the option for technical and "stylish" gameplay and it works like a charm. Oh well.
But yeah, the game looks pretty good and like many enthusiast have mentioned, all characters they´ve showed so far look cool and interesting to play. I´m particularly going for Grappler, vanguard and Kuinoichi, because I like Ninja type characters in these games.
Hopefuly, the gameplay mechanics will be good and the game fun to play at any skill level.
Cheers, stay safe everyone and happy gaming to us all

"Solid Snake"

"Want to be a stronger person? Live the moment of your Present, don´t forget your Past and use it to build up your Future."

"RaZieLDaNtE"

Voltan

@RaZieLDaNtE I think some of the specials can be done with motion controls for a more powerful version (so kinda like Grablue Fantasy?). Anyway - the game also features MP, a resource used for special moves - so again kinda like Granblue where I think each special has a cooldown (not 100% sure, never played it myself).
I’m not convinced this will be a game for me but I’ll check it out tomorrow. At least it looks cool
I do kinda like the idea that chip damage recovers in time if you don’t get hit.

Voltan

RaZieLDaNtE

Hey there fellow gamers.
I´m a bit late, but here are my thoughts on the DnF Duel open beta from last weekend.

It is not as fast as modt anime fighting games, feels more like a ground footsies game, wich isn´t bad by any means. The two big mechanics in this game and what makes it so much fun to play is the special to special cancel and the conversion mechanic.
The fact that you can do a normal combo, go for a special move and just keep going until you run out of special meter, called MP in this game, is very cool.
The MP meter is how you do your MP special moves and the awekening super for each character.
You start with 50% MP from the beguining of the match and as you get damage it will increase to full meter gauge. The more MP you have, the more special to special moves you can do until you run out of it. As for the unique supers of each character, you need to have only 30% health, wich is easy to see in the hud and 50% MP. You just press the awekening button and it happens.
As for the Conversion mechanic, it can be a bit tricky. When you either get hit or block normal moves and special moves you get this "white" damage state that can be regen over time, if you don´t get hit. So if you just block, you take white damage. If you get hit you take "red" permanent damage as well as white damage. If you or your oponet finishes a combo with a MP special move, then it takes way the white damage and it becomes red permanent damage. So no more conversion.
How it works is kinda like a Guilty Gear Roman Cancel. By having "white" damage, you can press the conversion button and cancel any move you just did. Wich means it can be used to avoid wiff punish, and a combo extension. More so, the more White damage you have, the more conversions you can do, wich can lead to some crazy and very flashy combos that normaly you wouldn´t be able to do.
Like I mentioned before, being an old school fighting game guy, I´m not to keen on one button spcial moves. But after playing the beta, I can honestly say, in this game it works like a charm.
You can still do quarter circle back and forward and other motions for some MP special moves, but you can also just press the MP button either forward, back, down and it will do it´s job perfectly.
The only difference is, if you do the motions, the MP meter bar will recover a bit faster.
I´m not the most expert in fighting games, just a passionate of the genre myself, and I tend to do alright, but I do believe anyone can pick this game, pick any character they like and just go wild.
It is probaly the most beginner friendly fighting game I´ve played and one of the most fun ones.
It clearly has a high ceiling for those who really want to make the most of their mains and I saw some really good players already.
The rollback net code felt great when you are playing, just like GG Strive, but there were some issues with the lobbies and some disconnections here and there that need to be adressed.
Speaking of wich, the game is kinda busted. Means that almost every character is busted in their on way. There are loops some characters can do, some infinites and since theres no air block, if you jump, you better now what your doing, cause if not, your gonna get hit.
These things will be resolved in the future, hopefully, cause you want the game to be fun and crazy, but not that crazy 😜
Just my thoughts on the game. All and all, fun gameplay, cool character designs and great visuals just like how Arc System Works does it.
I´m quite excited for the next beta. and for the 2022 summer release.
Cheers, stay safe everyone and happy gaming to us all

Edited on by RaZieLDaNtE

"Solid Snake"

"RaZieLDaNtE"

ShogunRok

@Voltan Thanks for the heads up! Caught it just before I went to bed last night — expect an article shortly!

ShogunRok

Twitter:

RaZieLDaNtE

@Voltan Hi there friend. It´s been a while. Hope everythings good with you.
Thanks for the information. I was waiting for this anouncement.
Loved playing the first DnF Duel beta and can´t wait to try Ghost Blade flashy move set.
And if it does have training mode this time, then i can finnaly try to properly learn a character ot two.
Cheers, stay safe and have a good one

"Solid Snake"

"RaZieLDaNtE"

Sorry, this topic has been locked.