Forums

Topic: Euro 2016 Thread

Posts 61 to 80 of 125

ShogunRok

@ShadowofSparta Not a bad side, that, actually picking 11 is a lot harder than it seems. I think I'd personally have to have Rakitic in there, though... And maybe Bale? It really is tough!

ShogunRok

Twitter:

Anchorsam_9

My 11 would be:

McGovern
Walker, Chiellini, Arnason, Hector
Ramsey, Krychowiak, Modric
Candreva, Bale, Payet

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

Victor_Meldrew

Missed the entire group stage, gutted. Looks like granit won't be taking spot kicks for arsenal then.

Victor_Meldrew

themcnoisy

So Wales won, how cool is that? those Dragons have done brilliantly. Props to Northern Ireland, its a pity Wales have the George Best these days.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

usb

Who would have thought wales topping their group and now through to the quarter finals. Let hope England do not slip up against Iceland.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

ShogunRok

I thought things would get more entertaining in the knockout stage.

I was wrong.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

BAMozzy

@ShogunRok: Generally more cagey affairs as they know one mistake can end their tournament. If a team manages to get an 'early' goal though, it can certainly change a match. Switzerland didn't really turn up until the 2nd half at 1-0 down (great equaliser) and after that it was a case of try to win but do everything not to lose. Extra Time always seems pointless to me - teams rarely go for the Win but almost settle for penalties. It seems to be 'just don't take a risk/make a mistake...'

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

BAMozzy

Good start by the Republic of Ireland... A penalty inside the first 2mins against the host nation - France...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Victor_Meldrew

@ShogunRok: today has been a lot better, still fell asleep during the German football demo though.

Victor_Meldrew

ShogunRok

Yeah today's matches were far better, thought all three of them were well worth watching. Hopefully Italy v Spain keeps up the pace tomorrow!

ShogunRok

Twitter:

BAMozzy

@TripleGK: I think the difference is that now we are at the Knockout stages. England haven't exactly sat back and not created a lot of chances, even against stubborn teams. On another day we could/should have scored more. Iceland haven't been very adventurous and I think they will try and park the bus. If England can get a goal, I can see Iceland getting beat easily as they would have to push up a bit more or else they are out. The longer it goes though without a goal, the more I expect Iceland to play for penalties.

Looks like we have gone for pace but hope we don't get bogged down in the middle but use the width...

ShogunRok

Poor Spain - Italians got it spot on and stopped them in their tracks. Came back towards the end, but too little too late. Germany vs. Italy is going to be fun!

ShogunRok

Twitter:

BAMozzy

Penalty to England after 3mins... which Rooney scored! Sturridge and Sterling combining to get the penalty so I guess Hodgson was right to pick both so far...

Not that the lead lasted long!!!! Ridiculous but hopefully the match will be interesting!

Its going from bad to worse if you are an England fan - now 2-1 and Hart makes a hash of that!

Edited on by BAMozzy

usb

Why does England make such hard work of everything they do? Sad fact Iceland have scored more goals in the Euros than us so far and thats including tonight. A country of 300,000 people and we can not even score against them in open play, shameful

Edited on by usb

usb

ShogunRok

Only reason I want England to go through now is to see us get ripped to shreds by France. Absolutely appalling display, and no idea why Sturridge is so deep, he's having to do everything while Alli sits in the box - it's madness.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

Victor_Meldrew

Wilshire and Vardy need to get on. Thankfully Jack the lad is on early.

Victor_Meldrew

BAMozzy

@ShogunRok: You have won of the best goalscorers in England (Sturridge) playing as a winger, Rooney (a striker or No 10) playing quite deep, Alli (a midfielder) playing further forward than our Striker (Kane) - its a MESS!!!

At least we are creating chances but you want the players putting the ball into the box, in the box and those in the Box the ones putting the ball in. Sturridge is having to drop deep every time Rose goes forward to cover for him....

usb

England players should hang their heads in shame no pride, no passion

usb

BAMozzy

@dryrain: Totally agree although I do think Hodgson got a lot wrong today. Playing Sturridge out on the wing (although he did put a few great balls into the box), Alli playing in front of Kane for a lot of the match. Sterling, I don't recall him actually getting past a player or creating anything. Rooney was terrible with his distribution - the passing in general was poor! Even when a ball was passed into feet, they miss controlled it. But the team formation was awful and often the only person in the box was a midfielder because Sturridge had to drop deep to cover Walker, Kane was pulling out of the box Rooney was sitting deep too. The longer the match went on the more the players congregated around Icelands 'D' making it even more congested - no width - particularly down the right and Rose kept coming inside whenever he got the ball (assuming he managed to keep hold of it). The Subs Hodgson used did nothing to affect the game or change the formation. Rashford at least injected some pace but he should have been further forward. Kanes 2nd half performance was terrible yet Hodgson stuck with him. Lallana (who had played well in the tournament) should have come on for Sterling and Rashford for Kane. Lallana would have provided width and the ability to beat a player - could have passed our way in behind the Icelandic back 4. I have never seen such a disorganised and ill-prepared England team and Hodgson showed no ability to change things tactically either! POOR!

Twice in less than week we have gone out if Europe LOL

Edited on by BAMozzy

ShogunRok

It was inevitable that England were going out, let's face it, but I thought we'd at least scrape Iceland by a goal or so and then get destroyed by France. Quite amazing that the team failed to even reach my low expectations.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.