Forums

Topic: Dex's Diner - The Star Wars Topic

Posts 661 to 680 of 810

LN78

@evildave333 Well my opinion is pretty clear from my earlier reply to Sol at #661. I think it's the best Disney "Star Wars" content by a country mile - it's a brilliant TV show (with some undeniable pacing issues) that just happens to be set in that universe. If you're not engaged by the time the heist episode comes around then the show probably just isn't for you.

LN78

LN78

@evildave333 There's very minimal fan service/key jangling. If you're into epic Jedi vs. Sith battles, lightsabers and constant callbacks to other "Star Wars" content then check out now. If you want a relatively adult skewed spy thriller with healthy side order of political machinations (all brilliantly written and performed) set in the "Star Wars" universe then stay tuned. The great thing about the franchise is that there's more than enough room for all of it. Personally speaking I'm all for more content of this type - it's very much like some of the old EU stuff finally being brought to life.

LN78

LN78

@evildave333 I couldn't agree more about the quality of recent Disney output in general - it has been in the pits for a few years now but as I said to Sol earlier, I genuinely do think that "Andor" is the best quality live action "SW" content since "TESB". Be sure to let me know what you think after you've seen a few more episodes, buddy!

LN78

LN78

@evildave333 See, as I mentioned the pacing and the release schedule have been the main problems with the show - I completely agree that the first three episodes could've been easily condensed but I do think there was some worthwhile exposition and character work (particularly from Fiona Shaw) in there - and I thought the shootout in the workshop/warehouse was a cracker. As for the absentee "Star Wars" iconography, all I can say is keep watching and you will be rewarded!

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Th3solution

@LN78 The honest trailer is indeed spot on. 😂 One thing I have to agree with is how good Andy Serkis was. That whole plot line was brilliant, and Serkis was really solid. I don’t usually like him in his non-Mocap roles, namely as Klaue in Black Panther and Alfred in The Batman; I haven’t seen him in any of his lesser known roles. He’s good at over-gesticulating for CGI (Gollum, Ape Caesar, King Kong, Snoke, etc) and unfortunately every time I see his face I see a mocap performance and it kinda ruins it, but his role as Kino was the first time I legitimately enjoyed watching him as a live-action performer. Perhaps it was because I was properly and deeply invested in the story at that point, but I think it was more than that.

@evildave333 Glad that Andor has warmed up for you, because it does indeed get better after those first few episodes. For as much Star Wars as I’ve watched over the years, this rendition of the Empire seems to be the most compelling. And I really like the moral and ethical grey, which is something that was first explored in Rogue One with the justification of nefarious deeds for a greater good, but I think Andor takes it to another level, especially with the Stelan Skarsgard character.

By the way, if/when you finish, be sure to watch the post credits scene after the final episode.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LN78

@Th3solution Funnily enough I just saw Andy in one of his non mo-cap performances last night - he has a relatively minor role as Tesla's assistant in the excellent Christopher Nolan movie "The Prestige". I hope Kino comes back in Season 2 of "Andor" but given the (heartbreaking) conclusion to his story I guess that's pretty unlikely.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Th3solution

@LN78 Ah, I forgot he was in The Prestige; I really love that movie. (I know he’s polarizing, but I’ve always liked Christian Bale. And of course Hugh Jackman.) Serkis didn’t stick out in my mind amongst all the other solid supporting performances (David Bowie, Scarlet Johansson, Michael Caine) which is probably a good thing.

As far as Kino’s ending, I’m torn because I agree, it would be great to see him in the role again, but they really have to handle any return with care if they want to go that direction so as not to cheapen the emotional gut-punch of his ending. It was heartbreaking indeed and they were able to masterfully bring him from an antagonist you hated, around to an endearing companion to root for, and then pulled the rug out from under you when you find out he can’t swim and is left to die after all that he did to help Cassain with the prison escape. The fact that they just pan away from him standing on the precipice makes me think they left it open-ended on purpose so they can bring him back without having to do a full retcon, as Disney is prone to do (Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Palpatine, R2 and 3PO, etc, etc….)

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@LN78 Yes, pure gold that.

LN78

@evildave333 No worries! As Sol said, don't miss the post credits sequence on the last episode. It's a beast.

LN78

RogerRoger

Oh boy, it's so good to have Star Wars: The Bad Batch back! Such a perfect opening episode, with a solid follow-up to boot, too. I was kinda nervous but I needn't have been.

That's my Wednesday mornings sorted for the next thirteen weeks, then!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

Great to see "Andor" featuring on so many outlets' "Best of '22" rundowns. Who would've thunk that a Disney+ "Star Wars" product could rank so highly given the lamentable quality of their recent output?

LN78

RogerRoger

Wow. Today's episode of The Bad Batch isn't just one of the show's best episodes; it might be one of the best episodes of any Star Wars show ever created. The respect for its legacy, the power of its simplicity, the emotional conflict of its central character... everything was just sublime. The quality of presentation is also off the charts, both in terms of animation and musical accompaniment. Astounding stuff.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

The big news from the "Star Wars" universe this week is that Nicholas "Straight to DVD" Cage has said he won't appear in the franchise because he's a "Star Trek" loyalist. Sure, Nic. Sure.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Does that mean he will appear in Star Trek? I would say that'll be funny to see the reaction, but no doubt it would end up with losers sending someone involved death threats or something.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder I guess he would. It would be brilliant (and weird) to see an actor even more histrionic than Shatner in a "Trek" project.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 His career’s hitting new heights in terms of actual cultural impact, I’m not sure he needs Star Wars!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic