Forums

Topic: Absolutely random thoughts

Posts 101 to 120 of 120

Anti-Matter

Um.... 😟
I want to ask.
Is having crushed with fictional characters (the anthromorphic creatures) are considered as inappropriate things on this website?
Sorry to ask and I'm sorry if I have to confess my secret things.

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

@Anti-Matter I guess you found a line we never knew existed. Sorry, buddy. For what its worth, like I said before, I reckon your posts were pretty brave. Keep being true to yourself, no matter what others say.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

Had a random thought at work today:

These days, I have more fun buying games than playing games.

That's literally where I'm at in life now lol. I just don't have much time for gaming but I certainly have the time to buy games. It doesn't help either that I have an income now, which means I'll be buying even more games in the future.

But it's genuinely addicting to browse through games. I kinda understand now people who love shopping, just for the sake of it. It's fun lol.

LtSarge

sorteddan

@LtSarge
I enjoy looking through the weekly PS Store sales, finding a bunch of cheap games I know little about and theb reading reviews on them all to decide which ones I want to buy. Like you, I tend to buy more than I've got time to play so I've had to make a conscious effort not to do so in recent months.

It's a weird tendency isn't it?

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Th3solution

@LtSarge @sorteddan I can relate. There is a rush associated with finding a good deal. And it can be therapeutic to spend money to reduce stress sometimes. It is a weird tendency, but I justify it as an acceptable alternative to other less healthy ways to reduce stress. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LN78

@Th3solution Speaking of which, I meant to ask you for your thoughts on "Immortals Fenyx Rising". I saw a PS5 copy for well under a tenner at the weekend and was tempted to buy it on a whim - problem being that I've variously read that it's little more than a reskin of "Assassin's Creed:Odyssey" or a fairly blatant, half-arsed ripoff of "Zelda:BotW". What did you make of it in the end? I'm not a fan of the Ubisoft icon checklist open world model but I'd be happy to spend a few quid on a halfway decent "Zelda" clone, even if it does end up sitting on my shelf for a while

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LtSarge

@sorteddan @Th3solution Yeah I definitely feel like buying games gives me bursts of happiness and it's actually helping me stay motivated at work. I didn't feel like that as much before since I'd just buy games whenever they'd go on sale. But now I want to buy them just for the sake of it.

LtSarge

Th3solution

@LtSarge I know plenty of people who drop lots more money on their other hobbies, with similar outcomes — having tons of things they don’t really use but enjoy having. Extra sets of golf clubs, a bunch of unused camping equipment, cars that don’t run and sit in the garage to tinker with, gym memberships never taken advantage of, etc, etc. Even foodies who think nothing of dropping hundreds of dollars a week on food and drink where 2 hours later the only thing left is the memory of how it tasted.

@LN78 I wish I had more to tell, but I got derailed from Immortals. And perhaps that itself is telling. But honestly I was really enjoying myself until I came across GT7, which really took me away, and then I found myself wanting some shorter experiences on the side, so I haven’t yet gone back to Immortals in earnest.

Since I’ve not played Zelda, I can’t speak to how well it functions as a BotW clone, but my 10-12 hours with it do feel like what I think BotW would be like if it had a satirical Greek mythology backdrop. I’ve read conflicting opinions about the humor, but personally I really like the mockery and parody it has. It’s a fresh take on the Ubisoft open world genre from that standpoint, so bears very little resemblance to Assassin’s Creed tonally speaking. Still — it’s a map full of quest markers and checklists, in the end. So if you don’t like the sandbox setup overloaded with distractions and side activities, collectathons, and random puzzle based shrines (or whatever they’re called) then it might not be your jam.

For under a tenner I think it’s a great deal, with probably 40-60 hrs of entertaining content. I’m playing on PS5, and the 60 fps is nice, but there isn’t much else that grabs me as ‘next gen’ graphically speaking. Partly that is due to the more cartoonish art design.

I think the gameplay is basically what you expect it will be, so it will come down to the narrative setting and whether you mind a lot of levity in your adventure games.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

NoCode23

Why is it that we park in a driveway, but we drive on a parkway?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

When you come to a fork in a road take it.

Edited on by NoCode23

NoCode23

JohnnyShoulder

@Kairu I would say that is fair game, but then I'm not really a traditionalist when it comes to these things.

My favourite costume of my own was when I dressed as a devil. Not very original I know, but I certainly looked the part and got a lot of attention. I was dressed all black, but my hair, face, arms, neck and legs (to show through the rips in my jeans) were covered in red glow in the uv light body paint. So that all glowed up in the nightclub. I had black make up on my nails, lips, lashes with black contact lenses which all made the red stand out more. My t-shirt had a led panel which flashed out 'I'm the D E V I L.... The Devil!' And I had a tail and a toy trident. 😂

There have been loads which I've seen over the years which have impressed me, but unfortunately do not remember any specifically as this was about 20 years ago. And I would never, ever do anything like that these days.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Kairu I reckon Santa is definitely a valid Halloween costume. When you actually stop and think about the man, he can be pretty darn terrifying.

I was once at a private Halloween party which spilled out to a local nightclub. I was dressed as Zorro and had cobbled together my costume to be as authentic as possible, so was understandably asked to leave said nightclub when security noticed how real my sword was. Once I'd gone home and sobered up, I realised how lucky I was that they didn't call the police. Haven't dressed up since!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

PegasusActual93

Moonfall is officially the dumbest movie I have ever seen. After Youtuber Critikal went on a tangent about how much he loved it for being hilariously bad I went in expecting a fun so bad it's good movie but it wasn't even that, it was just bad and It literally just kept getting worse and worse with every minute which in a way is really impressive. Dumbest plot I have ever seen in a movie and I have seen, The Room, Sharknado, Troll 2, Fateful Findings, Samurai Cop, Miami Connection AND Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

Hello everyone.
Just a random question for a random forum topic: Do any of you use or plan to use a feature phone these days? I do use this Nokia phone as my main phone (not a replacement):
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71OT+HjWlOL.jpg

And btw, no, I am not crazy. No, its not a joke. I am (mostly) sane, serious about it. The smartphone became an issue for me so I took the nuclear option and went for the simplest of phones. Now I get a bit less distracted and go to sleep without holding any electronic devices in my hands (obviously a laptop is way too bulky compared to a smartphone). Well, I do miss the advanced features from time to time, but other than a rough couple of weeks, I have made it through around three months now and haven't died from "lack of smartphone" or Fear Of Missing Out.

Does anyone else live in the early 2000 here?

Edited on by avatarian

You are a gamer, hold your head up high.

PSN: Avatarian598

Th3solution

@avatarian From time to time I’ve considered tossing the mobile phone in the ocean and living off the grid. For all the convenience it brings, it is also a noose around the neck sometimes.

I don’t think I’d ever go so far as to step backward away from the smart phone to a featureless, calling-and-texting-only phone. More power to you for doing it though. But for me, the things I dislike most about mobile phone technology isn’t the internet and app features, but rather the constant tethering that mobile phones do to us, whereby you are never really out of reach from people getting ahold of you. With mobile phones, there is no escape from your work, your family, your friends, etc. Obviously this is a good thing for emergencies and convenient communication, but it’s difficult to never truly get ‘away’ from the world and it’s stresses. For me, that’s the worst part. And so having and old-school cell phone doesn’t fix that. In fact the apps and web features like visiting Push Square during idle time, watching videos and shows at my leisure, checking sports scores, etc. are some of the best parts of having a smart phone. It’s the calls, texts, emails, and constant interruption of daily life that gets me.

I really need to utilize the “do not disturb”
feature of my iPhone. I thought about that last night when my sleep was interrupted by a spam text. Drives me nuts.

My grandpa, who lived a very simple life in the rural country, used to say that telephones were the rudest inventions ever created. That we would be expected to drop what we’re doing and run over to answer it at some other person’s beck-and-call is quite ridiculous when you think about it.

Now I say all this with the caveat that I follow a pretty strict personal policy of “social media avoidance.” I don’t have an account on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tik Tok, etc. I rarely even utilize any social features on PSN.
So I’ve already put up a few barriers to minimize my dependence and emotional reliance on the phone tech. Nevertheless, I am impressed that you’ve made the change. Very few people are willing to do that. 😄

sorteddan

@avatarian
Similar experience for me as well - Except I got one of the 3310 reissues so your phone looks pretty high tech to me! Smart phones and social media made me a bit crazy so I took a step away from them some years ago and don't really regret it, I just use the phone for calls, texts and alarm clock. I only really have issues when people from work look bemused when I tell them I can't access apps or email or something I am supposed to be able to do on a phone - they act like I am stuck in some dark ages fantasy world!

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Th3solution wrote:

Obviously this is a good thing for emergencies and convenient communication, but it’s difficult to never truly get ‘away’ from the world and it’s stresses. For me, that’s the worst part. And so having and old-school cell phone doesn’t fix that. 😄

This is actually a real story in more ways than once. It is not rare to find the latest message before midnight then snowballing to a long discussion about whether cereal or milk go first in the bowl and three more hours without sleep. Skipping the conversation often doesn't feel like a choice even through you know nothing of importance will happen.

To be fair, it is nothing impressive besides the obvious discomfort associated with everything related to the smartphone suddenly not an option anymore (no Google maps, no WhatsApp, no apps), and the occasional dubious stare from other people. So it kind of needs some planning ahead before going back to the feature technology.

sorteddan wrote:

@avatarian
Similar experience for me as well - Except I got one of the 3310 reissues so your phone looks pretty high tech to me! Smart phones and social media made me a bit crazy so I took a step away from them some years ago and don't really regret it, I just use the phone for calls, texts and alarm clock. I only really have issues when people from work look bemused when I tell them I can't access apps or email or something I am supposed to be able to do on a phone - they act like I am stuck in some dark ages fantasy world!

But you can take a bullet (or a few) if they land on that phone.

I recall the thousand memes about that thing, and the thing about people questioning your life decision of getting rid of a phone probably is the reason most people have a smartphone nowadays. Still, it is sad to see a group of people sitting together only to stare at their phone screens 😢
I know I am the guy left out when it happens (staring at the window but sure as hell not taking the phone out of my pocket) but come on.

Edited on by avatarian

kyleforrester87

@avatarian I have a feature phone for work purposes, mostly because of the great battery life so I can forget about it. I am very keen on the idea of "downgrading" my main phone, I use my smart phone a lot but I know overall I'd be happier without it. It's tough though, that full keypad, Google maps in a jam, music streaming... it's a tough one to give up. I should just get into the habit of turning my phone off entirely when I am at home.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87 wrote:

I have a feature phone for work purposes, mostly because of the great battery life so I can forget about it. I am very keen on the idea of "downgrading" my main phone, I use my smart phone a lot but I know overall I'd be happier without it. It's tough though, that full keypad, Google maps in a jam, music streaming... it's a tough one to give up. I should just get into the habit of turning my phone off entirely when I am at home.

Actually one of the features I missed the most from some smartphones was the automatic turn off/turn on feature to avoid giving in to temptation (or at least, to make checking something extra bothersome late at night). I also hear a lot of music from the feature phone, but the UI on the music player is bare-bones and clumsy compared to even the earliest of smartphones.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic