Forums

Topic: What PS5 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 3,401 to 3,420 of 3,575

Bentleyma

@Ravix Yeah the world is pretty well realised. You can talk to every character you meet and they all have several dialogue choices that update to reflect your progress. There's also lots of journals and documents to read. Just don't go into it expecting an open world RPG full of side quests.

Untitled

It's very similar to God of War. There's a fairly large interconnected map with areas that you can come back to for collectables, but mostly the game requires you to keep moving forward. What side quests you'll find are called "Haunting Cases". They're pretty interesting and remind me of the type of quests you'd find in The Witcher 3.

@KilloWertz I envy you about to start Rebirth. I absolutely loved it. Probably in my top 5 favourite games.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Qu1n0n3z

Finished Lies of P and I needed more souls-like action so I'm starting Lord of the fallen today.

Qu1n0n3z

Black_Swordsman

@Qu1n0n3z That sounds like an excellent choice for a follow-up game. I have only played through the first area of LotF so far but I loved what I've played of the game, I am endeavouring to return to it after clearing some more of my backlog. Be great to hear about some of your adventures in the game. Will you go for the plat?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Ravix

Got the urge to play Iki Island in Ghost of Tsushima. Feels like the kind of DLC that can be played post-main-story, and actually lure me back in to the world.

I could not remember any of the buttons when i first loaded up so the first fight was a mess, but I think I worked it out by the end of it. And the little scene to start it had way more character investment than I thought it would, so I'm going to get on that properly later on 😁

Hoping there's some nice duels included (something I hope they double down and expand on for GoTII)

Anyone know the size of Iki in terms of how much there is to do etc?

Edited on by Ravix

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Qu1n0n3z

@Black_Swordsman So far so good BUT I'm scared as sh*t, the environment is spooky as hell for me and I'm always nervous and tbh I'm not sure if I'm gonna make it through the end but I'll do my best since I need to put my 100% on it and play during the day not night lol

Qu1n0n3z

DoomGuy_117

Helldivers 2
GOW 2018
Ghost Of Tsushima DC

Edited on by DoomGuy_117

GT - JohnnyUtah54

xeofate

I've been playing Gran Turismo 7, WRC 9 and Tetris Connected this evening on the PlayStation Portal which is quite nice I gotta say. My PlayStation was gathering dust for a long time but the portal has that pick up and play factor so I'll likely play more now.

xeofate

SingleStooge

@Ravix I completed that game via Xbox Gamepass last year. It was my GoTY 2023. Enjoy it!

Titles currently going through on PS5
Marvel's Spiderman Remastered
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade

SingleStooge

KilloWertz

@Bentleyma I never got a notification about your post, so this is only a week late... Glad to see that you loved Rebirth as much as you did. I'm only roughly 10 hours in so far (still on Chapter 2), but I'm highly enjoying it so far. Given how much I loved Remake, I fully expect to love Rebirth quite a bit too.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

LtSarge

After wrapping up Persona 3 Reload, I've now started playing The Last of Us: Part II. I can't express how happy I am to be playing a different game after 1.5 months of playing the same title. I played it for two hours straight and had no idea that much time had passed, that's how much I was craving a different game lol. It's really fun and I'm liking the story so far. I'm glad that I recently watched the first season of the show before playing the second game as the story so far is fresher in my mind now. Looking forward to playing more soon.

LtSarge

Black_Swordsman

@Qu1n0n3z Sorry for the delayed response. To me it seems like a more streamlined, muscular version of Dark Souls, how do you feel about that? Lol, yeah, just play during the day if that's the kinda atmosphere it has in general. Anyway, please feel free to keep me updated about your activities in the game, spoiler-tagging all the parts that you think you shouldn't give away of course!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Kidfried

I'm very near the end of Final Fantasy XVI. It's a game. The combat is great. And even though it's more of an action RPG than ever before, the game manages to feel like a logical evolution after the last few games. And even though there's such a different tone, it's undeniably Final Fantasy.

But its lacking in some departments I didn't expect it too. In between combat it just feels like I'm walking towards the next combat, instead of being on an adventure. The cutscenes don't manage to hide a somewhat formulaic approach to gameplay too well. Feels more like XIII than VI, experience wise.

Kidfried

Bentleyma

I am temporarily halting my playthrough of Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth to play Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier. Dunno what to make of it, on the one hand it's nice to be playing a new (to me) Jak game, but it's lacking the magic that made the trilogy so great. I think the main offender is that it's no longer a seamless open world, which I get considering it was made primarily for the PSP, but it's still massively disappointing.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Pizzamorg

In kind of a weird position as I finished Banishers yesterday and Dragons Dogman and Rise of the Ronin I believe are both this weekend, two games that I absolutely expect to take over my life, so I sorta don't know what to fill the space with in between. I forgot I had the FF7 remake downloaded to my console from Plus, and I appreciate it is probably stupid to pick that up now as I'll get absolutely nowhere between now and the weekend, but it is just something to do.

I finished basically the opening tutorial part up until the Red Scorpion fight. Really mixed first impressions, it looks absolutely incredible even on performance mode (and man am I glad it includes one) but outside of the visuals, that battle through the reactor could have been a PS3 game from a design perspective. Just lots of small, narrow, corridors and the same handful of enemies.

I am also not usually a massive fan of these hybrid battle systems, and even with just two characters to control it already felt kind of messy. Especially as seemingly when you aren't controlling someone directly they only use their square attack, they won't heal or use any abilities. As such, I am already dreading it a little the idea of having to constantly cycle through four people, making sure they are using their abilities and are kept healed up. It is so weird to me so many JRPGs design their games like this, as I feel like we already solved these problems in the 90s with CRPGs that allowed you to set instructions for your party members when you weren't actively controlling them.

The Red Scorpion fight didn't help, I don't think. While it was visually spectacular, it was also just pure sensory overload too. If the boss had mechanics, or stages, I was not able to intuit what they were from the information the game was giving me. Sometimes it would go on the wall, or sometimes a part of it would become highlighted but it was so unrelentingly spamming attacks without a moments pause, so I was never able to take a moment, get my bearings and work out what I was meant to be doing or what the game was trying to tell me.

I beat it first time, but just by doing a lot of brute forcing and ability dumping, going through about 15 potions in one fight. It all looked very spectacular, but it was hiding the fact that I was a headless chicken with no clue what they were doing. 😂

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Th3solution

@Kidfried Those are some valid FF16 thoughts and I think you have a point. I ended up enjoying the game quite a bit, but it was mostly because of the compelling main character, decent storyline, high end production value, interesting setting, and bombastic boss fights. But the moment to moment exploration was on the tedious side, if I’m honest, and there wasn’t quite the level of excitement and discovery between major story points. Some of this had to do with over half of the side quests and supplemental stories being rote and largely unnecessary. The problem is that some of the side content was quite good though, so it was tough to know which could be skipped so I just did them all. I will say toward the end there is a large dump of side characters story arc expansions that are mostly really good but it ruins the pacing to put it all in one large heap at the end. I would have liked that content to have been better spread out through the earlier parts of the game.

The other thing that would have probably helped would be to have better and more consistent rewards for exploration and random battles. I liked being able to see the little flickering glitters of light scattered throughout the open areas that indicated a collectible, but 90% of them were worthless. Even those that appeared to be guarded by a bigger enemy were often just trash like 5 Gil or 3 sharp fangs, etc. Eventually I learned to ignore the temptation to go after every sparkly icon on the map because it was a waste of time and there were better ways to spend my time and better enemies to battle through the main stories and optional hunts.

Kudos to the game for having so many ways a person could dive into the game and spend time though. My playtime ended around 80 hrs and although I did all side quests and hunts, I didn’t even scratch the surface of the Arete Stone or those other little pillars scattered throughout the world (I forget what they’re called) that had optional combat trials. I also spent very little time in the lore, but Vivian’s map and character charts were fantastic ways to get into it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

MaulTsir

Helldivers 2 which is just an absolute great game in terms of gameplay and fun to be had, playing with friends just makes it even more fun, hats of to the developers for this one it feels almost like a 90's game in terms that it's made by gamers for gamers and you can really feel it when playing.

Alongside this I'm playing Assassins Creed Valhalla, I've held off on playing this game for so long for 3 reasons, 1 I completed and Platinumed Oddesy in 2021 and after 150 hours felt like I needed a break from anything AC. 2 I knew this game was similar to Oddesy in size and would be a massive undertaking in time. 3 the "main stream" reviews and comments are largely negative towards this game and I constantly hear its the worst out of Origins, Oddesy and Valhalla. After around 18hours of playing it my self and finally able to form my own opinion so far so good, I can not st all honestly see what is so bad about this game, its a really good game, great combat and exploration. Story so far is ok nothing amazing but just following the rule of most viking sagas, its biggest problem is its pacing lots of slow parts before the next inevitable big encounter. Yes the map is probably too big and there's probably alot of clutter on the map but with recent updates you can turn certain things off the map(like in cyberpunk) to feel less overwhelmed. I get that the biggest bug bear for hard core AC fans would be that it's not stealthy and not really much in terms of an AC game, the Hidden ones is sort of a side line to the main quest which is the viking saga but its there if you want all that stuff. Anyway another 20 or so hours and I might start to feel a little worn out but so far so good a solid 7.5/10 of what I've experienced so far.

I started BG3 and got to the end of act 1 but basically Helldivers took over and I'm yet to return although I definitely will because I was having a great time with it

MaulTsir

Th3solution

@Pizzamorg I remember my first impressions of FF7 Remake being very similar to yours. There’s almost too much spectacle and it’s like a migraine headache on display with all the flashing colors and lights. You eventually grow accustomed to the visual overload and settle into a rhythm with the combat. But I can definitely understand your sentiment of the ‘messiness’ of it all. I played on normal but apparently cranking up the difficulty makes the experience better, paradoxically. I guess it forces you to learn how to strategize and balance your materia and party member usage. But for me, I had enough trouble with some of the bosses that I suspect I would have been frustrated by playing on hard. In the end, I liked the game and it was beautiful and fun to play, but the story went a bit sideways for my taste. Still, I’ll tune in to Rebirth at some future point.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@MaulTsir Hey buddy, it’s good to hear about your latest gaming endeavors! Glad you’re enjoying Helldivers. It’s a game I’ve not got a lot of interest in, but have an appreciation for what they’ve accomplished.

I’m curious to try AC Valhalla some day. I need to play Odyssey first, but it still intimidates me with its size. I know you’re still early days with Valhalla, but do you think you still prefer Odyssey overall?

And Baldur’s Gate 3 is on my list to play as well. Interestingly, I had a dream about it last night, kind of out of the blue, and so maybe it’s a sign that I need to start it. I chose to jump into Spider-Man 2 first instead (which I’m really liking so far) but I might try a BG3 concurrent playthrough. It sounds like you’ve been trying the tactic of playing it alongside other games, and it seems like it could be done successfully. I don’t know.

MaulTsir

@Th3solution hey mate! Yeah been a bit busier is real life so haven't made it much to the forum. I'm not a big social media user and much prefer this little forum as it seems a more "calmer" place so like to try get on from time to time!

Yes Helldivers is amazing, it's crazy because it's not amazing but it is amazing if that makes any sense at all, like theres no story, mechanics are simple, game play loop is even simple but it's magic you know like tetras or something because it's just there for fun, not to bog you down with some big story or make you feel like you need to grind to get anywhere you can just turn it on and play, I would recommend it to anyone, it's not like a game you need to set a load of time aside for you can play it as much or as little as you like and that's the beauty of it! Obviously it's much better playing with people you know but I've not had any real issues finding or playing with randoms.

Valhalla is big! Not as big as Oddesy I don't think and there's a few things Valhalla actually does better than Oddesy like side quest for example are world events not and they don't force you to do them it's completely up to you if you engage with them or not, there's not hidden weapons or anything it's only xp. It's a really good strong game though, like it's basically Horizon Forbidden West but your a viking! Like everyone wanted to play as a viking and a game comes along and says here play as a viking and then everyone crys that he's not stealthy enough or a super assassin but like mate your a viking! Lol I would say I preferred Oddesy although at the moment I am only about 20% through the main story so will fully judge when I'm done, I will say the world is awesome and I prefer it to Origins. I played as Kassandra in Oddesy as it seem to fit the story better but I've played as male Eivor as this seems to fit the story better.

Yeah BG3 is a really strange one because it's my first real jump into DnD world and its honestly a really great game but I don't find my self being able to play it in long stints if that makes sense, like sometimes a fight then a long rest and some cut scenes can take over an hour an then I feel that's enough or a run through a dungeon and then levelling up all the characters takes an hour and a half and then I'm like right I need something fast paced for a bit! I never play games side by side either but BG3 obviously feel like playing a board game. That's not knocking it either because the games amazing, the story, the detail very similar to Helldivers 2 you can tell the developers love there game.

How are you getting on with Spiderman 2? I managed to grab the plat over Christmas and really enjoyed my time with it so interested to hear your thoughts mate

MaulTsir

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic