Forums

Topic: In Defence of Cyberpunk 2077

Posts 21 to 35 of 35

Rudy_Manchego

I think the quality of the game itself is not the point if I'm honest. I haven't played the game - it may well be excellent. The issue is that a lot of people are unable to enjoy that game or the best version of the game based on the system they play with contrary to what was advertised.

Do other game companies beyond CDPR do this? Yes. Have they gotten more flak on it? Possibly yes. I am sure there is some schaudenfreude to such a hyped game and such a 'good guy of the industry' however the game was super hyped. Hence the huge pre-orders that they didn't want to sacrifice.

Ultimately, the game was marketed on PS4/XB1 hardware primarily, it couldn't run at launch and they clearly knew it. The game was released for financial/management reasons after months of crunch. I watched the video released yesterday and apart from throwing their QA team under the bus, they couldn't state the truth for obvious legal reasons. That it is going to take until later in the year to get it optimised is telling of how much they hid.

I do want to play the game and will happily wait until the PS5 relaunch. At that time, I hope I will play the best version of the game and I can make up my own mind. That said, I think if the outcome of this is that firms delay troubled games until working, don't crunch their employees and us consumers get a better end product, I don't mind the focus on the dishonesty rather than the game.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

ApostateMage

I've put almost 300 hours into the game across one and a third playthroughs on the base PS4. Yes it's been buggy, had stuttering fps and it has crashed a lot but I've wholeheartedly loved every second of it. I think Night City is one of the most impressively built open worlds I've seen in a video game, the scale of everything is just stunning. Not to mention the well written quests and characters, Johnny Silverhand included. Him and (female) V are fantastic together.

ApostateMage

Jimmer-jammer

I do see Cyberpunk as quite the achievement.

The city is truly a sight to behold. I’ve never seen anything like it in a game before. I’m no developer, but my limited knowledge of rendering tells me the amount of things going on, the verticality, the amount of assets, the lighting...it’s damn impressive.

The music is absolutely fantastic and captures the atmosphere wonderfully.

The animations and lip sync are best in class, not a doubt in my mind.

I like the mission design and have felt the choices I’ve made have carried weight. Maybe not in the overarching plot, but the moments have been engaging. Also I’ve gone back to characters after missions and they have interesting things to say. I’ve eavesdropped on interesting conversations, it’s good stuff.

The writing and character work is all around excellent.

Gameplay is fun. I’ve been a pistol carrying, sniper rifle wielding hacker. It’s not particularly challenging but it’s fun.

World building is fantastic and has had my imagination running wild.

Audio is incredibly immersive. I play mostly with headphones and this game’s audio is really something.

I mean, this is all quite the achievement and it’s unfortunate that the negativity takes away from everything the game does really well. A game doesn’t have to be “The Best Thing Ever Made!” It can just be a really good game. I’m happy with that.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

ApostateMage

@Mpquikster I made sure I did every gig, side mission and assault in progress before I moved on to the latter story missions. It's interesting that even some of the assault in progress missions have a bit of a story arc to them if you read the conversation shards. And Johnny pops up quite often during a lot of side quests too. I loved the one where he narrates what you do in the quest like an old private eye movie, absolutely brilliant!

As for the character build, I had it in my mind that my streetkid V was gonna be a very agile and clever merc with her trusty Dying Night pistol so I went with a reflex and intelligence build. I often had loads of perk points available and seemed to be adding perks I didn't really need because you get so many of them from levelling everything so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Quickhacking enemies never got old, though.
If I was you, I'd start a new playthrough with a new life choice and try concentrating on a specific build, like an agile katana wielding maniac or a stealthy silent hitman. I'd say at least 10 in intelligence is a must, though.

ApostateMage

Jimmer-jammer

@TheLightSpirit I pride myself on my sense of mystery 😜
but really, recognizing a game’s strengths despite it’s weaknesses is hardly defending it. People are enjoying the game and that’s equally as okay as people not enjoying it, isn’t it?

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Jimmer-jammer

@TheLightSpirit fair enough. I do see your point even if I don’t fully agree in this instance. Have a good one!

Total_Weirdo

@Mpquikster February's Patch will be bigger than January so you might want to wait for that fo a smoother experience?

Feel free to add me on Switch.

Switch Friend Code SW-4502-1527-9512

PSN: Total_Weirdo

johncalmc

I'm glad some people are really liking this, but CD Projekt Red deserve absolutely everything they're getting right now. I hope it doesn't die down. And I hope people learn from it. What CDPR did was absolutely ridiculous.

johncalmc

Twitter:

redd214

If anyone is still on the fence, game is already half off on Bestbuy/Amazon. Will be selling for peanuts by the time the PS5 patch hits!

redd214

ProfessorNiggle

@TheLightSpirit right? How can you defend this game. Imagine if TLOU 2 and GOT came out like this. The devs would get called out endlessly and deservedly so. Even TLOU 2 got so much stick for its story, you'd think it was a broken buggy lie of a game like cyberpunk. Double standards is what it is.

ProfessorNiggle

nathanSF

@TheLightSpirit 'questionable mentality' is a very shallow criticism. I can understand an argument that those who, like me, praise the game and emphasise the positive qualities and features of the game - are basing their judgement on selective perception and other subjective biases; and are disregarding the real problems encountered by ps4 owners and owners of low-spec PCs. Such criticisms of supporters would be correct - but not necessarily right. We all, and always do, discriminate our way through the world, making judgements based on where we stand, as PS5 owners, fans of one particular genre, levels of tolerance and expectation, etc.
That's why I say "Questionable mentality" is a shallow criticism. I love the game and know the reasons why and although I understand where critics come from, I also see the broad set of biases that inform their subjectivity. Cyberpunk 2077 is a truly great game, despite its flaws and this needs to be acknowledged. Reading some of the criticisms here and elsewhere, and seeing the YouTube and Reddit rants, I can't help thinking sometimes that some people expected CDPR to give us a virtual real world with farts and all. People need to get real and appreciate all that CDPR has achieved with the technology available. Just because the high-tech reality creation exists in the Night City World, doesn't mean the technology that created the fiction actually exists out here.

Edited on by nathanSF

IwriteSci-Fi

Twitter:

nathanSF

Let's be clear, the game is playable through to the end, side missions and gigs included. It has bugs but Any suggestions the game 'broken' or incomplete is clearly false. It may lack some promised elements; this may be a disappointment but not unusual. trashing the game for one reason or another, is a popular, easy and very lazy way to jump on the bandwagon and grab some attention and ego validation.

IwriteSci-Fi

Twitter:

nathanSF

@TheLightSpirit Agreed, we have very different views of the game's state. Sure, it's not perfect, but terrible state? Your experience of it must have been pretty awful. What platform did you play it on, or tried, to have such a negative view of it?
I play on PS5 and get a crash once every 4-5 hours and I was under the impression that the console is not as powerful as high end PC's, which according to most comments play the game with very few problems.
I wonder if perhaps the spectrum of opinions is due to the 'echo chamber' clusters grouped around device type where people share very similar experiences of playing the game that reinforce peoples views

IwriteSci-Fi

Twitter:

Jtheripper

The ps5 version is due in 22 now i think? Or it's just not been confirmed maybe.
Tempting on std ps4 to get and mess around with.
Its 40$ cad on pstore. But 100g install ouch.

Jtheripper

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.