Forums

Topic: Demon Souls Remastered. Is it, isn't it?

Posts 541 to 560 of 793

render

@rumple1980 I was the same and held off on buying this due to perceived difficulty. I didn't find it too bad in the end. Yeah I had quite a few deaths but most of those were outside of the boss fights and just doing something stupid. It's a great game and the boss fights only get better. Don't forget that if you struggle with one boss you can go back to the Nexus and try a different Archstone.

render

rumple1980

@render Great tip thanks....I just found out how to level up lol so I'll focus on that for a bit and see if that helps. I have lots of time until Elden Ring drops so I'm sure this game will last me until that comes out.

rumple1980

Gladio

One of the two games I quited due to difficulty and sold it back... and now, months later, kind of regret to have sold, lol.
It was so hard!
But sometimes, I wonder if, with a better understanding, or build I could have done it.

Gladio

rumple1980

@Gladio Ya I think I'm going to re-roll my character at some point in the next couple weeks I think. Playing Kena right now and MAN! that game is my GOTY I think. It was such a pleasant surprise I must say, but after that I'll go back to DS and re-try it at least until my other games come out in Feb I'm looking forward to

rumple1980

Yoop

im trying mirrored mode myself

Yoop

Th3solution

Started this up today. Man, it is fantastic so far. Visually stunning. The gameplay is actually quite fun as well. I haven’t been too frustrated yet either (although I’m sure it’s coming). After only playing for a couple hours I can feel the game setting its hooks into me.

I feel like it’s much more well organized than I expected. It’s still plenty cryptic in that FromSoft way, but there’s more exposition than what I recall from my brief time with Dark Souls. The tutorial menu is very helpful, as well as the in-game instructional prompt and messages. Of course the game is highly complex and I’ll be relying on this thread and the internet to help me get the most out of its deep mechanics, secrets, and idiosyncrasies, but I don’t feel as lost as I thought I would.

I’m going with a magic based build since it’s supposedly much easier. I’m enjoying it a lot as a breath of fresh air in the combat area to have the option to do stabby-stabby with my rapier or go all Harry Potter with an Avada Kedavra from my wand, er… I mean “catalyst” 😄. Even with the first area being fairly easy, comparatively speaking, I have died twice, so it’s not too easy.

I’ll be posting often with questions, updates, and sharing my experience. I probably need to read back through this thread first of all.

Tagging @TheBrandedSwordsman as I promised I would.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@EclipseZero Thanks, my friend. I might have to take you up on that eventually. Back when I played Bloodborne a couple years ago, the only way I made it through the game was with support from the community.

And I can totally see the allure of multiple playthroughs with the different classes and weapons. Not to mention the really big intricate maps. I’m glad to have a little easier time on this first go, since I know Souls “easy” is still pretty tough, and then I can try a different build on future runs if I want, after I’m accustomed to the game mechanics.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

Started this properly yesterday morning. Having struggled with it back in 2009/10, I'm hoping to put into practice everything I've learned through every FromSoft game since and kick the behind of everything that gets in my way. I've gone dexterity and stamina to begin with; a combination I don't usually go for in Soulsbornes.

The Phalanx is down and I can't wait to push on through the next area. The graphics are wondrous and the photo mode is the icing on the cake. The game feels a lot smoother to play, and quicker too, although that might be my imagination. Or it might be because I screwed up my character build back in the day and stubbornly struggled on through the game. I mistakenly thought the best way to go was to level up all stats together and keep them nice and even, making my character a jack of all trades, and a master of none. Well not this time. Fear me, Boletaria. Fear me.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

@EclipseZero Yeah I am a bit worried I'm going to come unstuck at some point. I went full Dex in one of the Dark Souls games once (I can't remember which one it was, possibly DS II) and ended up regretting it because I couldn't settle on a weapon. That's put me off dexterity builds ever since. Quite excited about this one though. I'm aiming for the uchigatana but I don't remember the kilij at all so I'll definitely keep an eye out for that, cheers.

Camlambelot

All FromSoft games are great but I would really love a Bloodborne 2. Super excited for Elden Ring.. I'm just ehh for another remaster.

Camlambelot

CJD87

@Gremio108 I just platted DeS, and decided to go full-DEX also (albeit with some points ploughed into STR, allowing me to competently 2-hand some weapons).

I used the Uchigatana with the Sharp +5 upgrade, which scales excellently with DEX. Farming the needed Bladestone can be a bit of a chore, but there is a dark skeleton at the start of 4-2 that can be relentlessly slaughtered until you have the needed items to upgrade the standard Uchigatana - - -> Sharp.

@EclipseZero is spot-on regarding choice of Bow also.... the Sticky Compound Longbow scales amazingly with DEX too.

So between the Uchigatana and SCL, you have a great mix of up-front and ranged damage.... and these basically carried me through NG and most of NG+ (up until I had all the spells needed for Sage trophy).

I had a lot of fun, and felt that the Bow element really supported me through sections where ranged combat was essential (I didnt use any spells or magic at all throughout my playthrough)

I'll probably play a similar build for Elden Ring, had a blast with DEX! Normally I'd go STR, but I wanted a quicker and more fluid style of combat.

Stat-wise, by end of NG I think I looked something like this:
DEX @ 38
END @ 38
VIT @ 30
STR @ 18

Hopefully this helps, but honestly I think the game is fairly forgiving when it comes to builds... as long as you have some idea of how you want to play and don't waste stats in non-relevant areas (luck etc!)

CJD87

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Thanks for the tag, good luck, it's one of the few Miyazaki-penned Souls games I've given up on, well, there's only that and Sekiro to be fair. But yeah, I'm still interested to see how you get on, but I'd be even more interested with hearing about you playing Dark Souls III or Dark Souls Remastered as I'm far more familiar with those games.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Gremio108

@EclipseZero @CJD87 Okay cheers guys, you've made me feel like this is do-able. I'll take the advice on board and let you know how I get on. Also I'll be sure to look out for that Sticky Compound Longbow.

I too am trying to avoid magic for this playthrough (probably going to make a different character at some point and go full magic with them). Aiming for ninja-like speed so the Uchigatana sounds perfect.

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman What was it that caused you to give up on it? Just didn’t click for you? I keep hearing it’s probably the easiest of the Souls games. I do wonder about how I’d like the Dark Souls games if I either retried the first one or played the third one. I’m using Demon’s Souls as a barometer for how I’ll tolerate the series again and so far, so good. I really am liking the lore in DeS. With my first go at Dark Souls back on PS3, I really couldn’t get into the storyline or lore of the world, for some reason. I think part of motivating a player to get through the tough time and frustrating moments is having some narrative hook that makes one want to push through to find out more, and I didn’t feel it my first time through. With DeS I’m already connecting with the world. But we’ll see, it’s early yet.

Edit: And I’ve been following your adventures with Kena and glad to see it seems to be a good experience still. Looks like you’re making good progress.

@Gremio108 Good to have a fellow traveler in Boletaria, although this is my first try and you’re coming back. We’ll have to compare notes. You’re already ahead of me, as you’ve slain the first boss, but I expect that will come in the next 24 hours since I stopped right at the doorstep of Phalanx last night. And good luck with the Dexterity build, as that definitely looked like an adventurous path.

There was someone else here on the forums who was also about to start the game. Might have been @Keith_Zissou …. Or possibly another brave soul out there whom I’ve forgotten, my memory fails me.

Edited on by Th3solution

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution I just didn't like it as much as the Dark Souls games so wasn't motivated to continue. I've heard Bloodborne is much harder, but I beat that one. Anyway if you enjoy DeS I highly recommend trying DS3, apparently it shares a lot thematically with DeS, so you should enjoy that one as well. Kena's great fun, hopefully we can talk about that or DS3 depending on which one you try next. DS3 runs at 60fps on PS5 apparently, they say it looks beautiful. Which one do you reckon you'll go for next? And have you given any more thought to playing Elden Ring? As that's only two months away now.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Also, they also say that your first Souls game will be your hardest and they only get easier each time, Dark Souls Remastered has a finicky section involving invisible walkways that prevented me from completing it a second time, but yeah, still loved beating it once, had some encouragement from the community here to keep going when times got tough n' rough, I beat DS3 twice though so maybe that's really the easiest one, try it out, it does have some really hard bosses though so you may have to summon help if you feel the need. With further regard to what you said about DeS being the easiest - it was Miyazaki's first Souls game, and is very old, the AI is simply not gonna be as complex as it was in more recent entries such as Bloodborne and DS3, you never know, I may try Des again on PS5 once I get one, but to be fair Elden Ring is out soon and, as much as I love them, I'm not sure how many Souls game I am realistically capable of completing in my lifetime. (Patience/commitment-wise).

Gremio108

@Th3solution Yeah it would seem we're on this journey together. Reaching the Phalanx boss room is a satisfying achievement because it's practically right next to the archstone, so you can go back and prepare yourself to some extent. Get that pine resin at the ready and just go for it!

Just taken the Tower Knight down, although the path to his gaff was fraught with dangers. I'd forgotten how much trouble that bit gave me back in the day. I reckon that's the part that makes or breaks new players; not due to its difficulty so much, but more the stretch you have to repeat if you die. It can feel a little disheartening. It's done now though. Onwards!

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman I wasn’t aware that DS3 is 60fps on PS5. I’m probably want to check it out next. Either that or Elden Ring, depending on its reviews. I think it’s starting to look really solid in the preview trailers.

Fair enough with your previous experience with Demon’s Souls not being as good for you. I can’t say for sure, but I think this remake is a significant upgrade across the board from the original. It feels exceptionally polish. So far the AI feels pretty much on par with Bloodborne - enemies aren’t the brightest in the world, but they can hit really hard. To me the controls are much more responsive than Bloodborne, but it’s probably largely due to the 60fps. In fact, it’s hard for me to get used to the camera being so fast that it feels a slight unwieldy. A lot of hits I’m taking is because I try to turn and run or dodge and I awkwardly bump into walls or other areas I can’t see because the camera position is swinging around. I need to try some of the settings to see if I can adjust the camera to my style a little better.

Anyways, I really recommend you retry the game eventually when you get a PS5. But like you say, Elden Ring will come first. I’ll probably not get ER on day 1, (and honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m still playing Demons Souls when it releases) but will be eager to read your and others’ impressions. And don’t forget that if rumors are true, that we’ll be getting not only a Bloodborne remaster for PS5, but also a Bloodborne 2 eventually. It will probably be a year or two away before we hear about those but I suspect one or both of those are being worked on by BluePoint.

I’ll more than likely take a small break from Souls games after this, merely because I like to mix up genres to keep from getting stale. I do think Kena will be something I’ll play sooner rather than later though. It looks quite unique.

Th3solution

@Gremio108 Good work so far. At your current rate I’ll have trouble keeping up with you. Appreciate the heads up about Tower Knight.

As an aside, is it me or are you not feeling anything from the adaptive triggers? Clearly there is a setting to turn them off and on in the menu, but I can’t really feel anything with the weapons I’m using. There’s some nice haptic feedback and rumble, but the triggers haven’t given me any feedback or resistance with the catalyst, rapier, crossbow, shield parry, etc. Hopefully I don’t have a lemon here. Maybe it’s just certain weapons?

Gremio108

@Th3solution Yeah same here, although I've not fired a bow in anger yet

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic