Forums

Topic: Affordable 4K 120Hz TVs and monitors for PS5?

Posts 1 to 12 of 12

sabaki08

Hi, guys!

I'm in the market for a 4K 120Hz display, preferably a TV. From my modest searches they go well over £1000. When I looked for 4K TVs for the PS4 Pro, prices seemed just as steep, but then I found an LG 43UJ630V for £350, which was quite the bargain. Wonder if there's an equivalent for that on the market for 4K 120Hz displays, be them either TVs or monitors.

Passionate illustrator and avid gamer, I'm two years behind with gaming titles as I faithfully respect my nightmareish backlog.

PSN: sabaki08 | Twitter:

sabaki08

I'm also open to 1440p120 recommendations.

Passionate illustrator and avid gamer, I'm two years behind with gaming titles as I faithfully respect my nightmareish backlog.

zupertramp

rtings.com says the best budget 4k gaming TV is this Hisense: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-50-class-h8g-quantum-ser...

Personally I've never had a Hisense but the website has a good reputation so idk, you could give it a shot. Alternatively, my son has a 49" LG UL63 and it looks really good to me. Much better than my 4k Samsung which is NU7100 or something.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

sabaki08

Unless I looked up the wrong model, these don't seem to be 120Hz displays. Also, I live in UK and can't access the Best Buy website.

Alas, I already found something that goes with my needs and I would also recommend it to those looking for something similar. This is what seems to be the most affordable 4K120Hz TV display at the moment. It's already discounted by £200 and I reckon it'll be even cheaper in the next years.

https://ao.com/product/49nano866na-lg-nano86-tv-black-75357-1...

I bought my 4K TV alongside the launch of the PS4 Pro, also an LG TV, for £350, though the prices haven't come down since then on those models.

LosAlcatraz

You will need a TV that support HDMI 2.1 to be able to have the ability to use 120HZ at 4k there are only a handful on the market right now the model i ahve is the CX55 from LG but like you said most of then are well over £1500 but once the PS5 is out there will be opotions when brands adopt this new HDMI standard.

LosAlcatraz

sabaki08

@LosAlcatraz Thank you for the information. It was with the PS4 Pro that I learned about there being a new type of HDMI cables - the 2.0 ones, while the ones I had until now were 1.4. So there's now HDMI 2.1 that not only does it do 4K, but also at 120Hz. That narrows it down nicely since not many results pop up when searching for "4K 120Hz displays".

Good point on the prices reducing after the launch of these consoles as the tech will be normalized. The one I linked above is by far the cheapest I could find and given current prices, that's a pretty good deal.

Digit2021

I was looking at the OLED as an upgrade path. However terrified of screen burn. The cost of the LG OLED here in Australia is $4500 so I would cry if I game all day and find a UI of a game burnt in.

Digit2021

PSN: Digit2021

Digit2021

Cool, so by the sound of it media overhypes burnin. Or they are paid under the table by Samsung. It's good to hear from real people that actually own one of the sets.
I occasionally do get the privilege of gaming for 6 hour sessions, but never with the same game. It might be 3-4 hours of one, and then another. And with the PS5 it should be a lot easier and quicker to just auto switch games.
I find it hard to calibrate my current TV at times. Assassin Creed Odyssey with HDR the caves were not dark at all, they were very grey. And if I tried to make them dark then the black and whites wash out. That's LED issues I guess. I imagine OLED doesn't have this issue?
From what I read I am tempted with the C9 with VRR, HDMI 2.1 48Gbps, 120hz

Digit2021

InvaderJim

@DigiTM those C9 are becoming very rare.

Samsung has been on a burn in crusade campaign, but funny enough though the Samsung dept that makes the LED panels is switch from LED to Q-OLED, but it sounds like the Samsung dept that makes the TV's won't be using them for a while because it be strange for them to start selling OLED when they been saying how bad they are for so long. Strange world.

InvaderJim

zupertramp

@sabaki08 yeah my bad i think i overlooked the 120Hz stipulation. Glad you found something though. I almost went with a nanocell just recently but got cold feet for whatever reason.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Digit2021

I got cold feet with the OLED
Ended up getting the Sony X90H (X9000H) 75inch. It was also price that won me over as well.
The blacks are actually fantastic for what the screen and price is, not as good as OLED but boy those blacks sure are inky black. Best I've seen on a LED. Colour representation is near spot on out of the box too.
Plus Sony is updating the firmware for the HDMI 2.1 ports to incorporate all the features of the PS5.

Edited on by Digit2021

Digit2021

zupertramp

@DigiTM Yeah the Nanocell stuff being fairly new made me nervous as does the OLED burn-in issue. Ive read over many a forum where people attest to hours and hours of long gaming sessions with no problems but I still can't get myself to make the leap. Them steep prices definitely don't help. That Sony looks good and it's another I almost went with. I ended up with Samsung's Q80T mainly because it was on sale and I've never had a Sony so just went with the devil I knew. Also it'll be a bit before I get a PS5 anyway. Figure I'll just upgrade TV in tandem when the day comes.

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.