Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 3,861 to 3,880 of 4,206

XandertheWise

Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection for Playstation 4 came earlier today and Im glad.

Now Im going to throw away the Playstation 5 version that i didnt want when i went shopping at the walmart store a week ago in the trash

XandertheWise

HallowMoonshadow

I was looking over some of the older reviews in the review thread and I came across your review @Th3solution for Valkyria Chronicles 4 and the following discussion that was had about it from you, me and Ral.

... Whilst it's not exactly the title you reviewed Valkyria Chronicles: Remastered WAS only £5.59 in the recent sale.

Both you and Ral had positive things to say about it and the series in general so I decided to pick it up for something rather different for me with the Military/War based setting and strategic gameplay 😄

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@HallowMoonshadow That’s awesome! And kudos for remembering the discussion and the review. I forgot I even wrote that. 😅
Knowing it was useful for you motivates me to write some other reviews if they serve to facilitate and inspire people’s gaming decisions. I often feel like I’m rambling my thoughts on games out into the ether and annoying people with my endless blabbering. So thanks for the recall!

Valkyria Chronicles is a great game, and I’d assume the remaster is only better on PS4. I feel confident that you’ll find something to like (and maybe love) in the game. Although the sequel VC4 is probably a superior game overall, I think the first game is a better place to start and for that price you can’t go wrong. It’s been a few years, but the characters and overall emotional impact of the first game resonates more heavily with me than the follow up VC4, even though the gameplay is a little better in the latter.

I don’t think I mentioned it in my review, but I have played the actual sequel Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP and it was good too, but is probably almost impossible to find. Maybe it’ll eventually get the PS Plus Premium treatment like some PSP titles are getting. Nevertheless, it’s inferior to the two console games and completely unnecessary for enjoying VC4 if you end up wanting more. My prediction is that you will. But I’m about 50-50 with you, Foxy, so it’s all a crapshoot. 😂

Anyways, positive or no, I’ll really be interested how well you get along with it. It’s one of very few games I’ve played that doesn’t have any other games that are similar. At least I personally haven’t found anything quite like it. Granted, I don’t spend time in the strategy genre, but VC does it differently and then you add the artistic aspects and the loose historical basis with the fantasy twist… and it is just a package that stands peerless.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

Well, it wasn’t as easy as I thought, but I finally tracked down a copy of Dark Souls Remastered (for a decent price). Interestingly, pre-owned copies are going for about $25-30 (if you can even find them) but I tracked down a new copy finally on stock for $15 at Wal-Mart. The resale value is high enough that it’s a no-brainer. @colonelkilgore and @JohnnyShoulder will be proud of me. 😄

While I was shopping around, I actually came across a PS5 copy of Life is Strange True Colors for $23, so I went ahead and grabbed it. It’s another one that I don’t think I’ll ever find for cheaper than that, and can always sell back. The current PSN sale on the digital version is $30, so I felt like it was worth nabbing for later.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KilloWertz

@Th3solution Maybe you'll finally play True Colors someday now that you bought it.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Oooooh, well done! I find that really satisfying, hunting down a bargain like that. Hopefully you have a good time and it has not aged too much or we have over hyped it.

I was thinking about this the other day, and your post has reminded me. Not sure if that has already been said, but I think you said you were thinking of playing Elden Ring as your next Souls type experience. One of the dangers of doing that is that it may ruin the older games, as Elden Ring does improve on a lot of what went before it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@KilloWertz Yeah, planning to play LiS2 first, but I like having these in it back pocket for when I need something chill.

@colonelkilgore I’m sure I’ll like it. Even if I don’t, I have to at least try. The game beat me down about 7 years ago, so it will be my own story of redemption if I can beat it.

Incidentally, when I was in the store there was a customer chatting with the worker and I distinctly overheard them talking about FromSoft games and specifically about Bloodborne. The customer said something akin to “Bloodborne is far and away the toughest Souls game. It’s not even close.”
😒 I’m pretty sure that’s not a very common opinion.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, it’s honestly another reason I bit the bullet with DS1 — I do think it will be a lot more enjoyable doing it before getting around to Elden Ring.

Now I have 3 FromSoft games in the backlog. So I might get to DS1 sooner rather than later.

CJD87

@Th3solution For what it is worth, I would vouch also for @Th3solution 's comment about the FS games.
Having played DS1 a couple of years back, it will be far more enjoyable for you if you HAVENT played Elden Ring yet! ER's QoL improvements make some of the previous From offerings seem a bit archaic.... especially the lack of checkpoints near boss areas.

As for BB being toughest Souls games... although I'm only 30% in, not sure I'd agree with those guys you heard talking! It is tough sure, but it is certainly no Sekiro (!)

CJD87

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @CJD87 I wouldn't class Sekiro as a typical Souls games, but that is hands down most difficult FromSoftware game.

In terms of Souls games, for me Darks Souls 3 is a touch more difficult than Bloodborne. There is one late game optional boss which probably tips it over.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

MaulTsir

@Th3solution Glad to see you tracked down a copy if Dark Soul's! I know we were talking about the next journey in the From Software games, so hopefully you manage to get through it.

I was also contemplating going on to Elden Ring next as you know but after completing DeS and hearing a few people on here and other places say that playing the older ones before Elden Ring is recommended simply because of Qaulity of Life stuff and how the older games feel I to am now wanting to at least sample the other Soul's games before I go on to Elden Ring.

I'm not to worried about Sekiro as I think it looks completely different to the Soul's games and I don't think playing Elden Ring would have to much of an impact on it.

@CJD87 @JohnnyShoulder having played the DeS remake how much of a step down/up are the other Dark Soul's games in terms of gameplay/QoL aspects?

MaulTsir

HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution wrote:

I often feel like I’m rambling my thoughts on games out into the ether and annoying people with my endless blabbering.

... I feel this so much. Especially when you talk about something a little more obscure or something that just isn't part of the current flavour of the month. Doubly so when I'm typically like 5 years behind that ha ha

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Complete is only £14 at the moment as well and has even been a bit cheaper tracking it on PS Prices. Just after Original Sin 1 I decided to play the first... first. That and £5 was ridiculously cheap to pass up 😅

I wrote some thoughts about OS1 in the games you've beat thread a few days ago... But I plan to write something longform so it's why I didn't tag you in it. I want a bit more of a cooler head to actually process OS I and go back to OS II as well to see if my thoughts on that are any different and not just rose tinted before I start attempting that 😄

Th3solution wrote:

It’s been a few years, but the characters and overall emotional impact of the first game resonates more heavily with me than the follow up VC4, even though the gameplay is a little better in the latter.

I only booted it up and skipped through to the tutorial mission to give it a quick look. But I do have to say it has some pretttttty good music so far (Reminded me of Final Fantasy XII's) and the intro movie was surprisingly effective.

-EDIT- i just found out IT IS the same composer, Hitoshi Sakimoto (Who also did Odin's Sphere soundtrack). Ok... I know the soundtrack is gonna be an absolute banger at least!

Th3Solution wrote:

Nevertheless, it’s inferior to the two console games and completely unnecessary for enjoying VC4 if you end up wanting more. My prediction is that you will. But I’m about 50-50 with you, Foxy, so it’s all a crapshoot.

I was gonna say and yet I haven't steered you wrong... But then you didn't like Code Vein so...

And I'll make sure to keep you posted on VCR. Though it probably won't be for a good while as Yakuza: Like A Dragon has completely taken over at the moment.

Oh and congrats on finding a new copy of Dark Souls remastered pretty cheap! There's no royalty class, fragrant rings and mp regen for you this time round though... Ya gonna hafta git gud Sol

Ha Ha just kidding about the git gud part... I'm sure you'll do fine. You have already got through bloodborne after all!

... The graphical downgrade though from Demons Souls Remake is certainly gonna be a bit of a shock though 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

CJD87

@MaulTsir I think your position here is quite a positive one, as I'd imagine it would be much more difficult to go back to the older FS games if Elden Ring was your first foray into their portfolio...

Where DeS is concerned - graphically this is the most gorgeous game you'll experience within the FS pool, and to this day (IMO) remains an outstanding showcase for the PS5's graphical capabilities. I'm by no means a visual snob, but DeS really does 'look' fantastic.
Otherwise, I'd argue that DeS clearly shows a lot of early experimentation from FS - and quite a few of the ideas don't progress further in the series (World tendency for instance).
DS1-3 & ER play largely quite similar to DeS, with Bloodborne/Sekiro being outliers (especially Sekiro).

I've not played DS2, and only dabbled a bit with DS3, but I have completed DS1. Remake graphics aside, I think DS1 is an infinitely better/tighter experience than DeS in every way. However, if you only plan on playing one 'tradional' souls game from the trilogy - many seem to rank DS3 at the top.

Personally, I wouldn't want to keep you from playing Elden Ring for too long... because it really is that great. Maybe an idea would be to sample DS3, which actually has a lot of gameplay similarities, and then go straight into ER.

Probably a good idea to leave Sekiro until after ER, as Sekiro basically forces you to un-learn the 'traditional' DS/DeS playstyle.... which you may then find tricky to pick up again after.

But they're all great games! If time is no issue, I'd propose you go DS1-2-3-ER and then Sekiro. If time is limited, maybe just DS3-ER-Sekiro

CJD87

Th3solution

@MaulTsir I honestly think that the explosive popularity of Elden Ring is what has made copies of Dark Souls so much harder to find right now. It’s just a theory, but I’m pretty certain that a year or two ago I was seeing plenty of copies of DS Remastered lining shelves, both new and pre-owned. I was rather surprised how rare they are now, although online through EBay etc. there appears to be plenty available. As a general rule I don’t use EBay if I can find it at a brick-and-mortar.

I had already picked up DS3 a couple years ago, but copies of that are much easier to find than DSR. But if you’re wanting to he really adventurous, they do have the trilogy pack available online for about $45. At an average of $15 for each game, it’s about what I’ve paid, but it would have made it much easier rather than searching. Not sure if I’ll want to pick up DS2 down the road or not. I’ve overextended myself already 😅

@HallowMoonshadow Hey, if it’s any consolation, I enjoy your dives into the ‘obscure’ and ‘antiquated’ 😛

And yeah, I’ve been following your posts about DOS 1, and am surprised how much of a drop-off it has been for you compared to DOS2. I do wonder how well a revisit to DOS2 will hold up to your memories.

As for VCR, the art style is quite wonderful and helps it hold up. The music I don’t specifically remember, but it’s the kind of thing I rarely make note of; just a personal blind spot for me. But now that you mention, I think fondly of the whole atmosphere and I suspect the OST was a large part of building that ambiance.

I’ve also made note of your adoration of Yakuza LAD. It’s another franchise on my long list that would be nice to plow through one day. There’s a smidgen of over-saturation of the series, I feel, which makes the barrier to entry a little higher. I fell of Yakuza 0 a couple years ago, if you recall. Not for lack of enjoyment though, it’s just the length made it easy to get distracted.

And thanks for the encouragement on DSR. I am expecting a little dip in graphical fidelity, but few games can compete with DeS Remake in that department anyways. I do think PS5 can put out DSR at 60 fps, so there’s that at least. And I hope I’ll be okay as far as difficulty and being ‘gud’ enough 😂. I’ve actually been browsing builds online and it does seem like doing a magic build is a lot more complicated to accomplish, so I don’t guess it’s as much of a cheese as it was it DeS. Hopefully I can figure something out. I look back at my approach to the early hours of Bloodborne and I wonder how in the world I ever made it through that game, because I went in blind and really only started creating a decent build in the middle section of the game. I’m going into this completely unashamed to use some online recommendations so maybe it will go more smoothly in the opening hours. 😄

JohnnyShoulder

@MaulTsir The biggest thing I found difficult adjusting how sluggish movement felt. This was before I had a PS5 but after I had played Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 on PS4. I did eventually get used to however.

HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution wrote:

@HallowMoonshadow Hey, if it’s any consolation, I enjoy your dives into the ‘obscure’ and ‘antiquated’ 😛

That comment made me feel old 😂

Th3solution wrote:

And yeah, I’ve been following your posts about DOS 1, and am surprised how much of a drop-off it has been for you compared to DOS2. I do wonder how well a revisit to DOS2 will hold up to your memories.

Well I did take a listen to some of OS II's soundtrack last night and confirmed it was much more my kinda jam then OS I's.

But I did also listen to OS I's soundtrack too and there were quite a number of tracks that sounded rather good to me... and I don't recall them playing in game at all? Very confused about that. I would've definitely recognised them if I heard them in game so... I dunno what happened there 😯

Th3solution wrote:

I’ve also made note of your adoration of Yakuza LAD. It’s another franchise on my long list that would be nice to plow through one day. There’s a smidgen of over-saturation of the series, I feel, which makes the barrier to entry a little higher. I fell of Yakuza 0 a couple years ago, if you recall. Not for lack of enjoyment though, it’s just the length made it easy to get distracted.

So far there's been pretty much 0 knowledge needed of the previous Yakuza Like A Dragon titles beyond some trivia questions in the Vocational school side activity. At least as far as I'm aware of only playing 0 and Kiwami myself... So ya could always do a similar jump... After finishing 0 at least

Still has that Yakuza Like A Dragon flavour that's for sure even if it's turn based now. The Summons or "Poundmates" as LAD calls them are just magnificantly silly.

Th3solution wrote:

I do think PS5 can put out DSR at 60 fps, so there’s that at least. And I hope I’ll be okay as far as difficulty and being ‘gud’ enough 😂. I’ve actually been browsing builds online and it does seem like doing a magic build is a lot more complicated to accomplish, so I don’t guess it’s as much of a cheese as it was it DeS.

Dark Souls Remastered is at 60fps even on a PS4. Dark souls 2: Scholar Of The First Sin Edition is at 60fps too on PS4 and I think Dark Souls 3 has a PS4 Pro mode at 60fps so... You should be good on your PS5 to have the older titles running as silky smooth as possible 😄

Oh and magic is still pretty cheesy in Dark Souls. Just a bit harder to do so from the get go then Demons seeing as spells and Miracles are "number of casts" based in DS 1 & 2 rather then an Mp pool.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution

@HallowMoonshadow I definitely didn’t intend to make you feel old! 😂

As for LAD, I think it was quite genius of Sega to ‘reboot’ the series, so to speak, so it became more approachable for those new to the series. The change of combat to turn based, and the change in protagonists and storyline make for a nice independent experience, from what I see. Still, I really liked Kiryu and Majima and so I kinda want to see how their storyline goes, but it’s such a mountain of content that I’m not sure when I’ll tackle it.

So for Dark Souls, I might try to go more traditional then, with the sword and shield. I just hate playing defensively with blocking. It’s something that’s kept me from ever being good at fighting games because I want to just always attack. It’s probably why Bloodborne clicked with me. It’s also why Sekiro scare the daylights out of me, since parry is so essential to success. Maybe I’ll get over my subconscious reticence to use blocking maneuvers with this game though. I’ve always been a ‘dash and dodge’ kind of guy.

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution in addition to @HallowMoonshadow’s well-informed info, I think there was a specific PS5 patch for Dark Souls 3 that maintained the 60fps of the PS4pro version while upping the res (can’t remember what too though… prob 1440p I’d imagine).

edit. Rock solid 60 @ 4k apparently

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Thanks, bro. I am happy to see that. I’ve become more of a graphical and performance snob over the last few years. I’m gradually getting on board the “60 fps or bust” train, but usually gravitate toward fidelity modes, 4K, and Ray Tracing. 60fps and 4K sounds awesome for a game that old.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic